PDA

View Full Version : More work with BFR 45-70 and 378 gr.

44man
08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I tried Reloader 7 today and just jumped a grain at a time from lack of enough boolits cast. Anyway, 41 looked good and so did 42 so I have to work in half grain amounts now. There was a steady increase in group size as I went up to 44 gr's. Thats the top row. The recoil was up there and the impact on my steel backstop was unreal. Dust flew everywhere and I had to wait for it to clear before shooting again. I can only imagine what this WFN will do on deer.
The bottom left two are 50.5 gr's of Varget.
The right one is the best I could get with 2400. It just doesn't show the accuracy potential or velocity.
I am surprised Varget shot so good, had some unburned powder in each case. I still have half a box of 5744 loads to shoot yet.
I need new glasses, darn red dot looks oblong now.

leftiye
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm watching your development here closely. especially with the slower powders. I figger that if it works well in your 10" barrel, that it'll do well in the longer ones too. How was the accuracy with Rel 7? You've posted so many threads on this that I can't remember if 4198 did any good.

44man
08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Those top targets are the Reloader 7 and it looks like it will do for deer unless I find something better. This particular boolit has been hard to get to shoot. I don't think the GG's are large enough and it is a PB. I made the mold a long time ago and never had luck with it.
I am afraid of 4198 with the cast boolits. It worked OK with jacketed but with a medium load and cast I was getting pressure excursions where a case now and then would not extract while the rest would fall out.
I will post after I try 5744.
I am surprised with Varget because it is so slow for a 10" barrel. I tried 3031 once and it was soooo slow plus the barrel was full of powder. No recoil either but it still shot some good groups. I like Varget and it is super accurate in my Swede and also in my 7BR even though Hodgden said it wouldn't work. This powder has uses even Hodgden hasn't worked out. I was also using a LP mag primer instead of a LR in the BFR. Mine will handle LR primers because I put a 26# spring in it.