PDA

View Full Version : Can a Lee production pot be upgraded?

dilly
04-10-2013, 12:05 AM
How come people can't seem to modify the Lee "drip o matic" as they call it by replacing the spout with a quality one? I haven't seen one in person but all the complaints I have read are about that spigot. I have seen so many resourceful projects on this forum I'm just surprised I haven't seen this one. Is there something integral about the design with that spigot that makes it impossible to modify?

I would think if they would go through the trouble of attaching a PID to it they would see about keeping it from dripping.

Of course as a disclaimer I know there are many customers who are happy with their Lee pots, but I have heard many who aren't as well.

dromia
04-10-2013, 02:14 AM
There are people and posts on here who have matched the spigot and spout profile for less drippy Lee.

Cane_man
04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
there are lots of tips in the archives... i polished the tip of the valve rod, the new handle is now steel (weighted), made sure i used clean lead, did not scrape the bottom of the pot when i fluxed at the beginning and i have not had any drips yet from my new 4-20.... those were the tips that helped me get to a good start with my drip-o-matic

Beesdad
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
I also polished the valve rod tip and valve seat, lubed the rod linkage .... Problems solved..

Frozone
04-12-2013, 04:33 AM
I actually did reprofile the seat and rod. Added a 3 angle cut in the seat that had a very small contact (less area to catch crud) and put a matching straight bevel on the rod.
Lapped the 2 together. Added extra weight to the handle and had absolutely no drips at all.

At least until I dropped the darn thing on it's top. I needed to replace the spout/rod, I didn't put as much effort in the next one and it does drip some.

I lack a lathe ( and a place to put one), but if someone will cut em i have drawings for an improved spout/rod.

USMC87
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't have the drip problem that much with mt lee pot but after researching I'm going to build my own.

chirodr1
04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Mine drips. I use a fine wire that is used to tie plants. Running it up the spout while twisting it at the top with a flat screwdriver. In addition I put a small stainless cup under the spout to catch the drips. The pot is placed on a large commercial baking sheet that helps contain any splatter. I tried draining and cleaning which helped for awhile but the drip returned. You would think it could be designed a lot better. I may have to work on that but am too busy casting boolits right now.