PDA

View Full Version : Need a Hard Lube Recipe

35 Whelen
04-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade hard lube? I mean hard as in needing heat. I'm using quite a bit of lube and would like to make my own rather than buy it.

Thanks!
35W

357maximum
04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
2parts Beeswax
1 part Vaseline

If you want it harder add a touch of paraffin....this lube will fail in loooong barrels or uuber high velocity rifles in the accuracy department. Good pistol/mild rifle lube though.

fredj338
04-11-2013, 01:42 AM
Take any of the basic lube recipes & add a bit more BW or some Carnuba, it will harden up pretty quickly.

sthwestvictoria
04-11-2013, 05:06 AM
I've used (by weight) 72%bee wax, 22% vaseline then 4%lanolin and 2%orange crayon.
I ccertainly stayed hard an in the lube grooves on 40degreesC (104F) plus days in my shed. I have taken it to 1700fps in 30-30.

Von Gruff
04-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I have taken 2/3 bees wax 1/3 vaseline to 2400fps and have 1 1/4 5 shot hunting groups with this lube. Worked through mid summer heat but does require warming the lubrisizer to use.

35 Whelen
04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not looking to run bullets to stratospheric velocities. I want the hard lube because it is SO much more convenient and less messy to me. I've been using Ceresin Scarlet with complete satisfactionin handgun and Rooster Red before that in handgun and rifle, but thought if I could make my own, why not?

35W

357maximum
04-11-2013, 11:07 PM
BE CAREFUL ......BE VERY CAREFUL........ them WHY NOTS can get expensive. :mrgreen:

btroj
04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Buy the lube, it will save you money. Trust me. Mike has spent hundreds making lube. I have spent over 100 in the last 3 months.
Making lube does not save you money.

Want a good, hard lube that is inexpensive? But from Lars at White Label, excellent lube and prices.

35 Whelen
04-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Naaa....I'll make only what I need. I did the same thing a few years ago with soft lube.

btroj
04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Oh, it isn't the amount. It is the fiddling. The many test batches. The need to make it better. It is addictive. I made 2 different batches just yesterday for testing.
Look at the "quest" thread and you will understand better.

One doesn't just "make" lube. One begins with good intentions, gets sucked in, and it becomes an obsession.

Stay away. It will get you.

35 Whelen
04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
LOL. I see what you're saying, but I make it and use it. I personally have never, in my limited experience of making lube, made an "inaccurate" lube.

35W

Eutectic
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I personally have never, in my limited experience of making lube, made an "inaccurate" lube.

35W

WOW! Is that right?? Please jump up to the "Extreme" Boolit Lube thread at the very top of the page and help us out!

Eutectic

btroj
04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Exactly Eutectic. We certainly need all the help we can get.

Accurate lubes are easy to make if you shoot between 50 and 80 degrees. It is the heat above 90 and cold below 40 that makes it more difficult. Heck, Eutectic shoot groups at sub zero temps, his needs are very specific and not easily met.

geargnasher
04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
LOL. I see what you're saying, but I make it and use it. I personally have never, in my limited experience of making lube, made an "inaccurate" lube.

35W

You're either extraordinarily lucky, haven't made much lube, or don't push the boundaries of temperature and pressure very far!

For your needs, I'd suggest a hard mix of beeswax, paraffin, and straight lithium soap chassis grease (not the high-temp stuff used for disc brake WB's).

Gear

35 Whelen
04-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Maybe I am lucky. And you are correct I've made very little lube. A few years ago I bought a now forgotten amount of beeswax and made a three batches from a recipe I'd found here that sounded good. I used this lube as well as Zambini Red (hard) lube for High Power. Our matches are once a month year round so I've used both lubes in conditions from a little below freezing to around 100°. The lube I used depended totally on what I felt like using the day that I sized. Sometimes I'd get tired of the gooey, sticky home-made lube, so I'd use the Zambini. I'd have to say I probably used the gooey stuff most. Over the last 7 or 8 years I've done lots of cast bullet load testing here at the house. Again, I've used both hard and soft lube and I never really noticed any difference in the two. But again, maybe I'm just really lucky...or naive.
Lately have been doing a lot of shooting with my new Flat Top Blackawk .44 Special. Have gotten groups as good as 6"-ish at 100 yds. But just yesterday I lubed some bullets for my 45 with the gooey stuff and got a group a little over 1" @ 25 yds.

35W