PDA

View Full Version : Mutilated wads...

Hogtamer
04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
I've just starte loading slugs and you guys have already been helpful. Now dor some diagnosis if you please. 12 ga lee 1 oz key drives; Old AA Winchester white wads over 38 grains old 540 (now HS-6 I found out here), 8 pt crimp. I first sat slugs in wads and they did not reach bottom of shot cup. Cut some cardboard to fit gap and loaded. Accuracy @ 50 yds not very good out of 22 in cyl. Bore. Wads retained one petal and torn down one side with severe compression mark where slug forced into base. Then used foam under slug, same load. Accuracy much better say 5" @ 50, all petals gone but base not nearly compressed by slug. Recoil medium heavy, and I can live with group. Any suggestions or diagnosis of present loads. Thx, Hogtamer

SuperBlazingSabots
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Hello HogTamer, I like that name, first of all that load of 38 gr HS-6 is HOT, cool it down for safety to 32 gr HS-6 and if you still want to pay a visit to your dentist then gradually come up 1 / 2 grain each time till . . . . . . .
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Leesluginwad.jpg
You are very right that you do need .125 nitro cards below the slug in wad to make them stick out like in the picture like the first 4 wads on left and now go ahead and fold crimp, its party time now at the range, do report back tho!

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Hogtamer
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Will 16 ga overshot cards stacked work as well under the slug?

SuperBlazingSabots
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Hello Hogtamer, the overshot wads are quite thin for that purpose but still better than nothing for sure!
I'd rather glue them together for strength, but that means more work for you.

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC

oso
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
A wad with a taller cushion section and shorter petals may be advisable. I use WAA12L or clone (gray wads) for 7/8 oz Lee Key. Consider WAA12SL or clone (pink wads or Green Duster) for the 1 oz Lee Key.
Seems to me that 16 ga cards seem too big for inserting into a 12 ga wad, 20 ga cards are my choice for fit in a 12 ga wad.

Hogtamer
04-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I will lighten the charge and get a better floor under the slugs...trying to use what I have on hand. Maybe the old red AA short wads sitting atop a Bpi gas seal. Will try again per your suggestions and report in a day or two.

35remington
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Understand how your loads differ from those recommended. In the data supplied with the slug, Lee recommends, with the AA case, 36 grains HS-6 and the WAA12F114 wad. This wad places the slug a little closer to the overpowder cup due to a shorter crush section. There's a little less room for the gasses to expand. In contrast, the WAA12 white 1 1/8 ounce wad gives the gasses a little more room to expand due to a longer crush section that allows the overpowder cup more room to go forward before it meets the resistance of the slug.

Your load, while stiff, probably.....that is, probably, isn't too far out of bounds, but to reduce pressures to a bit less than that obtained with the WAA12F114 wad drop to 36 grains. As is you are probably in the 1500 fps range.

If you want real pain, try the 49.0 grain Blue Dot load as recommended by Lee using the correct components and shell. Will definitely get your attention. If pain is not desired, try around 16 to 17 grains Red Dot, 700X, Clays or Promo and the WAA12SL pink wad. About 1150 to 1200 fps, usually much less petal loss, and much less pain. This makes a decent slug practice load.

Hogtamer
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeeee-Ha! Here are 6 shots @50yds off the hood of my Chevy bench rest. Listened to your good advice and loaded 32 grn HS-6. Used Bpi universal base wad, an old AA short red wad, homemade hard plastic base in shot cup, a piece of packing foam and overshot card. Put "punkin on the post" and let my old 870 rip. The barrel was sawed off with a hacksaw years ago for "pottidge" hunting to 22 ". When I started this project my goal was to hit this 8" x 8" paper @ 50 yds. The recoil was not bad but a "magnum" load. Don't have equipment to test velocity or pressure but know from experience there are some pigs that are gonna hate this load! Now I just gotta get some factory components that match and speed the process up. Shot one from 100 yds, elevation perfect but 18"wide right. Work on that later as it could have been me easily. The petals gone off wad but symmetrical. Thanks for your help. I,ve loaded a million shot shells but this is my first time with boolits! I'm a believer now! Buckshot the next project.66884

Hogtamer
04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah, 8 pt crimp

SuperBlazingSabots
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm very happy for you HogTamer, with you smiling we all win, when is the party?

Be sure to post more pictures and teach us from your experiance.
" No man is a failure who is enjoying life." William Feather

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC