PDA

View Full Version : Passing time in the maternity ward

chickenstripe
04-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I have a new one on the way (within the next few hours).
Looking for ideas for a centerfire rifle, shotgun and 22 for the new child.

We did not learn the gender, so I can't help there.

popper
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
All. Congrats.

429421Cowboy
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
First off, congrats! I hope everything goes well for mother and baby!

For a centerfire rifle, the Savage Axis youth seems like a very affordable first rifle, i believe they come in .223 and .243, in a combo scope/rifle package. Not sure how much you wish to spend, but if you were hoping for a fairly reasonable gun to start with, that the child will eventually outgrow and move to something bigger, this could be it.
The 870 shotgun in the youth configuration would also be a good start, with the option to simply put a longer stock on it as the kid grows, and they are a solid gun.
Take care!

Bored1
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Picked up Rossi You combo sets for both my son and daughter last christmas and for the price they can't be beat, and both kids ABSOLUTELY love them. The sets I bought them came with the bag, sling and 22lr barrel along with a 410 shotgun barrel. The 22lr barrel even has "cool light sights" (fiber optic sights) so far both of them really like them. For larger rifles look at the Marlin XS7 in .243. Thats what my girlfriend has for deer and she loves it. Daughter (9) is gonna try it out this weekend, but shouldn't have any problems with it that I forsee its a great little gun!!!

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I remember mossburg doing a youth combo where you got two different sized stocks for the same action.
I think i'd be more looking at a 22 right now though, the basics have to come first.

Mk42gunner
04-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Congradulations.

Since I love to spend other peoples money, here goes.

Don't look at it like you have to get something right now; look at it like you can take your time and get some quality stuff for the kid.

For the .22, get either a classic single shot like a Remington Rolling Block, either a No 2 or No 4 and get it relined to .22LR, or an older bolt action such as a Winchester 69/75/52 or a Remington 37/540 or one of the Kimbers.

A good 870 Wingmaster will work, but a decent 20 guage double is a lot classier.

For the centerfire, I lean towards a classy singleshot or nice bolt gun. It kind of depends on what you or the child are interested in; a .223 for groundhogs is not really suitable for deer/ elk/ black bear.

You have a few years to get this right, but don't just buy any old beater to hand over with no spiffing it up.

Robert

7br
04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I purchased thompson/center contenders for the kids. .22 carbine barrels all around. If one of them decides they want to bird hunt, there is the M1100 lt20 in safe. (Currently decked out with a youth stock)

2HighSpeed
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Can't give any advice on the gun but I am dying to know if it was a he or a she?? And congrats, I hope your new little one gives you as much love and joy as my 4 littles have given me!

90yotaman
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Marlin 308, mossberg 500, and pretty much any 22 lr or pistol. Congrats by the way.

country gent
04-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Congradgulation to the new family. Hoping and Praying all are healthy. !0 fingers 10 toes everything working. What a blessing this is.
There are so many ways this "project" can be handled and taken care of. I have purchased one of the old Stevens Favorite / crackshots 22 rifles for my 1 st Grandson's rifle. When he gets older we will fit it up with a 17A globe front and a Tang sight to give it the look of a sharps or shutzen rifle if he has the intrest. Its small and light enough for the little people to handle. Centerfire rifle a ruger no1 or a Shiloh low wall in a lighter caliber. in 22 hornet or 218bee maybe, depending on where you are. Shotgun a 28 ga 870 Lighter recoil than a 20 but still a usable shot charge. you forgot the pistol and fishing pole though. And a good dog, every dog needs a child and every child needs a dog. The little one will never get properly muddy dirty with out a good dog to follow LOL. Above all else dont force things on the little one go with thier intrests, they will change day to day and hour to hour. Work with them encourage them to grow think and reason.

HATCH
04-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Looking for ideas for a centerfire rifle, shotgun and 22 for the new child.

Will not matter. By the time the child is old enough to shoot safely there will be no ammo or will be so costly that no one can afford it.

Harter66
04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Congrats ! Did we get a lad or a lass.

Cant go wrong w/an all use 308 and a restock when they out grow it.
The Cricket 22 seem to be sound and inexpensive to start.
I will 2nd the Mossy youth shotgun w/the 2nd stock , they used to come w/2 bbls like 22-24 and a 26-30.

stubshaft
04-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can...Does the gender really matter? My nieces and nephews will shoot head to head using the same guns.

Congrats!

chickenstripe
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all of the well wishes!

It's a girl! Just to show how common it is for the parents to already know the gender.... They didn't tell us the gender immediately, not until we asked!

I agree with all suggestions, and I'll focus on the 22 first!