PDA

View Full Version : Extra Filtering and Casting of Beeswax

detox
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I just purchased 3 lbs of butterscotch colored beeswax from randyrat. This is more beeswax than i will ever need for fluxing and boollit lube. Just for kicks i wanted to see if i could make the color lighter by filtering it in oven. Some people use a simple solar oven, but the standard oven will work if temps do not go above 180. I just set oven on warm while watching the oven thermometer. I built a small wood frame to staple my bug screen to then added one layer of paper towel to bottom and trimmed excess. I coated Pyrex glass dish with Pam spray then filled with water about 1/3 full. When wax is melted and filtered it will float to the top of water. Let it stay and cool in the oven over night. The first filtering created lots of brown wax on filter and wax did turn out a little lighter in color. I filtered a second time and there was way less brown color on paper towel. Wax is now a lighter butter scotch color.

Before pouring inguts i melted wax in double boiler setting the stove top temp slightly below medium being careful not to over heat the wax (staying under 190 degrees). I casted about half my wax for later use. Some of it was cast in small candy mould. These will be used for fluxing. The larger muffin size inguts will be stored for later use. I sprayed moulds with Pam before pouring so that wax would not stick.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?86774-Beeswax-for-sale

littlejack
04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
That's nice looking stuff. Almost looks good enough to eat.
Bring on the stool softener.

detox
04-08-2013, 09:37 PM
You can also strain your wax after being melted in double boiler, but you must preheat your filtering system in oven first. Pour your melted wax into filter then set back in oven so that all wax melts and can be filtered. The hot water also helps your wax to level out on top of water in pan before it cools.

Spawn-Inc
04-08-2013, 09:45 PM
lbs is more then you will ever need, really? i made a batch of ben's red and am thinking i should have made a double batch (i bought 6lbs of beeswax locally). just trying to get an idea on usage.

why bother filtering it btw?

detox
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't know? Just prettier wax. I also like experimenting.

Those bees had some nasty feets.