PDA

View Full Version : Star versus HOR, Dillon, RCBS etc.

roysha
04-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I am curious as to how the Star progressive press compares to the current crop of progressives. I have never even seen one, much less used one, so if any of you can give me a side by side comparison I sure would appreciate it.

I realize the Stars are ancient but they seem to last forever and sure do bring a price. Is the high regard legit, or is it just a wish for things of days gone by?

LUBEDUDE
04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
While I have 3 progressive Stars myself, I have not put any time on them yet. As soon as I got them, I was side tracked by Hollywood presses. When my Quests are finished I will turn my interests back to the Stars.
I have a friend who loads all of his competition rounds on nothing but Star presses. He can afford anything and he chooses Star. He also is very meticulous and one of those "accuracy types".

I have read many testimonials of shooters who believe Stars are the best progressive ever made. I believe that they believe that to be true. I think the only downfall of the Star is not being able to use standard dies. Yeah, yeah, you can drill out the tool head. But that just adds even more expense to an even more expensive press.

Speaking of expense, from what I have seen, once you get a Star; since they are no longer made, you tend to buy any every part you come across. That gets expensive, because the parts are OUTRAGEOUS!

Hope this helps and Good Luck

Kevin Rohrer
04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Cadillac vs. Buick. Stars are craftsmanship that will never be seen again.

I own a Phelps (Star clone) and plan on eventually getting a Star in .30 Carbine.

wv109323
04-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I own two Stars and a Dillon 550B.
The Dillon is adequate but suffers from several design flaws. The primer design has a stamped aluminum "flop gate" that is suppose to catch the primer and then place it in the used primer cup. When I load with mine I clean up spent primers from a 6 ft. radius. The primer activation is controlled by a rod that is small and bends. The press must be keep very clean to operate. I don't like the case activated powder measure. I had a 450 and much preferred the manually activated PM.
The change -over between calibers gets pretty involved. Longer than advertised. The parts for three caliber changes equal the price of another press if you buy a powder measure for each caliber. You have as much tied up in accesories as in the press. Customer service is excellent. Press has a lot of versatility. I feel that rifle brass ( sizing, deprime and trim to length) must be done off press before you can load it on the Dillon.
I would look hard at the Hornady L-N-L before I bought another Dillon.
The Star is limited to pistol calibers ( there was an aftermarket conversion for .223). They were common in .38 Spec./.357 and .45 ACP, Other calibers are rare. (.32ACP, .380 Auto, 9MM, .38 Super, .44 Mag. and .45 Colt) I am sure that there are several Star presses with 1-2 million rounds loaded. You very seldom need any parts but there are a few people that make some replacement parts. The Stars really shine if you are loading large quantities of the same spec. ammo. The Stars were popular with the Bullseye pistol shooters. It is very easy to load 500 rounds on a Star in a hour or so.

USMC87
04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes Sir the 550 has to be kept clean to run properly, I have to take the primer system apart alot and clean that because of all the sticking issues, The primers are all over the floor when you get done as you said. I have a friend that has a lnl ap and seems to be very good. Stars are cadilacs if you can find a decent one at a decent price.

starreloader
04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I have 3 Star Universals and a Phelps Universal.. 2 of the Stars set up to do 45 Auto in 200 SWC #68 and 185 SWC #130.. The other Star and the Phelps are set up to do 38 148 WC and 38 158 SWC.. I have had no issues or broken parts during the years I have used these presses.. My oldest Star was bought in 1978 and has produced 500K+ at least over the years and it still works great today... The machining and the fit of the different parts on a Star are a work of art.. I know of no progressive press on the market today that compares to the workmanship of the Star Presses...

Yes, I have a RL450, a RL550 and a XL650 and a Rockchucker, they are all fine presses.. I use them on a regular basis for all my other loadings.. None are as good as a STAR!!!

45-70bpcr
04-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I just blundered int a Star universal in .45 acp 2 weeks ago from a guy selling off the estate of another club member that passed. It was the firt one I ever saw. The thing is a work of art. I am anxious to get it fired up. I also have a dillon 550b and square deal. The Star like the 550b does not auto index unless you add an aftermarket set up. The Star primes on the bottom of the stroke where the Dillons prime at the top. Not sure yet if that is a plus or minus. Also the Star does not have a powder safety so will drop powder weather or not there is a case in place to catch it. Adding another toolHead and dies and powder and primer parts for a caliber change is spendy. But the hand fitting and craftsmanship on the Star is impressive. I want to find a Hulme case feeder for mine and maybe a case kicker. Not convinced I need the auto indexer but they are cool.

W.R.Buchanan
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know how many Stars were made? I think that would tell the tale pretty well. I know they were not mass produced. Stars were made by highly skilled machinsits and toolmakers. That level of skill and workmanship would cost so much to replicate today it would require at least a $3500 price tag. Would you buy a Star for $3500? or 6 D650's instead?

Dillons are mass produced, and IMO they are the best of the mass produced machines out there. You can tell that by how many are out there. It's not becaause of the pretty blue color! They are simple to operate and generate good quality ammo, and overall the feedback is very positive. Are they perfect? Nothing is. Are they very versitile? probably the most versitile loading machines ever made.

Alot of people compare Hornaday LNL's to Dillon 550/650s. Nothing wrong with LNL's, but I would bet there are ten times the Dillons out there as LNL's. There is a reason for this and it is not the pretty blue color

When comparing things you always have to compare the positives and negatives of each compared item to each other. I think the Dillon machines compare very favorably with anything out there including a Star.

Stars are from a different era. A time when craftsmanship was expected and rewarded. I would bet that a Star loading machine would make ammo for as long as you could stand to pull the handle as long as you could keep it running. Unfortunately since they are no longer made, parts will come from repro outfits or cannibalization. This will not affect the talented and /or resourceful individual that can make or find what he needs, but for the rest it will mean retooling to another machine that is current.

That said: IF a Star presented itself, I would take it in a second! Just too cool to let go by!

Randy

starreloader
04-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know how many Stars were made? I think that would tell the tale pretty well. I know they were not mass produced. Stars were made by highly skilled machinsits and toolmakers. That level of skill and workmanship would cost so much to replicate today it would require at least a $3500 price tag. Would you buy a Star for $3500? or 6 D650's instead?

Dillons are mass produced, and IMO they are the best of the mass produced machines out there. You can tell that by how many are out there. It's not becaause of the pretty blue color! They are simple to operate and generate good quality ammo, and overall the feedback is very positive. Are they perfect? Nothing is. Are they very versitile? probably the most versitile loading machines ever made.

Alot of people compare Hornaday LNL's to Dillon 550/650s. Nothing wrong with LNL's, but I would bet there are ten times the Dillons out there as LNL's. There is a reason for this and it is not the pretty blue color

When comparing things you always have to compare the positives and negatives of each compared item to each other. I think the Dillon machines compare very favorably with anything out there including a Star.

Stars are from a different era. A time when craftsmanship was expected and rewarded. I would bet that a Star loading machine would make ammo for as long as you could stand to pull the handle as long as you could keep it running. Unfortunately since they are no longer made, parts will come from repro outfits or cannibalization. This will not affect the talented and /or resourceful individual that can make or find what he needs, but for the rest it will mean retooling to another machine that is current.

That said: IF a Star presented itself, I would take it in a second! Just too cool to let go by!

Randy

Randy, I have to agree with you.. I believe there are far more Dillons out there than all the other currently produced progressive presses... And there has to be a good reason for that, and is sure isn't because of the color BLUE

As for STAR parts, there are 2 sources, the aftermarket tool and die makers or the cannibalization of carelessly used/broken or neglected STAR presses... I have picked up 3 beat up or poorly maintained/rusted STARS over the years (mostly estate auctions) and salvaged all the usuable parts...

Paul Smith