PDA

View Full Version : Lee 309-200-R undersized

VintageRifle
04-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Hello, ran into my first major lee mold problem. Picked this up at a gun show new last month. It is the older mold block design. Problem was it had a large amount of flashing from when the mold was cut without the blocks being tight.

Mold drops a nose of .297 to .299 and bands at .307 to .3075. Using wheel weight as alloy.

Should I send this back to Lee? Didn't get a receipt, but seller is a dealer for Lee and I might be able to get it replaced by him.

Would it be too small for a Swiss K31?

RickinTN
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
From what I know of the swiss, yes it would. It's too small for a 30-30 or .308 as well. I have very few of the older style "rattle trap" Lee molds but have purchased several of the new design. The difference is daylight and dark. I understand the new cavities are cut in a different fashion than the old cavities. I can't confirm this, but the new molds do seem to have better cavities and much less flashing around them. Of my new style molds I've used they cast anywhere from .002" to .004" larger than spec'd. These are handgun molds however and the rifle molds could be different. I would certainly return the mold as it is undersize for any 30 cal rifle, .309 being a minimum in my mind, and hope to get a new style in the same bullet.
Good Luck,
Rick

04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
If it were mine, I'd beagle it with a piece of tape on only one mould block, to start.

However, if I'd purchased it from Midway or Midsouth, for instance, I'd request an exchange and shipping reimbursement.

leadman
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
About 2 years ago Lee started using a CNC mill to cut the cavities one side at a time. The Lee group buy for the Makarov boolit was one of the early batch cut this way. It was cut .020" off center and the whole run had to be replaced.
So many of the old style 2 cavity molds were cut with the mill. I have seen some of these with flashing on the edges of the cavities.
To the OP you can play with casting temperatures and alloy types to see if you can get the mold to drop larger. May not work to get to the desireable .309" though. Lee has been good about replacing defective molds for me lately so you can call them and send it in.

Larry Gibson
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
If it were mine I'd add 2% tin to the "wheel weight as alloy" and cast some bullets again. The lee mould is cut for a different alloy than WWs with a higher tin to antimony ratio for a better mix in solution. The better alloy also gives a better mould fill out with larger diameter bullets.

This is the common thread of the complaint of moulds (Lyman, RCBS, Lee, etc.) not casting to nominal diameter. That common thread is the use of straight WW alloy (assuming COWWs as with SOWWs added decreases the diameter also). Add the 2% tin and cast again with the alloy maintained at 710 - 735 degrees. Let the bullets AC and age for 7 - 10 days before doing anything else to them....then measure.

BTW; those who are aware of my standing offer for so called "undersize" casting moulds (particularly Lyman moulds), I have yet to purchase such a mould.

Larry Gibson

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd definately contact the vendor...swap it out if they will allow it.
Jon

VintageRifle
04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Will check with the vendor. If he won't swap it, I will see what Lee will do.

This is my first Lee mold that casts below the stated size with ww alloy. All my other Lee molds are right on or over.

VintageRifle
04-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Really late update.

Never got around to being able to exchange it. Put the mold away and forgot about it.

Followed to powder coating threads and gave it a try. These work for powder coating as the powder coat increases the diameter. Just have to give them a try. Hope to do so in a few weeks.