PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what an alloy is

country gent
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
A friend was given 3 50+ lb ingots of a lead alloy of some sort. Not sure what it is. Not pure lead for sure. When hit with a hammer it rings fairly clear. From the size and shape of the ingots Im guessing linotype. But some form of babbit isnt out of the question either. My question is is there any way to tell what lead antimony tin is here easily at home? This came from a garage sale down the road from his home. I have a starrett automatic center punch here. He is bringing a block out this weekend I am planning on setting it to Barely ding tis metal then pure lead to compare the dings. I could also use an ingot of my alloy. Is there any way to tell more accuratly?

a.squibload
04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
At home probably not.
Local scrapyard might test for you with
handeld laser scanner.
There has been discussion here about specific gravity,
weight vs volume, might get you close.

meeesterpaul
01-22-2014, 10:39 PM
I go to a local specialty metals scrap yard. They have scanned things for me and I've asked them to work something out so I can bring samples by for a scan.
A friend was given 3 50+ lb ingots of a lead alloy of some sort. Not sure what it is. Not pure lead for sure. When hit with a hammer it rings fairly clear. From the size and shape of the ingots Im guessing linotype. But some form of babbit isnt out of the question either. My question is is there any way to tell what lead antimony tin is here easily at home? This came from a garage sale down the road from his home. I have a starrett automatic center punch here. He is bringing a block out this weekend I am planning on setting it to Barely ding tis metal then pure lead to compare the dings. I could also use an ingot of my alloy. Is there any way to tell more accuratly?