PDA

View Full Version : Handi Rifle Rifling

mrbill2
04-10-2013, 07:44 PM
What kind of rifling is used in 30 cal.Handi Rifle barrels?

leftiye
04-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Durn, I've got a few Handis, none .30 cal though. I opened this thread hoping to find some info. My .45-70 has 2.5 thou deep rifling (.452 groove and .457 lands (on the bullet), it doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence. Can't remember what the .357 max rifling is like, but it doesn't seem to have accuracy issues. The form of the rifling is standard, not micro groove, but I suspect that there are micro groove barrels out there. Marlin used to put their seconds on the Handis, I suspect.

mrbill2
04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
I know a fellow that just bought a Handi in 30-30, he thinks it is micro groove. Just trying to get more info. to see if it is indeed micro groove. Anybody on here have one.

doctorggg
04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I have one in 300 blackout but I haven't shot it or slugged it. I will have to take a look and see what the barrel is like.

dtknowles
04-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Sorry for my laziness but I am not rushing out to slug mine or measure a recovered bullet but I can picture the bullet and it is not microgroove, even without the bullet I would have noticed the first time I cleaned the barrel. The recovered bullet was fired from a recent production HandiRifle in 30-30. The .308 sized gas checked bullet looks perfect with the gas check intact and clean clear wide lands and grooves. I don't know the twist.

Tim

goofyoldfart
05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
MrBill2: go to www.go2gbo.com and look for the forum on handi centerfires. those people know their handi's. you really need to slug your barrel and check the twist with a tightly patched ramrod. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofyoldfart

goofyoldfart
05-28-2013, 02:21 PM
MrBill2: go to www.go2gbo.com and look for the forum on handi centerfires. those people know their handi's. you really need to slug your barrel and check the twist with a tightly patched ramrod. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofyoldfart

ETA: went to site myself. basic rifling is standard-- not micro. Pitch is 1 in 10;-)