PDA

View Full Version : more gas check confusion

Taylor
04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
While waiting on my .35 cal/9mm plain base check maker from Pat Marlin,I've been searching around gathering info on various check maker's and different materials to use with them.Looking at the Freechex web sight,he has a made a statement that plain base bullets should not be checked,he say's it is dangerous and he advises against it.So far his site is the only place I have found this caution.This begins my confusion,---bullet too large for bore? This is the only reason I can see.Anyone else want to chime in?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a FCIII in 22 cal. and love it and have found Charlie to be great to deal with. After reading your post, I read on the freechex website where it's stated, "Bullets need reduced shank diameter to allow gas checks to be fitted. Putting a gas check on a plain base bullet is unsafe and not recommended."

Either he means, putting a GC (not necessarily suited for a plain base boolit) on a plain base boolit is unsafe and not recommended...or I disagree with him.

I have had good luck with plain base GC's made from Patmarlins dies, for 41 and 44...as have others...but some folks have posted that they have had poor results (accuracywise)...I doubt there is a safety issue, but maybe someone else will chime in with that.
Jon

VHoward
04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
The only problem I have had with plain base gas checks were that they would come off right after the bullet exits the barrel of my gun. They did not improve the accuracy of my loads nor did they make the accuracy worse. I don't have problems with leading either way so I quit using them.

dragon813gt
04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
He is stating to only use the gas checks his tool creates on gas check design bullets. They won't fit on plain base bullets for obvious reasons.

fcvan
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
VHoward, how were you seating your plain based checks?

Love Life
04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I had the same problem as Vhoward. I sold my PB checkmaker...

VHoward
04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
VHoward, how were you seating your plain based checks?
I was using a Lyman 4500 to seat them.

crappie-hunter
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I believe if things don't soon improve I will have a PB gas check maker in 44 cal for sale cheap.

bstone5
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Gas checks can be added to plain base bullets if the check maker produces the correct cup size.

An inverted Lee Push Thru sizer is used to install the gas checks with the pushing being done by the 1/2 ton hand press from Harbor Freight.

The same hand press is used to make the gas checks.

The included picture is of powder coated bullets with plain base gas checks installed. The gas check makers were made using the data from Ed Smith.

The data is available in the Gas Check Section.

These gas checks stay on the bullets very well, bullets were recovered from a stack of wet magazines taped together.

The bullets were shot into the wet paper and the bullets recovered still had the gas checks attached.

The gas checks were all made from beverage cans with a thickness of .004 inch.

The 380-9 mm-38 caliber all use the same gas check.

The same deep cup gas check was used on the 44 and 45 bullets.

The gas check for larger diameter bullets requires a deep cup for the gas check to stay on the bullet.

.30/30 Guy
04-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I have shot a lot of 35PB checks. I capture all of my boolits with a rubber mulch box. The rubber mulch will strip the check off at least 99% of my boolits. I have not found an attached check for any of my 30 caliber boolits.
For the 35PB checks I find enough checks in the rubber mulch to believe that all of my .357 magnum boolits reach the target with the checks attached. I have been using 0.008" lith plate for 35PB checks and seating them base first through a Star or Meepos sizer.