PDA

View Full Version : Add a sling to a new Winchester 1892

marklyftogt
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
I have an new Winchester 1892 short (Miroku) in 357.
I want to add a sling to it.
There are no swivels on the gun.

What are the best swivels to buy and what is a good sling?

Thanks.

warboar_21
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I used the Uncle Mikes sling stud and on then used the one that slides on the magazine tube. I put a bit of electrical tape around the tube so the metal wasn't scratched.

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
that's the way to do it.

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
+1 on the Uncle Mikes sling swivels. make sure you get the quick detach ones and not the solid ones. Also go with 1 1/4" ones as the wider a sling is the better the gun is to carry. (more surface area to spread the load on your shoulder out.)

As far as slings go, you'll need to research this and look at alot of different ones on line and in stores. You'll find pretty the same generic slings in most retail sptg goods stores. You really need to shop this on the internet and in better gun mags like "Rifle Magazine."

The reason for this is there is alot of really good slings out there that are not readily available at your local Sptg Goods store. Check Cabelas, they have quite a few.

My personal favorites are 1.5" Nylon web slings, however these are not appropriate on a Winchester 92. You need something Leather. Turners Saddlery makes the best M1907 style slings however once again they really don't go on a levergun, more appropriate on a Bolt gun.

Doug Turnbull sells a leather sling for Leverguns that does not require sling swivels, and It would be a good choice. Probably won't be cheap but it will look right and work well on your gun. I'd check it out.

Randy

marklyftogt
04-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys. Great info.