PDA

View Full Version : sb 1.04, sn 88.59, cu 9.17 solder. WTK on what is it, and who uses it?

TheDoctor
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Metal analysis that was done on some solder wire I have. Results from XRF are sb 1.04, sn 88.59, cu 9.17. The number don't quite add up to 100%, not sure what the accuracy of those devices are. High copper content. It's a canfield brand solder, bought it from a guy that claimed he owned a glass shop, so I would assume that it is used for stained glass. In a way, guess I got somewhat rooked, he told me it was 96/4 lead free, which would have made what was a good deal into an exceptionally good deal! My primary interest is selling it. Was wanting to sell it, and convert the funds into pure tin, but had some unexpected and very expensive medical bills for my children, so need the cash more than anything right now. Have close to 60 pounds of it, on 3 20 pound spools. Not sure what this stuff would be worth in that quantity, or who would be the best people/business to approach. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TheDoctor
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Still learning a lot about different alloys and their uses, but the more I learn, it seems the less I know. Could this possibly be used for hollowpoint casting? Like in a 20:1, or 16:1, but make them harder than that, without adding antimony, and yet not be brittle?

runfiverun
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
well.
the copper content of an alloy does well at about .2-.3%
if you added what you have at 1% your copper content would be fairly high.
if I had it I think I would add no more than 1/2% and make up the rest with other tin.
the copper will help your softer alloy flex and flow when in the hardened state.
a little is good more is not good.

captaint
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
So, Doc - I suppose you could break it up into 3-4 pound lots and sell it !!! A little judicious alloying and it could prove useful. A shame to waste all that Sn.... Mike

mold maker
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I would expect a 2% max added to pure lead would toughen it, and make it flow, more than hardening it.

TheDoctor
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Wow, would take a lot of lead to water this stuff down! In the small quantity sales, would have to see if anyone would be interested, and what a fair price per pound would be for both the buyer and seller. Since it is wire, it would be very easy to dispense an exact weight, vs. having to cut up an ingot.

runfiverun
04-11-2013, 01:43 PM
look at the copper thread by jim flinchbaugh it's right below this one.

garym1a2
04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I would guess about $10 per pound. I sold a bunch of Babbit for about $9 per pound and your stuff is a little bit better grade for those that want high copper.