PDA

View Full Version : Alloy for New Casters

dverna
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
A while back I had a thread for new casters and suggested that alloy made from reclaim/scrap/unknown sources etc. may not be the best way to start.

Here is a link to Missouri Bullets. They will sell you good alloy at a reasonable price in small quantities. I am not affiliated with MB in any way and have never purchased from them as I buy in larger quantities

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=92&category=12&secondary=&keywords=

$2.07 delivered is not bad. Experienced casters do a lot better but they have already developed sources so it is easy for them to get cheaper alloy. New casters can find getting lead is a hit and miss adventure with more misses than hits. Then you need to smelt it and it is best NOT to use your casting pot to smelt - so another set of equipment and another process to learn.

shadowcaster
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
While opinions on the subject Will vary.. That is a good price for small quantity new alloy.

Shad

fredj338
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
I think going with a known alloy for a noob limits the variables & gets you into good bullets right away. It doesn't have to be Lyman #2, just a known alloy. Even 25-1 will give you a useful range for most caliber.