PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of pewter.....

leadbutt
04-10-2013, 08:45 PM
so far as the collecting goes i can identify tableware and candlesticks pretty well but am totally lost on the picture frames. ive seen a few that i would almost bet on but couldnt commit. fakes are getting pretty good as well. i was scanning the isle and seen a beautiful brushed pewter candlestick only to find it was a huge piece of plastic. but anyway.... any pointers on the picture frames? thanks

L. Bottoms

leadbutt
04-19-2013, 10:39 PM
so.... no one has any imput at all?

L. Bottoms

NewbieDave007
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Sorry, but I don't even know what I don't know about this stuff yet. Good luck.

kbstenberg
04-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I've never seen any picture frames. All of mine has come from serving platters, glasses. There is a lot of lookalikes out there. When I first started collecting pewter the wife found what was supposed to be a full set of dish's (plates, servers, saucers, goblets, sugar& creamer for 6 people) I didn't have the heart to tell the dealer it wasn't pewter

hickfu
04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I have seen plenty of frames I figured were Pewter but unless it is stamped Pewter, they stay there. I have only purchased 1 pewter frame and it was stamped Pewter.

Doc

leadman
04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
I also have purchased picture frames that were marked pewter. I would not buy anything not marked.

Old Ranger
04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I've come across a few picture frames here in Ontario. The only ones I've bought have been marked Pewter produced by a Canadian Company. Many others are or maybe pewter but are Made in China. Who knows what they might contain? If you might still be using lead in paint what is in your Pewter? Or is it really Pewter at all?

leadbutt
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I have seen plenty of frames I figured were Pewter but unless it is stamped Pewter, they stay there.

Doc

yea... thats where im at. thanks for the input guys.

L. Bottoms

10 ga
04-24-2013, 08:44 PM
I check them with my handy "Leatherman" pliers. Grab a corner and bend, if it bends it's probably pewter and home it comes. Then cut up and into the smelter. Haven't missed yet with the "if it bends" test.

hickfu
04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
I just picked up another 6.4lbs of pewter at the thrift stores today.... Cost me about $5.00

Doc

04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
I just picked up another 6.4lbs of pewter at the thrift stores today.... Cost me about $5.00

Doc

My thrift store wanted $7 just for a pewter cream container from a tea set.:shock:

dbosman
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
My thrift store wanted $7 just for a pewter cream container from a tea set.:shock:

Given the price for tin and solder, it may have been worth it. But, you don't want to encourage them to keep prices up.

Defcon-One
04-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Not much weight to the picture frames that I have seen.

I'd buy the bigger items with more weight. The ugly stuff with low, negotiable, prices. Also, the commemorative things from some long past event that nobody ever cared about. You can always get a deal on those things!

hickfu
04-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I went to a local thrift store one time and the guy was just putting out a 4 piece set of pewter, tea pot, creamer, sugar bowl and something else... I asked how much, he said $75.00 I laughed at him the whole way out the door. I do pass up a bunch because of prices but when I see it cheap I jump on it.

Doc

OverMax
04-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Stay away form candle sticks until you know which ones are one piece cast pewter and which one's aren't. (nuts and bolts holding one together are usually not all pewter)
Pewter is indeed heavy for its size. You almost have to scratch it to know for sure. It resembles soft lead or solder when scratched. Many times its outside surface is painted to give it that silvery look. But underneath that paint the metal resembles a flat looking lead gray color. If you pick up a picture frame and scratch it pretty easy. And you know its not pot metal or aluminum your holding because of its unusual heavy weight. You can bet on it being pewter than. After you buy enough here and there you come to know what is and what isn't without the need to scratch. I make it a point not to buy cream pitchers, plates, or candle holders. (Just picture frames. An item I can judge for myself pretty well.) If I have to get stuck for a poor guess. I rather it not be something like a candle stick holder or a cream pitcher. Sometimes pewter is stamped and many times it isn't. I guess that is up to the items manufacture and the Export Laws of the country it came from.

O/M

hickfu
04-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Also with candlesticks, most are weighted so be careful before melting. The bottom sides will most likely be rolled around the bottom so unroll it first because it will have a yellowish colored **** weight that you dont want to get in the mix. No biggie if you do but its best to get it out before it goes in the pot.

Doc

merlin101
04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Also with candlesticks, most are weighted so be careful before melting. The bottom sides will most likely be rolled around the bottom so unroll it first because it will have a yellowish colored **** weight that you dont want to get in the mix. No biggie if you do but its best to get it out before it goes in the pot
Doc

YEAH BOY that stuff stinks! I was kinda shocked when I found that was about half the total weight