PDA

View Full Version : Lyman expand/powder charge die

logeorge
04-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Does anyone make expander plugs for the Lyman "Multi-Expand/Powder Charge" die? I called Lyman. The lady said they were on the website in the parts section, but I couldn't find them. I'd like to get some in different than standard diameters. If I were still working in a toolroom, I'd make my own, but don't have access to lathe and O. D. grinder since retirement. My idea is to experiment with different sizes to see if not having the case so tight on the bullet will help accuracy in my revolvers.

Ben
04-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Good luck finding them ? ?

I loaded some .356 " dia. full wadcutters recently as an experiment in 38 Special cases and fired them out of a standard S & W Model 10 revolver.

They seated effortlessly . About 10 % of them ended up being squib loads. Not enough neck tension ! !

I went back to .358 " dia wadcutters, the problem totally disappeared.

Sometimes case tension ( more often than not ) is your friend.

Ben

logeorge
04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Ben: I'm going by J. Marshall Stanton's handbook (Beartooth Bullets)on fire-lapping in which he claims that more than 0.001" smaller than the bullet swages the shank down to the case inside diameter and Dave Scoville's recent article in "Handloader" wherein he says the same thing esseitially, but says gas pressure will expand them out again to fit the chamber throat. I've never thought much about it until reading those sources. I suppose bullet hardness would make a difference in how much reduction would occur. I make no claim to expertise on this, just thought I'd try expanding to various inside diameters and see what happened, while keeping a constant bullet diameter. Stanton claims that using a Redding Profile Crimp die will solve problems with bullets jumping crimp with heavy recoil. I checked out your website. Nice work! Do you make stocks also? L. O. G.

Ben
04-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Nice work! Do you make stocks also? L. O. G.

No, I don't make stocks , that is far too labor intensive.
I specialize in finishing and refinishing.

Thanks,

Ben

logeorge
04-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Ben: AMEN!! I have a #5 Rem. rolling block that needs a stock and fore end, and enough cherry wood to make them. At the rate my stock work goes, I'll probably not live long enough to get it done. It takes me forever to fit and finish a semi-inletted stock. Never claimed to be a wood worker. If I had a milling machine, maybe I could get them roughed in, but hate to think how long it will take doing it all by hand. Given some machinery to work with, I can get the metal work done, but my stock work is no so hot. By the way, did you have any damage from the storm the other day? All we got here was heavy rain. L. O. G.

Ben
04-16-2013, 08:43 PM
My neighbor had his roof destroyed and trees down.
We were fine.
Looks like the Lord was watching over us again.

Ben