PDA

View Full Version : Linotype price?

Baryngyl
04-10-2013, 05:12 AM
I picked up some Linotype, wondering how much it is worth?

I plan to list some of it in a day or so in the S&S section.

Right now I have a SFRB of a lot of spacers and some type, it weighs 18lbs 4.2oz and a MFRB that so far has 25 pounds in it and I still have to sort a lot more, probably will end up with 200-300 pounds total when I am done sorting.
Here is a 2 pics of the SFRB of Linotype.

Also, you people that want to buy Linotype, do you prefer it in it's unmelted form so you can see exactly what your getting and it is in smaller form to add to you pots of lead easier or do you want it melted into ingots?

Thank You
Michael Grace

fryboy
04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
i've seen it from a buck a pound ( rare ) to around $2 , i recently did a deal where if i bought the whole barrel i could get it for $1.50 ( as opposed to the $2 he wanted for just part of it ) i passed the surplus in the S&S section for my cost , it didnt last long
the raw vs. ingots is or rather will be a matter of personal preference , i will state that raw is a big pain to fill up a box with any kind of real weight to it

Baryngyl
04-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah, took something like 2-3 hours to fill a SFRB, between sorting for the right sizes to fit into it and my keeping trying to read what was on them. LOL

The one SFRB is all I intend to sort that way, the rest will either be sold by what I can dump and shake into a MFRB or as melted into ingots.

Michael Grace

Smokepole50
04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I would think bars would be best. I just bought some today from Rotometals and it was a little over $3 a pound but they say its BHN22. Can you verify the hardness once you turn it into bars? Also Rotometals has free shipping if you spend $100 with them so the shipping cost would need to be added into the equation of cost to the end user I think.

Here is the Rotometals link.........
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/linotypealloy.htm

captaint
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I will not EVER melt lino, except when it goes in the pot for boolits. It's always possible that it will be left over and you will want to sell it someday. If melted into ingots - Lino, not Lino, who knows. Nobody. Certainly not the buyer. Don't melt it. My .02. Mike

fredj338
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Certainly leave it in type form, put as much in a SFRB or MFRB as possible, tape the heck out of it. $2/# shipped is not outrageous. I have paid as little as $1/# & bought 100# at that last time. Rotometals is the retail benchmark. Of course you would have to sell for less / # as they offer free shipping.

badgeredd
04-13-2013, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't buy lino in ingots unless it was certified from someone like Roto. I also won't pay more than $2/lb shipped. Purity and content of depleted lino can be suspect. Just my opinion...

Edd

acsteve
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
just bought 44lbs in large ingots, with foundary stampings for $88 delivered to my door. I am wondering if I should by the other 150lbs he has

badgeredd
04-15-2013, 03:42 PM
just bought 44lbs in large ingots, with foundary stampings for $88 delivered to my door. I am wondering if I should by the other 150lbs he has

If you're pretty sure of the content and want something to harden up pure lead, I'd say yes. That's a fair price in my mind.

Edd