PDA

View Full Version : My first lead melt tomorrow any tips?

Glock Junkie
04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Im melting my first COWW into ingots tomorrow. The pot in the pic is the pot I will be using. Anything I need to do to it before use? Lid on or off work best? Thanx for any tips!!!

RobS
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Keep the melt at 650-700 if you can in case you miss some of those zinc ones. Also make sure to have proper gloves, shoes, eye protection, etc. I would put the lid on at first to help conserve on fuel as you first start to heat up the WW's. Also flux often to take out the junk/impurities. I'm sure I missed something but that's the basics.

zuke
04-08-2013, 06:40 AM
KEEP WATER AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure the lead's dry before topping off the pot.

detox
04-08-2013, 07:00 AM
I have that exact same pot in picture. I can pour directly from pot when level starts getting lower and lighter. Grip the tab using vise-grip pliars to tilt

SeabeeMan
04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I load it to the top and ladle out of it until it is light enough to lift, just as detox said. I let it solidify fully before refilling the pot so that as it heats up and eater will boil off before it has a chance to hit molten lead once. I had a spruce pick up a drop of after not to long ago and it scared the **** out of me. I can't imagine more than a drop going into a huge open pot.

Wal'
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Just finished a load of pure & range lead today & was using a new casting area which was a little higher than my usual bench & found myself at an uncomfortable working height.
My only suggestion after my effort today, would be to make sure you have your pot & ingot molds at an easy useable height..........had a lot of spillage working awkwardly while having to reach higher from the pot to ingot mold!!!!!!!
The weight using your ladle with enough capacity for your 4 ingots, & if you're over reaching. :cry: :mad: & after a couple of hundred ladle pours.........pain.

Other than that, it was a good day. :neutral: any day is a good day when adding to your hoard.

mold maker
04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Now that warm weather is here, it isn't so much a problem, but in cool temps, I find water condensing under the lid until the contents are above 212*. It doesn't cause a tinsel fairy visit, but the steam and sizzle unnerves me. I don't jump as good as I once did.

shadowcaster
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Make sure that your lid is vented. This will allow any moisture/steam to escape. If you are using the lid that came with the pot you may have to set it on with a little space at the edge, or place a small stick between the lid and pot.

Shad