PDA

View Full Version : Cast loads for 458 x 2 American?

Trappererick
04-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I am seriously considering picking up a Remington 600 that has been rechambered and barreled to 458x2. I would like to shoot some cast bullets of between 375-450gr at around 1700-1900 fps for whitetails and black bear. Unfortunately I know nothing about this round other than it ought to be a nice little deer thumper. Anyone out there have any loads or experience with this round?

BABore
04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Very close to the 450 Marlin case (2.090"). You could likely use the 450 Marlin starting data and work up. The Marlin has a slightly greater case capacity, but only runs 43.5 kpsi. Should have no problem reaching your velocity goals and beyond.

Nobade
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
That ought to rock you pretty good! Once you have had enough of it, you can use pretty much any 45-70 data as well. Nice choice for a hunting rifle - it'll do anything you might need one to do!

-Nobade

wlc
04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I have a friend with one and he uses 450 marlin data. Start low and work up. It is a thumper. I love shooting it and have really thought about building a Savage in it or getting an Encore barrel chambered for it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Trappererick,

Some good info in the posts above.

However, I am not sure about the "working up" part of that info.

I say this just because of the better then great results with a 45/70, and a 465gr WFN cast bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1650fps.

I have seen these "great" results on critters up and including a couple of elk and frankly would put this up against anything I might ever have the possibility of facing, including big bears.

Just make sure you get a bullet profile with the WFN, and you will simply NOT need anything that expands as these non-expanding bullets kill way beyond the expectations of those who are long time jacketed and expanding bullet hunters.

When Bruce, BABore, was still making his great molds, I went with one of his 465gr - 4 cavity molds and have never regreted that choice.

Just make sure your bullet fits your bore, use a good lube and you will be very well prepaired for any deer or bear you are likely to face.

Just as a side light, and remember I am speaking of non-expanding WFN bullets here, my first cast bullet critter was taken with a 355gr WFN with a muzzle velocity of just over 2300fps.

Talk about over kill!!!!!!! In Spades! I had no idea that a non-expanding could cause that big of a wound channel. Waaaaaay over the top and much too big.

The 465gr WFN at 1650fps on the other hand, creates a good and deadly and loooong wound channel without the over kill distruction of the lighter and faster bullet.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot