PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 9 mm bullet

johnh57
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Looking for advice on a mold. Casting for 2 different guns, mine is a sig 226 that slugs at .356, my friend has a glock 34 that we haven't slugged yet. He shoots a little production pistol - just local events for fun. I'm undecided if I'm going to do more than shoot leagues.

He is interested in a 147 gr as that seems to be the direction a lot of practical shooters are going. OTOH I've read a fair amount about brass selection issues with the 147's and I don't really want to be tied to a particular brand of brass.

I've been thinking about the NOE 358 135 gr RN 4 or 5 cavity as a reasonable compromise betwen the traditional 124 TC and the 147's.

Of course the NOE 358-135's are out of stock - I have not called to ask about when they might be available.

Am I headed down the right path here - or are there other options I should look at? The accurate molds look great - but a little rich for my blood.

john

Boolseye
04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
well–I have that mold in the RG version (HP), and it's definitely a shooter in my p226.
Don't know about Glocks–some folks are nervous to shoot cast in them with the polygonal barrel.
I'd say go for it when they get back in stock–it's close enough to your desired weight–they actually end up weighing a little more than the stated weight.

grubbylabs
04-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I have an NOE mold and it is a nice mold for sure but you could also look at Accurate molds. Tom can cut different profiles and different bullets altogether in the same mold block. If you and your buddy are going to go in half on the mold and your barrel slugs out different or you both want different weights or profiles.

johnh57
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Hope he likes the 134's. Just checked NOE and they had 3 in stock. Now 2.

In fact I already got the ship notification from NOE. I am amazed.

grubbylabs
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I ordered one on a Saturday and had it Monday. Very nice indeed. I will likely get the 45 HP that he has. Just have to let the budget catch up again.

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 06:15 PM
In my experience, the Lee 356 120 TC sized to .357 or .358 works extremely well.

Read the sticky on setting for a new 9mm, might help.

Bill

Boolseye
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Hope he likes the 134's. Just checked NOE and they had 3 in stock. Now 2.
Congrats! You won't be disappointed. Just a hint...pay attention to the set screws that keep the sprue stop bolt and sprue plate hinge bolts firm. You can put a little piece of thick copper wire as a buffer between the set screw and bolt, which will prevent you flattening threads if you ever try to move one of those bolts while the set screw is tight (don't ask how I know).
It's a very classy touch but easy to forget it's there.

Also, follow his break-in procedures.
-jp

johnh57
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks - the copper wire cushion is a good idea.

Anxious to mess with this mold. I will try to have enough patience to wait for the handles to show up!

Will do on the break in.