PDA

View Full Version : Castboolits is the best!!

M&PManiac
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
All

I have not been a member here very long, but wanted all to know how much I appreciate the wisdom, entertainment and teamwork at this site!! Best deal in town for sure.

Shiloh
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Thousands of years of collective experience here. I cast better boolits and shooth them better because of theis sight.

Shiloh

quilbilly
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Welcome to our group. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Chilmonty
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Got to agree M&P!!

I am very close to casting my first boolits, just need a couple more minor things.

If I had not found this site, I would not even be considering casting boolits!

awaveritt
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
This is my Favorite forum. These guys are great.

stiffdogg06
04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Been into reloading for a few months. Just recently been looking at casting videos, etc. Want to get as much info as I can before I start buying equipment. I have sent out a few requests for lead materials so I can get that on-hand just in case I do start casting.

Buck-N-Rut
04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Yeah. The guys on here have me checking out every gas station I see to gather wheel weights. It's really kind of an addiction now.

Randy C
04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I enjoy the diversity here. It's nice to be around people that take pride in helping others.

Shiloh
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Mine too and I agree. A lot of VERY knowledgable folks here.

captaint
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I learned all the basics and numerous details right here, also. It's funny, if you read enough here, your questions will often be answered before you need ask them. But DO ask away. Everybody here is super helpful and the level of experience is truly vast... enjoy Mike

DeanWinchester
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I've learned a lot right here! As much as what to do; I've also learned what I was doing wrong. That's MORE important.

Thanks to all the old farts who have forgotten more than I'll ever know. You are appreciated. I owe y'all a beer!

justing
04-10-2013, 10:11 AM
i agree, the best kind of people reside here.

Kull
04-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Yep. Everyone is very helpful and mature. People around here seem to actually think and contemplate what they say before they say it unlike a lot of internet forums. Lead bullet casters/shooters also share a lot of the same likes and dislikes. Just a great place.

cbrick
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Been into reloading for a few months. Just recently been looking at casting videos, etc. Want to get as much info as I can before I start buying equipment. I have sent out a few requests for lead materials so I can get that on-hand just in case I do start casting.

Welcome to CastBoolits stiffdog,

Just in case you do start casting (if you reload you will) here is the first piece of equipment that is a must and it's free. Free is so hard to beat huh? :mrgreen:

From Ingot To Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Download the pdf and enjoy. This book is good solid advice from cover to cover and covers everything from equipment to alloys and everything in between.

Rick

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Welcome!

Bill

stiffdogg06
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I currently reload. Been reloading .40 and .223 right now. I must not be looking hard enough or know enough people... The only people that have been able to help me get some lead are people I know who work at Discount Tire or Honda Dealership. I went to mom&pop tire shops and they said they either give them to a recycler or reuse them.

44man
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I enjoy the diversity here. It's nice to be around people that take pride in helping others.
This is where it is at! The very most important EVER.
The combined knowledge and the guys that are just plain friends to help and not be more important is just too important.
You are the most important person and when something does not go right the pain is from the rest of us.
Your first post, your first question will never be ignored. Yet you will have a tough time because none of us do the same things.

runfiverun
04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I currently reload. Been reloading .40 and .223 right now. I must not be looking hard enough or know enough people... The only people that have been able to help me get some lead are people I know who work at Discount Tire or Honda Dealership. I went to mom&pop tire shops and they said they either give them to a recycler or reuse them.

a lot of them send them to the recycler.
you just need to figure out what the recycler pays and then bump the price a bit.
or go to the recycler and get them there.

stiffdogg06
04-11-2013, 08:10 PM
a lot of them send them to the recycler.
you just need to figure out what the recycler pays and then bump the price a bit.
or go to the recycler and get them there.

Thanks, I am getting numbers together of local scrap yards. I am seeing it's ~$0.93/lb of lead. Sound about right?

Do any of you guys just buy lead ingots from online suppliers?

tg32-20
04-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I live in California and lead disappeared form the tire shops years ago. Yes, maybe you find a little now and then, but not like it was 5 years or more ago when it was everywhere for a decent price or free.

I have resorted to buying from this forum or on Ebay. Even Ebay has deals no and then if you are patient and do not over spend. Right now, if I can get it for $1.00-$1.25/ lb, it is a good deal.
I shoot a lot in my backyard and get to recycle most everything I shoot from my berm. Yes, I live way out in the country.

Tom

jonp
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
That's no lie. I've learned more in a couple of monthes on this sight than I did in years previously. Just about every question i've thought of has a post somewhere on it.

runfiverun
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
93 cents is just about what the spot price for lead is lately.
your recycler would get 3/4 that sending it into a foundry.
you might want to negotiate a big buy from him [2,000 lbs or so] you might get him down to @ .60 cents or so.

chirodr1
04-23-2013, 11:46 PM
I've been lurking for a couple of months learning all I can. My first smelting and casting sessions went very well because all that I had learned on this forum. The people are very knowledgeable and helpful. The best forum I have run into.

gunoil
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
yep, incredible university here!