PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro4-20 or Laddle ?

hylander
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Never casted before.
Just getting started gathering up my goods to start casting.
Wil be starting with a LEE C312-185-1R
Should I start off with the LEE Pro 4-20 bottom pour of start off Laddling ?

I know both have their +- but what seems best for a 51 year old beginner

shadowcaster
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
The debate on whether to bottom pour or ladle is a heated one. I bottom pour way more than I ladle. Once technique is developed, both serve their purpose well. You will have to decide on what your needs are. Bottom pour is faster, like when using a 6 cavity mold. I say buy the Lee pro 4-20 pound bottom pour and a ladle. You can bottom pour as needed and you can also ladle from the top if you wish.

Shad

H.Callahan
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I say buy the Lee pro 4-20 pound bottom pour and a ladle. You can bottom pour as needed and you can also ladle from the top if you wish.
Definitely +1 on this. Ladles are cheap and I would recommend having one, regardless. Chances are you will end up using the bottom pour for some things and ladle for others.

Mk42gunner
04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Definitely +1 on this. Ladles are cheap and I would recommend having one, regardless. Chances are you will end up using the bottom pour for some things and ladle for others.

+2. I bet I have ladled just as much lead with my RCBS ladle as I have bottom poured from my 4-20. The 4-20 is easy to ladle from, the Lee 10 pound pots are not so easy.

The 312-185 can be easily cast with either method.

Robert

hylander
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys
Now to find a Lee 4-20
Anyone have one in stock ?

Vorga
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I started with the Lee Precision PRECISION MELTER and Lyman Lead Dipper . I find the pot to small .Once everything was heated up and flowing great I would have to stop and add more lead then wait for it all to heat up again. I just bought a Lee Precision 20 Pound Pro 4 off amazon (seller:ShootingAndArcherySupplies)a few weeks ago and really like it . Spent a little more than I wanted . Now I have the option of bottom pour or using my ladle . Another thing I am finding helpful is Tel-Tru LT225R 200/1000 degrees F Thermometer.
I also have the Lee ladle and hate it for pouring. It does not hold enough lead and cools down to fast. The Lyman Lead Dipper is a dream to work with compared to the Lee

I am not trying to sell something for ShootingAndArcherySupplies they were the only ones that had it in stock at the time .

hylander
04-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the input
I ordered the Lee 4-20 from Natcheze.
Found an old small ladle at a garage sale today

Vinne
04-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the input
I ordered the Lee 4-20 from Natcheze.
Found an old small ladle at a garage sale today

Good for you!! Those and estate sales are great.

Cane_man
04-14-2013, 09:49 PM
do both for sure... while i was waiting for my 4-20 on backorder i couldn't help but start casting... gave me a feel for ladle casting and now i can do both...

km101
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Get both for sure! As you will see, casting is like reloading! Soon you will want a mold for each caliber you reload and then different bullet weights for the calibers. Just like you want to have dies for each caliber that you shoot, you will want molds also.

There will come a time when you might want more production than you can manage with a ladle and you will be prepared.

hylander
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Just received my new LEE 4-20
Having never casted before I thought this would be twice the size it is.
This thing Ain't even big enough to make a bowl of cereal :shock:
I guess Lead is heavier than I thought, sure doesn't look like it will hold 20lb. of lead which would be
over 750 185gr. Boolits.

shadowcaster
04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
It'll hold right close to 20 pounds full. I fill mine to about 1/2 inch from the top. Just to give you an idea for comparison.. 1 gallon of molten lead weighs 95 pounds!

Shad

Gliden07
04-18-2013, 06:31 PM
The debate on whether to bottom pour or ladle is a heated one. I bottom pour way more than I ladle. Once technique is developed, both serve their purpose well. You will have to decide on what your needs are. Bottom pour is faster, like when using a 6 cavity mold. I say buy the Lee pro 4-20 pound bottom pour and a ladle. You can bottom pour as needed and you can also ladle from the top if you wish.

Shad

What he said!! I just got a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot. I use to ladle pour it worked but I like the bottom pour better. It's quicker, it's cleaner and once I had developed a system I was producing better looking Boolits than anything I had ladled. And I think the biggest advantage was not having to constantly scrap the Dross off the top of the pot. Don't get me wrong I got good Boolits ladling too but the bottom poured ones looked better! Like Shad said if you get the Lee pot you can do either, and scince you hav'nt poured before you will be able to choose what you like the best!

Mk42gunner
04-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Just received my new LEE 4-20
Having never casted before I thought this would be twice the size it is.
This thing Ain't even big enough to make a bowl of cereal :shock:
I guess Lead is heavier than I thought, sure doesn't look like it will hold 20lb. of lead which would be
over 750 185gr. Boolits.

I never weighed the lead that I put in my 4-20, but most people say they only hold 17 pounds. As long as you preheat the ingots to drive off any residual moisture, you can add ingots and cast until you are tired (or out of lead).

That is one reason I like BruceB's 10.5" long angle iron ingot molds, they fit across the top of the pot to preheat.

Robert