PDA

View Full Version : How about a success story?

Tinbender
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Hello Folks,

I don't talk on the internet often but noticing that so many come to get answers to their casting difficulties ( understandably ) I thought a post without any might be a good way to say thanks. To be clear I would have had ALL the usual ones had I not taken advice to study here first....then try.

My brother who I've reloaded with off and on since our teens in the seventies bought a Lee Pro 4 thinking all he had to do was fill it... pour...stuff the cases and enjoy. He was dejected when I shared some of the info from CB with him and handed me his pot and said "have at it". OK with me :) so................................

Put together a PID controller

Slugged bores

Bought Lee 8mm 175gr mold, cleaned, measured, lapped to drop .326 (AC WW-touch of tin)

Bought Lee 309 113gr FN and did as above to .310 ( Thanks OldFeller )

Bought a Lee .309 sizer which pushes out .309 :).....will lap later if needed.

Our first loads will be in the 14-1600ish range ACWW Red dot and 2400 when we can get some LRP :(

Following instructions from here and information in "From Ingot To Target" which was recommended here and spending 6-8 hours in set-up and getting familiar..... the results have been just like all those nice pictures I see here. We have not loaded yet but I am truly not looking to see anything difficult to work with.

Following more advice I will get a couple of NOE or Miha molds soon for a few pistol caliburs.....started out with the Lee stuff since I had no idea how much fun this would be :)

FWIW have never cast a bullet in my life....many thanks Dave

Tinbender
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Forgot to say I used once fired brass from each rifle to verify that the chamber would allow what the bore probably wants. At any rate the post was not meant to be a tutorial but rather an encouragement to other new casters and a thanks to the experienced ones for making life easy for the rest of us :) Dave

Bigslug
04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the Collective. You have been assimilated!:drinks:

smoked turkey
04-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Tinbender: You have certainly done it right by doing a lot of research before you come in asking questions. Not that it is bad to do that. Just that you figured it out for yourself. That is with a lot of help from the old hands here! Good job and I wish you total success. Welcome to the additicion.

runfiverun
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
lpp can be subbed for lrp with cast loads.
I usually cut off to the rifle primers at about 40-k.
but 16-17 grs of 2400 in a 0-8 or the 0-6 case no problem with the pistol primers.
in fact I went from 18 grs with lr to 19 with lp in my 0-6 to maintain accuracy.

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Well done, good to hear from someone that is spending time absorbing and learning.

I wish you the best results.

Bill

Tinbender
04-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome,

I really did not figure anything out for myself.................just followed directions :) However that may not be the story I tell over a beer or two later.....don't tell

I will keep my eye out for some LPP

Think the panic buying is coming to an end and looking forward to a market where many people are trying to get back even a bit of the money they spent for things that will never be used.

Thanks again Dave

captaint
04-11-2013, 09:58 AM
For my money, Dave, you got it right. There is so much to learn in the beginning - and to ask all the questions, one at a time, it can become a bit much. I, personally, found all the reading (and still do) very interesting. Heck, one morning I spent about 3 hours just reading about Hensley & Gibbs boolit molds and company history. All great stuff. So much to absorb, then and now !! enjoy Mike