PDA

View Full Version : Have a chance to get a 218 Bee

stocker1042
04-09-2013, 06:57 AM
An old timer around here has a .218 bee for sale...lever gun. From what I've read online, these were never hugely popular, but is there any market out there for these? I can't seem to find many for sale. He has some ammo to go with it, a set of RCBS dies, and some other misc stuff. I think it is a Winchester. Any idea on value? Good shape, most bluing still there, no rust, stock in good shape.

bigbear
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
If in good condition worth a fair bit because of rarity. Components are pretty hard to come by in my area ( nigh on to impossible) That said, I have a Browning replica, fun little rifle, main draw back is the sights. It's a varmint type calibre and the iron sights limit it's usefulness. Don't know how it handles cast loads I could never find a mold or commercial cast boolits for it.

My advice, buy it;)

And start looking for brass!

Wis. Tom
04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
The last Winchester 218 bee that I saw sell at an auction, went for $950. My father has one, and thought he would add a second one, but not at that price!

skeet1
04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
At one time I owned a model 43 Winchester in .218 Bee and it was very accurate. I can't remember what the load was I used but do remember that it was BLC-2 not what you would consider an optimum powder for such a small case. But it really shot well.

Ken

stocker1042
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
OK...sounds like for what he's asking I'll pick it up. Thanks!

marlin39a
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I bought the Marlin 1894CL years back. I love it. Great on Rabbits and Jacks on a hot Arizona evening. Hodgdon "Lil" Gun sends them to target quick. I see my rifle is going for a good price these days.

stocker1042
04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
From what I have read about these online, they must not have been popular, if at all, too long. Very few for sale on gun broker...and little for sale locally around here either.

451whitworth
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I would jump on it. Love the Bee and if it's a 92 it's worth big money. Model 65's fetch good money also.

stocker1042
04-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Well..I picked it up. It's a BSA Martini .218 conversion! Kind of an oddball gun. Any opinions out there on this gun? From what I read, they were common in the 60's and 70's. Gun looks to be in great shape except the level was repaired at one point, and it need a scope as the mounts are there and no sights.

shdwlkr
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Brass for the .218 Bee if I remember right is the same as 25-20 or 32-20 just necked down more. So if you have reloading dies for the bee then they take those other two cases and have cases to use in the bee.

Wis. Tom
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advise, shdwlkr, as I do reload for my 218 bee, and brass is scarce. The 43 I have is a tack driver, at 50 yards, with the old Weaver K4 scope.

shdwlkr
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
I used to have a lot of old calibers and you learn what is made today that can be used for what is not.
try finding .256 win mag brass at a fair price. just get the forming dies and take 357 mag brass and make your 256 win mag brass

have .375 winchester you can use the short 38-55 brass or blow out the 30-30 brass which will be a little short but not an issue

have a 38 super and can only find 38 acp brass will work with a small charge of powder just to be on the safe side. Would not go the other way to easy to put the wrong cartridge in the wrong firearm. I never had a 38acp but did at one time have a 38 super so I was safe no chance to load the wrong cartridge in the wrong firearm.

have 38 spl and can only find 357 mag cut it down to 38spl length and your are good to go
same thing with 44 spl and 44 mag just cut it down to 44 spl length or if you have a 44 russian just cut the 44spl or 44 mag case to length

only have 30-06 brass but have a 270 reform and trim to 270 length you can take 270 and make 30-06 brass also but I can't remember if there is any trimming needed.

Some day I might be able to get some firearms again and have some fun. Divorce sucks and takes away sometimes the things we enjoy most.

gnoahhh
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Well..I picked it up. It's a BSA Martini .218 conversion! Kind of an oddball gun. Any opinions out there on this gun? From what I read, they were common in the 60's and 70's. Gun looks to be in great shape except the level was repaired at one point, and it need a scope as the mounts are there and no sights.

Nice find! That little rascal should give you lots of pleasure. Although the stock isn't my cup of tea, it looks well made- and nothing there a rasp and some sandpaper won't fix.

It appears to have target scope blocks. There will be the big stumbling block. Unertl/Fecker/Litschert/ etc. scopes fetch big prices these days, probably more than you paid for the gun. Perhaps switch it out to a regular 'hunting' type scope?

Carolina Cast Bullets
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
25-20 brass can be necked down, as the 25-20 is the parent case for the Bee. However, finding 25-20 or 218 Bee brass is near impossible. It just aint around like it was. 32-20 can be used but I'd neck ream it first. The 25-20/32-20 might be on the short side but should not be an issue.

Lyman 225415, a 55 grain RNFLgc bullet, gas checked and sized .224 will work nicely as well. The jackrabbit population in Wharton County found that out the hard way. Couple of yotes met the Bee as well with good results, not for the yote though.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Wayne Smith
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Somewhere on my computer I have information for adapting those blocks to a modern scope. If you are interested PM me and we might have to hire a kid to get you the information!

country gent
04-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I have a martini cadet converted to /218 bee I started in the 902 and just got around to finishing last fall. I put a 2-7weaver in high mounts ( gives room for my fat thumb to load with out grinding down the side of the reciever). I put a 20" shilen light sporter barrel with 1 - 14 twist on it/ The stock used has a pistol grip and very high comb. A very good friend fit the stock and forend for me I got them from Gun Stocks inc in conneticutt I beleive. What a sweet little walking rifle and mild carteidge combination this is, the only sting is at the target. Wood chucks at 150 yds or closer seldom take another step. 40 grn V Max over Lil Gun cut one ragged hole at 50 yds off the bench. A shirt pocket of those little shells sitting on a ditch bank makes for an enjoyable afternoon.

Reg
04-19-2013, 10:26 AM
The Bee in a Martini has always been a great combination. If it has a good barrel it should shoot as good as you can hold.
Your rifle appears to be set up for a Target scope and might have to be re-drilled and tapped for a more modern, 1" tube scope. There are several combinations using Weaver bases and rings, if you can find a copy, you might refer to books by Frank deHass showing some of these combinations. The rifle has been modified anyway so if you do not like the stocks, go ahead and take a rasp and sand paper to them.
Slug your bore. Many of these early ( 1950's) conversions were made using .222 to .223 bore barrels. Match up your bullets.
Cases can be easily formed from 25-20 Winchester ( not Single Shot ) cases. Lots of loading data out there and dies are easy to find.
Good find.

Reg
04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Just looked and the book you want to refer to is Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book by Frank deHass. In it he shows many combinations of scope and mounts that not only will fit the small Martini action but many other single shot actions as well that most likely will fit the small Martini as well. Most will require drilling and tapping on the barrel. There are some side mounts that will require drilling and tapping the side of the receiver but cannot recommend this as it forever will marr the action side. It is just too easy to do it right and keep all holes in the barrel where they belong.
He calls out , in particular, the Weaver #60 base and I assume with high rings and the Redfield Jr. base for the 760 Remington, there again I would stay to high rings to allow proper clearance to load and unload the action.
Scope mounting on this little action is not a problem. Many, many ways to go.

KCSO
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I load for 218 Bee and got cases from Starline and dies from Lee with no probems. The rifle I load for is a Marlin levergun and it holds into 1- 1-1/2" at a hundred yards with a 2.5 scope. The Winchesters will do about as good with a lttle tuning of the fore end. But in the 1930's this wasn't the case and a 2" or better varmit gun didn't cut the mustard. Here a Winchester 65 in good shoting condition will bring so much money you would't want to shoot it. The Marlin was NOS from when Cabel's bought out the Marlin back room during the takeover. They are a nice turck gun for varmits out to 250 yards or so and IMHO a classier gun than any AR or Mini 14.

L Ross
04-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh mercy, just be patient and get a good traditional externally adjustable scope. They are beautiful, functional, and wonderfully precise. I treasure my Lymans, Unertls, and Feckers as much as the classic rifles they are mounted on.

Duke

stocker1042
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the insight! Luckily, he gave me a brand new set of RCBS dies, about 50 live rounds, and about 100 rounds of brass with it. I saw Cabelas got some in, so I just bought 100 rounds also. Everything you guys said about the scope mounts are correct. I also got a 308 in with the deal that has the exact same mounts, and I am going back for a .22 that has the scope on it. He used the same scope for all three guns! I haven't jumped into it too much yet but it's such a strange little piece that altough I originally passed on it, I'm glad I went back and got it. I'll get to work on the scope and mounts in a few months.