PDA

View Full Version : star reloader

bart55
04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
just became an owner of a star reloading macine ( got it from a friend who bought out a bunch of stuff from an old bullseye camp perry shooter .Unfortunately it is a conglomeration of things (maybe not related but lots of dillon 650 inserts a dillon casefeeder that seems to be attached to it in some way and another machine piece which I don t know about . the loader is in 45acp and the powder is still in the hopper along with the primers .I would love to ask the origional owner (whom Iknow )but unfortunately he has dementia. I absolutely love the look of the machine ,it is real class. I have a dillon 550 and a square deal but this thin g looks like a an old bentley compared to a ford tarus. any body have any experience with one of these? I am also trying to work out a deal on a master caster that my friend got in the deal along with a bunch of molds.He doesnt cast (I do) it seems clear that I should have possesion of that little gem . Of course there is a matter of money! all bull aside I really would love to crank out some 45's on this old classic .

Case Stuffer
04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
They are the best handgun reloaders ever produced ,period!. Two different models Progressive which are .38 / .357 and UIniversal which does other caliberas. I have a progressive I purchased around 35 years ago ,it has a Hulme case feeder and with someone keeping primer tubes filled I have loaded over 1,000 rounds per hour on it.

There are User's Forums for them and I foud this Thread here without any effort.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?194608-Star-versus-HOR-Dillon-RCBS-etc

bart55
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
thanks for the link ,I am going to do some more research and get this thing going

blackhawk44
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
The Gurus of the Star gather at www.starreloaders.com/forum and they are dedicated.

45-70bpcr
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I just got one in .45 acp 2 weeks ago. Have not loaded on my Star yet but I am learning about them. They are one sweet machine. First time I pulled the handle I was in love. You probably know there is no powder safety so if you pull the handle and there is no cartridge under the funnel powder is coming out anyway. Also it primes at the end of the down stroke. I do not have a case feeder with mine and am watching for a Hulme. Would also like to find a tool head and conversion for .38 but converting to another caliber on these does not come cheap. You could buy another complete Square Deal in the caliber you want for the same money as just the conversion parts for the Star. As BlackHawk44 said check out the Starreloaders.com for lots of info. Not a ton of activity on the list but some very knowledgeable guys. If you haven't seen these upgrades you need to look. Again cool but not cheap http://www.sbsdistributing.com/index.php?pr=Star_Press_Accessories Story is Mike Dillon got his start in the reloading world working with Star building the "SuperStar" which was the Star made to load .223. Many of his ideas came from the Star.

Have fun

just became an owner of a star reloading macine ( got it from a friend who bought out a bunch of stuff from an old bullseye camp perry shooter .Unfortunately it is a conglomeration of things (maybe not related but lots of dillon 650 inserts a dillon casefeeder that seems to be attached to it in some way and another machine piece which I don t know about . the loader is in 45acp and the powder is still in the hopper along with the primers .I would love to ask the origional owner (whom Iknow )but unfortunately he has dementia. I absolutely love the look of the machine ,it is real class. I have a dillon 550 and a square deal but this thin g looks like a an old bentley compared to a ford tarus. any body have any experience with one of these? I am also trying to work out a deal on a master caster that my friend got in the deal along with a bunch of molds.He doesnt cast (I do) it seems clear that I should have possesion of that little gem . Of course there is a matter of money! all bull aside I really would love to crank out some 45's on this old classic .

bart55
04-15-2013, 12:04 AM
yep,I learned about the powder that way and the primers ,have not had much time to play with it but I will be loading with it soon .