PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

jh45gun
08-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Just finished the book " Lone Survivor" Written by Leading Petty Officer and Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell. This book is an eye witness account of Operation Redwing and the lost hero's of Seal Team 10. Luttrell was the lone surviving seal of that battle that took his 3 teammates on that Afganistan mountain and of the helicopter crash and deaths of the Seals trying to save that 4 man team. This book is excellent and gives insight on what it like to become a Seal and of the issues they have in Iraq and Afganistan. Several things inpressed me about the book with out giving away anything in the book. 1. Something I think a lot of folks do not know is they have to go by a set of rules over there (Rules of Engagement) number one being they cannot fire on anyone unless they are fired on first or they have identified the enemy and his intentions. He explains it well in the book. 2. He is not a big fan of the liberals in this country or the liberal press this is also gone over in detail. 3 he has a deep respect for GWB and is proud that he is his CIC. This is a really good book and I think any one who wants a better understanding of what is going on over in Iraq and Afganistan should read this from some one who lived it and still is. In the fall of 2006 he volunteered to go back to Iraq with his new Seal Team even though he did not have to. For him it was a personal choice to do so. Luttrell was awarded by President Bush the Navy Cross. He also was awarded the Purple Heart.

Shepherd2
08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
I got a copy of the book a couple months ago after I heard Luttrell being interviewed on the radio. I was interested in the story he was telling and impressed with the way he conducted himself.

I have always been curious about what kind of men become Seals. When I was stationed in Key Wet, Florida in '62-'63 there was an Underwater Demolition Team school there. I wondered about those guy running around with telephone poles on their shoulders. They were sailors too but like in a different Navy. Also I was on temporary duty prior to going to Key West with an often busted/promoted PO1 who had been a frogman in WWII and had a cigar box full of medals to prove it. He was different to say the least. We became good friends and were both in Key West for a couple months before he retired.

Reading the book confirmed to me that these are not ordinary men. There aren't many that could endure the punishment necessary to become Seals or their counterparts from other branches of the service.

The part of the book that has to do with the actual battle was almost unbelievable. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a true story and not fiction.

I don't want to give anything away either but if you want to read a story about modern day heros this is the book.

beemer
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
More people need to read this book,maybe they would have a little better understanding of what we are dealing with.

The Seals are not ordinary men, aren't you glad there are some left.

beemer