PDA

View Full Version : .357 Colt

44man
04-10-2013, 07:43 PM
My friend came to shoot today and brought the Colt and a bunch of loads. It really belongs to his son.
It shot very good but the trigger was a Paul Bunyan deal. My eyes watered trying to make it fire! I said it has been many years since I took one apart but did he want it worked on?
I took it down, found 10 dead mice, 30 stink bugs, assorted stuff that just does not grow on earth and a lot of rust. I actually had to dump it into my trash can. When I took the crane screw out, the spring and plunger vanished. I tore everything out under my bench and used a strong magnet but never found the parts.
I put him to work cleaning in the mean time.
Carol came down and I told her so she got the light, no luck. Then she found the parts---GUESS WHERE, ---in a chamber! :veryconfu
I reshaped the trigger spring a little, sprayed and lubed and put it back together. What a difference, feels real good.
A happy friend is a good day.

missionary5155
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Greetings
Parts do end up in the most unexpected places.
That must have been one well preserved junk yard. I trust you will never see another.
Especially liked the "assorted stuff that does not grow on earth " !
Mike in Peru

44man
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I have gremlins.
I was awake one night at about 3 AM and heard the floor creaking behind my bed, more then when my fat butt walks there. The steps came up the side and I had a hand on each shoulder push me down hard into the bed so I bounced. I had no fear at all for some reason.
I have heard footsteps above me when in the basement but the small room is full of stuff. I hear noise on my deck, turn the light on and there are no animals. My dog looks and jumps up too.
Parts just fall straight to the rug and are GONE.

JHeath
04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Odd. My problem is completely reassembling something and having parts left over.

If your friend has a project (for example) rebuilding an engine, it's very funny to deposit a stray circlip on his bench after he's finished and re-installed the engine. I do not know the gunsmithing equivalent but will figure it out. Ha ha.

44man
04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Odd. My problem is completely reassembling something and having parts left over.

If your friend has a project (for example) rebuilding an engine, it's very funny to deposit a stray circlip on his bench after he's finished and re-installed the engine. I do not know the gunsmithing equivalent but will figure it out. Ha ha.
My father did the best. He was always working on his car and would have parts left over. He just tossed them in the trash! :veryconfu
Every car he ever bought had the air cleaner removed and tossed out. I asked why and he said the engine can't breath with that stupid thing. Instant oil burners!
When I was little, I watched him and a few neighbors remove a straight eight engine on the street with a plank to slide it to the ground. No chain fall. I don't know how they got it back in the car but they did. I think they built the pyramids! Look out now, I am going to do it. When a friend needs gun work I am going to slide out a bunch of parts and look confused. [smilie=w:

Silver Jack Hammer
04-12-2013, 09:11 AM
That's how Series 80 1911's become Series 70's. "I don't know what happened to the little parts, they just launched and landed into the carpet somewhere." Brownell's sells a shim to take up the slack in the void in the frame.

historicfirearms
04-12-2013, 09:27 AM

That's a good one. I will have to try that next time. My boss has an aircraft maintenance shop and I bet I could get some interesting looking parts to leave lying around...