PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale pewter

fatelk
04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I picked up a few pieces of pewter at a garage sale last summer. I'm pretty sure it's all good, but thought I'd ask the experts here to make sure. Also thought I'd see if anyone thought any of these pieces might be worth anything more than just melting for the tin.

I know pewter has been covered many times, so I apologize if this thread is redundant. Thanks in advance.6676466765667666676766768

imashooter2
04-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Nice find! They all look like genuine pewter to me. The angel is a classic Teutonic mark.

As much as people want it to, modern pewter does not sell for more than scrap tin prices. Melt it with a clear conscience.

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 01:10 PM
the bm around the duck is for british metal which is tin.
looks like you have good stuff there.
and more of it than I have found in all the time I have been looking.

fatelk
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys! That definitely makes me feel better. I actually have a lot more tin (solder and pewter) than I'm likely to ever need, but I can't pass up a good deal.

The other pewter I have I got from an old-timer at a gun show, and it was already in ingots he stamped with a "P". I really don't know for sure what it is, but assume it's pewter like he said. Back when my wife and I would stop at garage sales regularly, I would pick up full and partial rolls of solder, and have a bunch of them too.

hickfu
04-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Good finds, I have around 40 or so lbs of pewter laying around waiting to go in an alloy.... and I picked up 2.5lbs today while the wife was in the grocery store I went into the Goodwill next door.

Doc

303Guy
04-11-2013, 02:30 AM
I have about 16kg (35lbs) of pewter I got from the scrap metal shop. I can get as much as I want, let alone what I actually need. I have to pay real money for though. One thing I've discovered - remember that I've only just discovered what pewter is - is that pewter makes some real fancy stuff. Some of the tea pots (got a square one) are very decorative and plates and things are real solid and heavy. My lady has some heavy pewter things too. She's lucky - I don't need them!

What I plan to do with a little of it to dissolve as much copper as it will absorb then use that to make a tin-copper lead alloy for testing and see what happens.

338RemUltraMag
04-11-2013, 02:40 AM
I melted plates down just like those and they netted me a fair share of tin, enough I sold it for good money anyway. If I remember each plate was approx 2 LB...