PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885, 38/55

ktw
08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I picked up an Cimarron/Uberti 1885 Highwall in 38-55 recently. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I ordered some Starline brass. I will try fireforming out some 30-30 brass later in the week. I tapped out the buckhorn rear sight and screwed on a Marbles tang sight.

I did an impact chamber slug today. The chamber is ~2.130" long to the beginning of the throat. Bore is .374". Grooves are .382".

No questions yet. Just sharing the chamber dimension information in the event someone else was considering one of these.

-ktw

cabezaverde
08-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I have one in 30-40 Krag, and just ordered the sight from Midway.

Jon K
08-29-2007, 01:59 AM
ktw,

I have a Uberti 38-55 also. The gun is very pleasant to shoot.

Fireforming brass from 30-30 will come out to 2.010 after forming. A tad too short if you're going to shoot BP.

The sight will work to just over 200m, unless you get the new sight with 2 posts. I have a Shaver Premium Mid Range Tang sight on mine.

The twist is 1:18, so watch out you don't get too long of a boolit.

Have fun Shooting,

Jon

:castmine:

Buckshot
08-29-2007, 02:36 AM
................HEek, I thought the new Hi-Walls from Italy were only in a couple 45 cals and 40-65? I'd really like to have one in 38-55. I sure don't like to hear about a .382" groove though :-(

................Buckshot

ktw
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Uberti's catalog currently only lists highwalls in 45-70, 45-90 and 45-100.
Cimmaron Arms and Buffalo Arms have them in several other calibers.

Now on the hunt for a suitable mold.

I did get in on Boomer Mikey's 381-268-RF group buy. Worst case I should have one in 6 months or so.

Garandsrus sent me some samples from the earlier Buckshot group buy that measured in the 384-385 range. Those would work but I would really prefer a plain based version. If someone has one of these as surplus, let me know. Could always have the gas check shank reamed out.

I would be interested in pursuing a custom iron mold; plain based, in the range of 255-290 grains. I would be satisfied with something along the lines of the NEI #191 (380-236-BB), with the bevel base removed and stretched a little longer/heavier, or their #291D (380-290-Gunn). Something that will get me to an as-cast diameter of 382+ in a soft alloy.

Is there enough interest here for a custom cherry, NEI group buy if I were to honcho? I am willing to pursue it on my own of there is not.

-ktw

Boz330
08-29-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;217333]................HEek, I thought the new Hi-Walls from Italy were only in a couple 45 cals and 40-65? I'd really like to have one in 38-55. I sure don't like to hear about a .382" groove though :-(

I was thinking the same thing about the groove diameter. With BP the Lee 250 might bump up ok. I think that NEI offers some over size molds and maybe some of the older Lymans might get close to that. It should be pleasant to shoot and a lot of fun as well.
I sure do like that Highwall action. Old John Browning has to be one of the most prolific gun designers ever. Just think how many of his guns are still being manufactured after a hundred or more years.

Bob

Baron von Trollwhack
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
I've only seen a round barrel Uberti highwall in 38-55 for sale in these parts. Greatly overpriced it was. It was very nicely made though. I found one in 45 Colt at a great price and bought a 45-60 reamer and had the chamber recut and the barrel shortened to suit. It has tight bore and groove dimensions and is a great lead boolit shooter. It has a 1/18 twist and shoots the 250 grain Colt pistol bullet and the .451 Whitworth bullet very well. My shooting buddy here shoots one in 45-70 and it is a great shooter too. They have very good reputationd for accuracy. With respect to the 38-55 chamber dinensions noted above, I have a J.W. Van Patten rebore of a Model 94 NRA musket commemorative with a .382 groove and I use thinner necked WW brass and a softer lead .bullet sized to .379/.380 with good results at roughly 1350 fps to overcome the tight chamber/large groove problem. Be careful on molds. the newer RCBS 37-250-FN are not like the old ones in that they throw a larger diameter and have shallower round bottom GG. I have one of each kind and the new one is useless for me. A new Lyman FB is pretty big too. BvT

Jon K
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Buckshot,

Not so with my 38-55, chambe end slugs .3785-.379 groove diameter/.374 bore.
BTW, that's the one that I let Glen shoot at the range, and I sometimes think about selling it.

ktw,

If the GB 381-268 mold is BIG, I will sell mine when it gets here.

In my High Wall, using BA streched Win brass, the largest boolit it will chamber is .380, and the last bit has to be crunched in with the lever.

Jon
:castmine:

ktw
08-29-2007, 11:26 PM
In my High Wall, using BA streched Win brass, the largest boolit it will chamber is .380, and the last bit has to be crunched in with the lever.

I understand the implications of this...

I sent off a polite email to Cimarron inquiring about their listed .379" groove spec. :roll:

I fire formed 15 30-30 cases.

I only have a couple of boolits at hand that exceed .382 as cast, and nothing larger than a .379 sizer. However, I fiddled with it a bit tonight and it appears I may be able to seat a cartridge with a .382 boolit. I seated a .385 boolit in a sized case then used a taper crimp die to size it down a bit more (to .401-.402" outside the case at the top of the neck). These chamber fairly easily and when I kinetic pull the boolit they still measure .3825"-.3830" on the base band.

I will play with it some more when I secure a mold that throws .382+ and a larger sizing die. I am still confident I can make this work. If not with fixed ammunition, then there's always breach seating, paper patching and Green Mtn Barrels

-ktw

Jon K
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM
ktw,

Buckshot may be able to help you, he had made some sizing dies, I don't know if he has any left.

There was a GB .382 which dropped @.385. You may be able to get someone to sell one here.

Lee has said that the GB molds will be -.000 to +.003 so .380-.383, so I will probably sell mine because I want a .379-.380.

Jon

Bullshop
08-30-2007, 12:53 AM
We had a group of fellas shooting these rifles ask us to design a mold for them. They are not only generous with bore/groove dimensions but also use a rather slow twist. If I recall correctly it was 1/18" The bullet we designed in ww is about 265gn and .385" diameter. Using the program at Mt Molds we made the longest boolit that would be stable with the 1/18" twist. We had Buckshot make up a set of dies so we could offer it from .375" up to .385" in .001" increments. I tried them in my Roller with a 1/14" twist and .380" groove and shot a 100 yard screamer. The group looks like a 45 cal hole. This was shot bench rest with a 15x Unertal installed. I normally shoot it with the Parts Unkown long range sights but use the scope for testing loads. It would do for 40 rod shooting but for long range the wind will drive ya nuts with that light a boolit in 38 cal. Too bad them imports are limited to this weight boolit. A fun gun sure nuf but not for long range.
With a 1/12" twist and well shapped boolits in the 320 to 350gn range the 38/55 will shoot long range as good as any other caliber.
BIC/BS

Kraschenbirn
08-30-2007, 10:27 PM
The bore of my Uberti .38-55 High-Wall slugs at .379 and I've had good success with a 265 gr FP loaded "as-cast" from 30:1. Haven't installed a tang sight yet but, if I'm having a good day, get consistent 1 1/2-2 inch groups (100-yd) using the factory buckhorn rear.

Bill

John F.
09-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi, folks,
Great thread!! I have been interested in these Hi-Walls for some time, and
was wondering what the trigger pulls on them are like? Can they be adjusted
to (ideally) about 2 or so lbs? Even 3 lbs would be ok if it's crisp.

Any information on durability, etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks much,
John

ktw
09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
...was wondering what the trigger pulls on them are like?

I bought the standard straight grip, single trigger model. I have not measured it but am very satisfied with the stock trigger; not heavy, fairly crisp. No complaints on that aspect of the rifle.

-ktw

ktw
09-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Got some Starline brass in a while back This has thinner necks (.008) than the 30-30 cases I fire-formed to 38-55 (.0090-.0105, depending on headstamp).

The impact chamber slug measures .3985" outside diameter at the end of the chamber.

.3985 - (.008 x 2) = .3825", leaving room for a .382 boolit in the chamber with a little slack left over.

I have a single cavity Lee .379-250-RF mold that I was able to beagle out to .3810-.3815 with straight ACWW tonight. One of those seated as cast to the crimp groove in a Starline case gives me an outside neck measurement of .3960", chambers easily in the rifle and gives me a small amount of land engraving.

While I am not thrilled with the .382 groove diameter in the barrel of this rifle, it does not appear to have the corresponding small chamber problem others have spoken of. I think the rifle is going to be satisfactory as is, provided I can find a couple of molds that will throw a bullet as large as .382+.

-ktw

Jon K
09-21-2007, 12:58 AM
John F,

I'm not sure what you mean by adjusted, the single trigger does not have a mechanical adjustment like the double set trigger. The single trigger can easily be reworked, I got mine at a clean 1 lb 12 oz, probably could be lighter, but it's pleasant as is.

Jon

calaloo
10-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I want to add my two cents to this discussion. I have a Uberti 1885 38-55 with straight grip and double set triggers. The groove diameter measures .383 the bore is .374. Furthermore the chamber is tight. A fired case, at the mouth, measues .399. The chamber where the mouth of the case would be is.401. I am shooting a paper patched swaged bullet that is .375 bare at a current weight of 285 gn. Patched the bullet is .382 (I am shooting smokeless powder) Which is a tad small. The patched bullet will slip into the fired case with no resizing but belling the mouth very slightly helps to get it started. After the bullet is seated and a very slight taper crimp applied the case mouth is .398. I have pushed one of the patched bullets into the rifling just ahead of the chamber and fired a primer behind it. There is definately some leakage between the paper and the bottom of the grooves as shown by the discoloring made by the primer gasses. Accuracy is pretty decent with 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards using a Marbles tang rear and a Lyman no. 17 front. I have ordered a .376 die from Corbins that I hope will improve the accuracy by sealing better. I am determined to get this rifle to shoot. I realize that with a twist of 1-18 I am limited to range but 200 yards is all I'm interested in. By the way my bullets are swaged from pure lead wire and I have no leading.

Bill

Bullshop
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Calaloo
I have designed a boolit specially for the Uberty with .383" groove and 1/18" twist.
In ww alloy they weigh about 265gn. I have tried them in my roller and they were extreamly accurate. There is a bragging target hanging in my shop fired with these. The aimpoint was a 45 cal boolit hole and all shots are in it although widening it a bit. I must admit that this was done with a 15X Unertal scope mounted.
My rifle has a 1/14" twist which is somewhat faster than the design was intended for.
If I were to send you a sample of this boolit would you be willing to try them in your Uberti? I am interested to find out if they work for thier intended purpose. Its rather a risk to market something for a spasific purpose if unproven for that purpose.
If yes let me know what alloy or if pure lead, and what type of lube ,smokless or black powder. You could pm me or email me your shipping address. You should find that info for me in my profile. Thanks for your help!
BIC/BS

stillhunter
10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I can't understand why you would have to fireforn 30-30 brass as they will come up a bit short. Remington is making 38-55 and I have had no problems with it. I am shooting an H&R 1871 with a Leupold M8 4X on it. I have about 4 in groups and am trying different bullets.

Boz330
10-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Stillhunter, certain times a year it is hard to find 38-55 brass since they don't run a lot of it. With so many BPCR becoming popular that might change.

Bob

ktw
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Range report, or "I finally got around to taking this thing out and shooting it".

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/1885-RRpt_c.jpg

I am still collecting odds and ends toward fitting a cast bullet to this rifle. JohnH sent me a SC Lee 379-250-RF mold a while back. fa38 sent me a batch of SAECO 571 bullets (300 gr, plain based, tapered). Still working on a .382 expander plug with RedneckDan. Ordered a .382 H&I die from Buffalo arms. Got in on Boomer Mikey's 381-268-RF Group Buy. Ordered up some 383/265 bullets from Bullshop to tide me over till the group buy mold arrives.

The objective of the excercise today was to fireform 50 of the Starline 38-55 (long) cases to the chamber. The Saeco 571's are a great looking bullet that casts at .384 on the base band and I would like to shoot a few to see how well they stabilize in the 1:18 twist before ponying up for a mold. The largest expander plug I currently have is the .379 that comes with the RCBS 'Cowboy" die set. I am hoping to finger seat the Saeco 571 in a fireformed case rather than jam it down a case with an inside diameter of .378/.379.

I had about 75 of the Lee 379-250-RF already cast up. Some of these were .379/BHN 8 and some where from a run where I had beagled the mold to get a .381/BHN 12. I expanded the cases to .379, finger lubed the as-cast bullets with NRA 50-50 and loaded them up over 16.0 gr of 2400. Seated to a COL of 2.556" the .381/BHN 12 bullets lightly engraved in the rifling and the .379/BHN 8 bullets did not.

I put the rifle on the bags and did a quick boresite to get the tang peep set close. The first five rounds I used to finish the sight settings. It took a lot more elevation on the sight than I had anticipated. The rifle came with a short, dovetailed front post. I like the sight picture this gives for target work better than the front bead on my top-eject Winchester 94. I am glad it is not taller than it is given how far I had to crank up the tang peep (47 clicks up from bottom).

I shot a few groups. The .381/BHN12 bullets gave me 1.0" to 1.50" groups (@ 60yds) and the .379/BHN8 bullets ran more on the order of 1.5"-2.0" (@60 yds). This was better than I had anticipated given the under-sized bullets and a random load. I fired the last 10 over a chronograph and got a mean velocity of 1452 fps.

The Starline (long) cases fire-formed out to an inside diameter of .3830"-.3835" (caliper measurement) and shortened ~ 0.010" in the process; started in the range of 1.120" to 1.125", fire-formed to 2.110" to 2.115".

Now to load up some of those Saeco 571's. If everything goes well the rest of this week I may get a chance to fire them off this Friday...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/1885-RRpt.jpg

-ktw

Buckshot
11-01-2007, 01:17 AM
...............Good report. The mentioned disparity in groove diameter is keeping me from pre-loading my 100 new long Starline cases. I do have about 70 rounds (shorter cases) loaded up for my M93 Marlin with the Saeco 225gr tapered slug, sized .381" over 16.0 2400. Rates about 1.250" for 5 @ 50 yards from the levergun. I can use these to shoot if my "To be recieved" highwall slugs small enough.

.............Buckshot

ktw
11-06-2007, 08:48 PM
I had an opportunity to shoot the 300 grain Saeco 571 last friday. These are 1.109" long. Got round holes at 100 yards and 1300fps.

The problem I had with them was that when sized to .382 (left target) or used "as cast" (right target) they seated with zero neck tension in the fireformed Starline cases. Not so loose as to fall into the case but loose enough that they can easily be pushed too deep in the case. I crimped them into the 3rd drive band and this held them in place well enough to engrave the first two drive bands into the rifling.

In lieu of having the proper sized expander plug I think I'm going to try using some blown out 30-30 cases next time around. The thicker neck walls should give me a bit more neck tension. Will save the Starline cases for blackpowder use later.

I used the same 16.0 2400 load which gave me 1300 fps with the 300 grain bullet in the 30" barrel.

I plan to shoot another round of the Saeco 571 at 200 yards at some point in the future.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/saeco571.jpg

-ktw

Boz330
11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Thats not to bad to start. Did you weigh your bullets? That could account for the flyers. As you pointed out, even neck tension, instead of a roll crimp might help a lot as well. A taper crimp die if you can find one might be the ticket. Buffalo Arms might have one and I don't think they are to expensive.

Bob

ktw
11-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I agree, there are quite a few things I could do to reduce those fliers. I was also fighting a gusty wind that day. The objective of the range session was to see if I got round holes with a bullet that long in a 1:18 twist.

I still have a lot of things to try in order to tighten the groups.
- more neck tension
- tune the load, different powder/charge weight
- LP/LR primers
- filler in the case
- front site upgrade
- more practice with peep sites at 100-200 yards

-ktw

Bullshop
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
KTW
This is still just my opinion, but because you are getting round holes at 100 yards do not assume it will do the same at longer range until you try.
I was shooting the Lyman 330gn boolit(length unkown)and shooting very good at 100 yards. Good enough that I decided I would use it for a long range match. Pressed for time I put off developing sight settings until a couple days before a match. Everything was good until the boolits passed about 300 yards then they began to buzz. Yup you could hear them when they got unstable. At 500 yards I couldnt consistantly hit the target backer which was a pallet. Droping down in weight/length ever so slightly(length unknown) from the 330 Lyman to a 310 NEI and we were still shooting groups out to 800 yards. This was the load Jr. used to better my shooting at Amidon, I with a Browning 45/70 and proven match load.
I had the same problem with the Browning 45/70 while developing match loads for it. Shooting an NEI 570gn from the Browning 1/18" twist gave wonderful groups at 100 and 200 yards but somewhere between rifle and 500 yards the dreded whizzzzzz of the boolit headed off of its own will and not mine.
That is why I have been pretty insistant in that you will run into trouble at long range with some of the longer boolits available in 38 cal. with that 1/18" twist
When we designed our boolit for the 1/18" twist rifles we used a reasonably efficiant nose shape that gave the most weight for length but were still maxed out at a 265 gn boolit acording to the program at MT. Molds.
I have been very interested in hearing of your results, and will be pleased if you prove me wrong, but I am just stuborn enough that I cant shake the conclusions I have come to yet.
I shot with a fella at the Quiggly that was shooting a high wall 38/55 with a 1/12" twist and custom 370gn boolits. When we had to finish our 800 yard buffalo target a storm had blown in and the wind was litterally blowing the tents away. Him and I were the only ones that had hits and we were 4 for 8. I was shooting the Browning with a prefered match load and he that 38 and the way the wind was blowing I was surprised we hit it at all. BTW 1/12" is standard for the 375 H&H.
Blessings
BIC/BS

McLintock
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's a couple of loads you guys might consider trying in your Uberti 38-55 with those 1-18 twists. These were done in a Browning 1885 with a 1-15" twist, but with bullets that should be compatible with the slower twist. I've been shooting both these loads about 10 years now in Cowboy Action Long Range.
The first is with a plain base 245 gr, .380 diameter and with 18 gr of IMR4227. I got the load from a Ken Waters Pet Loads article on the 375 Winchester and it's proven to be a very consistent and dependable load in my Browning. This is a 10 shot group at 100 yards; the flyer is definitely me.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/6857234/235766445.jpg

The second is with a Lyman 375449 with gas check, .381 diameter and 31.0 gr of IMR3031. Got it from the same article and it's been good out to 500 yards, haven't shot it further than that.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/6857234/235766437.jpg
I've won the National Championship title for Long Range Single Shots in Cowboy Action twice with this load. You have to shoot very fast and accurately so you need a load that you feel will hit even if you're not dead center on the target and this ones done it for me. It's also been listed in the 2004 Gun Digest in an ariticle for old timer hunting loads as excellent for the 38-55. Excellent smokeless load for the 38-55.
When I first started shooting a 38-55 I tried all kinds of of powders, 5744, RL-7, 4198, 2015 and a couple others I've forgotten, but they never outshot these two powders for me, although 2015 did shoot better in both my lever guns. Just something else to try if you feel like it.
McLintock

GLL
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Many thanks to ktw and McLintock ! Great information. It is in my book for future reference.

Jerry

ktw
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks to all for the replies, comments and load data.

KTW
This is still just my opinion, but because you are getting round holes at 100 yards do not assume it will do the same at longer range until you try.

Understood. I only shot at 100 yards in the last range session because I only had 15 rounds loaded up and I neglected bring along a larger target backer to use at the 200 yard line. I do plan to check for stability at 200 and 300 in the future. I am not a long range competative shooter. I would be satisfied with a bullet for this rifle that retained stability to 300 yards.

I am not heavily invested in this longer 300gr bullet. It just happens to be the only one I currently have in hand to play with at .382+ and one of the very few off-the-shelf molds that will give me that much as-cast diameter. I look forward to trying some of your 265's and, at some point in the future, the Boomer Mikey Group Buy 268's.

-ktw

ktw
11-12-2007, 07:13 PM
38-55 cast bullet comparison

These are the 38-55 bullet designs I have been able to collect up recently, along with some measurements and notes.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/3855-c.jpg

A) Lee 379-250-RF (have a mold)
Casts at (WW): .3790"-.3800"
Weight = 257.0g-257.8g
Length = 0.926"

Have been able to beagle this one out to .3815" or so. May try to beagle it further. Not much room to place tape on the face of the blocks of this SC mold. May try running the tape in the "V" alignment grooves instead.

B) Bullshop/MM 383-263
Casts at (WW)
..Base band.. = .3845-.3850
..other bands = .3830-.3835
Weight = 263.1g-263.5g
Length = 0.971"

As sold by Bullshop.

C) SAECO 571 (Tapered)
Casts at (Unknown lead-tin alloy):
..Base Band = .3830-.3835"
....B+1...... = .3825-.3830"
....B+2...... = .3810-.3820"
....B+3...... = .3795-.3805"
....B+4...... = .3770-.3775"
....B+5...... = .3750-.3760"
....scraper.. = .3730"
Weight = 309.0g-309.2g
Length = 1.109"

D) SAECO 738 (Tapered)
Casts at (unknown lead-tin alloy):
..Base Band = .3810-.3820"
....B+1...... = .3790-.3800"
....B+2...... = .3770-.3780"
....B+3...... = .3750-.3760"
....B+4...... = .3740-.3750"
....scraper.. = .3730
Weight = 251.7
Length = 0.939"

E) Lyman 375449
Casts at (WW?): .3770-.3780"
Weight = 274.7gr
Length = 1.040"

Bullet is standing a little crooked in picture. Base is good, but there is a small nub on the sprue.

F) Buckshot Group Buy 383-260
Casts at (WW?): .3840-.3875"
Weight: 255.6g
Length: 0.932"

Samples I have are not very round.

I have shootable quantities of A, B and C. I only have a couple each of D, E and F. Plan going forward is to do some load development work with the Bullshop bullet (B) and some 200-300 yard stability tests with the Saeco 571 (C).

I honed out a .382 H&I die to .383 and sized up some of the Bullshop/MM 383-262 (B). These are a much better fit in the unsized Starline 38-55 brass. I could seat a slightly larger (.3835?) bullet in the unsized case but want to try them this way before taking the H&I die larger.

Tempted to scare up a Lyman 375449 mold to use for some paper patch shooting.

-ktw

Kraschenbirn
11-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Shot my Uberti .38-55 Highwall this afternoon for the first time since I installed the Marble Tang Sight and Lyman 17A Globe and it weren’t too shabby if I do say so, myself.

Group below was shot @ 50 meters (IHMSA “chicken” berm) in a gusty 12-15 mph cross-wind and the lower 5-shot cluster goes .525” CTC with the called flyer at 12 o’clock opening the group to 1.011.” Load is an “as cast” 265 gr plain-base from an old Ohaus mold (.381 dia. in 25-1 alloy) over a duplex charge of 42 gr Goex FFg / 3 gr H4227 with a .030 fiber wad. Bullets are pan-lubed with Emmert’s and cases are W-W with Federal Large Rifle Primers. Bullets are seated out to just touch the rifling.

100 meter groups also showed promise…best was just over 3 ½” horizontal (darned cross-wind) by 1 ¼ “ vertical. By that time, though, it had clouded over and the temperature was falling like a homesick crowbar and I just wasn’t dressed for a 30 degree wind chill so I only fired enough rounds to get a solid 100M zero before packing it in for the day.

Bill

ktw
01-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't get the opportunity to do much load development range work this time of the year since our ranges are typically snowed in. We will occasionally snowshoe in a half mile with a handgun or muzzleloader for some exercise, but it gets to be a bit much to haul in a lot of rifle gear when all of the hauling is on your back.

This year we had some fortuitous weather conditions which left us with a lower than normal snow cover, and the road out past our 60 yard range is currently plowed open for a nearby logging job. I took advantage of the situation to do some more shooting with the Uberti Highwall today.

I had mounted a Lyman hooded front site (17a) on the rifle last October. Last week I got out to the range to site that in. I also picked up a single cavity Lyman 375449 since my last report.

Series #1: 50 rounds loaded in Starline 2.125 brass over 28, 29 and 30 gr of IMR 3031.

Lee 379-250-RF @ .382 seated in unsized brass, roll crimped in the crimp groove
BS/MM 383-265 @ .383 seated in unsized brass, roll crimped on the nose above the crimp groove
BS/MM 383-265 @ .382 in partially sized and expanded (.379) brass, lightly taper crimped

Groups ran 2-3 inches at 60 yards and velocities ran 1375-1550 fps. Got a lot of vertical stringing and unburned powder. 28-30gr IMR 3031 does not burn cleanly in this pressure range, particularly in the low neck tension, unsized brass. Use a faster powder for light to mid-range loads.

The BS/MM 383-265 has a full diameter nose above the crimp groove. When sized .382/.383 the full diameter nose portion is too large to fit past the roll crimper in my RCBS Cowboy 38-55 die set (I did not try them sized any smaller). Therefore, I cannot use a roll crimp at this diameter. In the Starline 2.125 brass these need to be seated with the crimp groove inside the case. In my shorter 30-30 brass they work well taper crimped to the top of the top drive band.

Series #2a: 30 rounds of BS/MM 383-265 in blown out Winchester 30-30 brass over 29.0 - 31.5gr IMR 3031

Brass was partially sized and expanded to .379". The slightly thicker brass, increased neck tension and increased powder charges gave higher pressures and better results. Groups ran 1.2" to 2.25" at 60 yards and 1575-1700 fps. Groups opened up at 31.5gr IMR 3031 (1739 fps) which appears to be just too much velocity for the plain based bullet. There is a decent load to be worked up someday in the range of 30-31 grains IMR3031 and I was pretty happy about that... until I got to the last series...

Series #2b: 20 rounds of Lyman 375449 paper patched to .382"

This is my first try at paper patch bullets, and man do these things shoot. I am sold.

The bullets were flawless. The paper patching was of the "still learning" variety. I used two wraps of Mead Acadamie Tracing Paper over as-cast bullets (.377). I didn't find it terribly easy to wrap the patch evenly over the different diameters of nose/drive bands/ gas check shank. Once on they stretched/shrank to a nice form fit on the bullet. They wrapped to .383. After drying I very lightly finger lubed the paper patch with Lee Alox and ran them through a Lee .382 sizer. I loaded them up over 30, 31 and 32 grains of IMR 3031 in blown out 30-30 brass, seated out as long as possible.

Groups ran 0.86" to 1.50" at 60 yards and velocities in the range of 1630-1775 fps.

Best potential load of the day was the Lyman 375449 Paper Patched to .382 over 32.0 grains of IMR 3031 in blown out Winchester 30-30 brass: 0.86" for 5 shots at 60 yards and 1777 fps.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/1885-paperpatch.jpg

-ktw

Buckshot
01-13-2008, 04:12 AM
..............I posted this over on the swaging and paper patching forums, so what the heck, I'll post it here too :-)

http://www.fototime.com/826B799366DFB7B/standard.jpg

No, the boolit in the case isn't at it's correct seating depth :-) The Uberti Hi-Wall doesn't have a throat that long! I just stuck it in like that 'cause it looks kewl. Also, those 321 gr slugs probably wont' stabilize in the Uberti's 18" twist. I had only swaged up maybe 10 of'em so I thought I'd go ahead and patch'em up and give them a try anyway.

Those at 296grs should be just fine as the 18" twist will handle 300 grs. These ended up at .381". I've used up all my 9lb paper which was .0022" and would have given me a .382" slug. I had picked up some light vellum hoping it would replace the airmail paper. When I miked it it was .0027". That's too much as the measurement over the dried patch was a bit more then .384".

Luckily enough one day I was schlumping along after the wife as she cruised every freaking aisle at a craft store. The had an art dept and I perked up checking out some of the paper. I had tried Strathmore brand tracing paper before and while it was nice looking stuff, it would fall apart when wet. This place had some Academie brand, by Mead IIRC. I got it out and it miked .0017". A bit smaller then I wanted, however when wet it held together and would actually stretch.

So those swaged boolits in the photo are patched with that, and losing the half thou per wrap resulted in a .381" vs a .382" patched boolit. The groove is .3794" so this should still work well.

...................Buckshot

ktw
01-13-2008, 02:59 PM
..............I posted this over on the swaging and paper patching forums

Your earlier post was obviously just a cruel trick to tempt me into buying all the equipment necessary for swaging. ;) You guys are going to be the death of my kid's college funds.

Fortunately I was strong enough to resist that temptation, but not strong enough to avoid ordering an adjustable PP mold from Red River Rick. I look forward to trying that out next sumer.

Now, off to the casting pot. I'm going to be needing a pile of those 375449's to tide me over.

-ktw

ktw
01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
..............I posted this over on the swaging and paper patching forums...

My paper patching efforts with the Lyman 375449. Looking forward to trying this without the lube grooves when the smooth side mold comes in.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/PP_ly375449.jpg

-ktw

Buckshot
01-26-2008, 05:20 AM
My paper patching efforts with the Lyman 375449. Looking forward to trying this without the lube grooves when the smooth side mold comes in.
-ktw

..............A 'Made to patch' smooth slug ain't magic :-) I've shot some truly great groups from my 45-70 with the Lee 457-405F paper patched, and don't see how a slug that's smooth could make much of a difference!

.................Buckshot

ktw
01-26-2008, 11:29 AM
..............A 'Made to patch' smooth slug ain't magic :-)

I'm not expecting them to shoot any better. I am expecting them to be easier to wrap. I'm having difficulty getting the paper wrapped evenly and uniformly with all that surface topography.

The ones in the picture are some of the good ones. I'm getting a 10-20% reject rate on bad wraps.

-ktw

KCSO
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
This thread should be a sticky as there is so much good information here. I also shoot a Uberti 38-55 and like the basic gun but dislike haveing to shoot handloads only. All the COWBOY loads i have gotten were all 376 bullets and were worthless.

Buckshot
01-28-2008, 04:34 AM
I'd posted this on the BPC forum and thought i ought to put it here also since there was so much info on the Uberti here.

.................I shot the patched slugs last Wednesday. That attempt was less then steller, but it was fun in any respect.

To back up a bit, accuracy with this rifle (Uberti Hi-Wall) has been, so far a bit less then spectacular. It may be forend issues. I haven't checked yet. However it has a couple rough spots in the barrel. Rough as in patches will drag and it feels 'snaggy', if I can make up a word :-). There is nothing to be seen looking down the barrel from either end.

I have ordered a bore lapping kit from Midway, along with 100 of the cheapest .375" bullets I could find listed. However after firing the 20 patched slugs I had loaded, if anything the 2 places seemed to be less grabby. All 20 rounds flew through their targets point on, and there was no leading. Add to that, there NEVER has been any leading in the some 200 rounds I'd put through it previously.

With that aside, the patches dispersed at the muzzle in tiny pieces as they should have. I didn't have a blow tube (do now) at the time and the 20 rounds were shot thus:

5 rounds, 50 yards no cleaning. The group was maybe 1.5" wide but 8" tall with the shots climbing for each sucseeding shot.

5 rounds, 50 yards and the barrel cleaned before each shot. This produce 4 rounds in about 1.5 - 2" with one off about 2" to the left.

5 Rounds, 100 yards no cleaning. THe shot dispersion was very similar to the 50 yard group fired dirty. I'd have thought it would have been zinging past the target board without even hitting.

5 rounds, 100 yards with the barrel cleaned before each shot. The 1st shot was in the X. The other 4 rounds landed in the upper left corner of the target paper. They were strung horizontally maybe 4" but only about 1" differance in elevation.

I thought the powder fouling would have been worse, but the barrel essentially cleaned with one patch damp with Birchwood Casey's #7 BP solvent after each shot. Of singular appearance to me wast the first patch pushed through the barrel. Upon exiting the muzzle the very end of the patch had a multitude of hair or filament type objects standing up. They had obviously lain parallel to the axis. Don't know what they are except I thought possibly slivers of paper. However they seemed a bit too stiff for that.

I don't plan on shooting it again until I've fire lapped the barrel and fired those 100 jacketed slugs downrange.

....................Buckshot

Boz330
01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Buckshot did you break the barrel in when you first got it, with jacketed?
When I got my 38-55 form C-Sharps the break in called for 20 rounds of jacketed. Cleaning after each shot for the first 10 and then after 2 shots for the second 10. This was for a Badger barrel and the break in directions are on there website. I don't see why this wouldn't work for any new barrel and sure wouldn't hurt. With lead boolits it called for a 100+ rounds. Personally I'm not that fond of cleaning.
I've lapped several barrels over the years and it worked fine on some and was a waste of time on a few. You might have something on checking the fore end, could be the barrel is heating up and pushing it against the receiver. Eight inches vertical at 50yd is a lot. Good luck.

Bob

garandsrus
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Buckshot,

Why wouldn't you just embed the lapping compound in cast boolits? How are you going to use the .375 bullets? Since your bore is larger than that, they are just going to bounce around while going down the tube, right?

John

zipdog
01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
The first is with a plain base 245 gr, .380 diameter and with 18 gr of IMR4227. I got the load from a Ken Waters Pet Loads article on the 375 Winchester and it's proven to be a very consistent and dependable load in my Browning.

McLintock, what boolit is this? I'm in the process of acquiring a Uberti High Wall and need load info.

Thanks,

Rusty

McLintock
01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Those are a hard cast, 2 lube groove bullet with bevel base, sold by numerous bullet makers. I have them by both Meister Bullet, which used to be located in Phoenix, but has moved to Texas, and Western Nevada bullets, who used to be up by Reno. I think they've closed down, but I got 2 or 3 thousand a couple years ago and they'll last till I kick the bucket. The two are identical and probably come from a Magma Mould as Meister used Magma equipment when they were in Phoenix. I used to sell their bullets at gun shows so visited their shop regularly to pick up orders and I started using the bullet about 10 years ago.
McLintock

Buckshot
02-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Buckshot,

Why wouldn't you just embed the lapping compound in cast boolits? How are you going to use the .375 bullets? Since your bore is larger than that, they are just going to bounce around while going down the tube, right?

John

..............I figure I'll use cast @ .382" to embed the abrasive, and then shoot the jacketed as a final finish :-). You're right, with a bore of .373" and .375" jacketed slugs, there won't be much bite.

..............Buckshot

zipdog
02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
A little advice, please.....I just purchase a Uberti .38-55 high wall, and the barrel slugs at 0.372 and 0.378. What should I size to? .380 dies seem to be pretty scarce. Would .379 be OK?

Rusty

montana_charlie
02-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm going to slip this link into the thread...and hope you don't decide I am tromping on your Uberti discussion.

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=36136&LastModified=4675659926151917790

The post covers information about a rifle that (at least) has a Uberti receiver...

CM

boommer
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
YES THEY have dried up at times I seen them on ebay 2.00 each but starline and jamison are making them now so we might not see that problem again. I do use fire formed 30-30 cases in my 94 they cycle real nice with longer bullets. I think back and winchester was the only one making it for awhile and it was a seasonal run on them.Remington was producing loaded shells but no cases.then betram went busted and jamison bought there equipment but then had to retool . I THINK !!

zipdog
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Mountain Moulds program indicates that 265gr and 0.97" (approx) are the max weight/length for the caliber. The Greenhill formula suggests that 1.2" for a 18" twist is the max. Does anyone have experience with longer boolits?

Jon K
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, I tried, tried and tried. Uberti 1885 38-55 1:18 twist with LYMAN 38-55c 335g #378674 (.378d) 1-CAVITY (http://www.grafs.com/fc/product/169140)(1.312" OAL) It wizzzzed, whistled and did everything but hit the target @200m. Well a couple did hit, but keyholed. I couldn't sell it fast enough.

The Saeco #571 300grain Tapered FP works great, 1.120"OAL
I sized this boolit to.3805" as cast the base band is .382"+ and was hard to chamber.

Jon

zipdog
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks, Jon....what did you sell, the mold or the rifle?

Lumpie
02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
................HEek, I thought the new Hi-Walls from Italy were only in a couple 45 cals and 40-65? I'd really like to have one in 38-55. I sure don't like to hear about a .382" groove though :-(

................Buckshot

I have a Uberti in 405 winchester. It slugs out at .4195. Now ain!t that one for you. I turned a .422 bullet in my lathe and guess what it would not chamber.Sent the gun to their repair shop in Farmington New york. The man that handles the repair work for Uberti. His name is Ron Collestat. He confirmed my findings. He sent word to the Italians about this slip up. When the replacement barrel came in, guess what, same size. :Fire:Now this has been over 6 months, and I have not recieved my rifle back Cimarron says that they test fired the rifle and it was a Shooter. Now I ask you If saami specs say .410- .411, then where did they come up with ammo to shoot this shooter. My club only allows handloads, and where are you going to find a suitable mold of this dia. .422?. My advice is to be leary of them folks. I also have a friend that bought a 348 winchester in one of the Uberti highwalls. It sluged out, to shoot 35 cal. bullets?

Buckshot
02-15-2008, 04:02 AM
...................So what are they going to do at this point? Are you waiting on a 3rd barrel?

................Buckshot

ktw
03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
It has been a while since my last update. The weather broke a bit here in the UP today, temps in the low 30's, almost starting to look like spring. I grabbed up what I had loaded, loaded up one of the kids snow sleds with my range gear and dragged everything up to the range.

The point of the exercise today was to empty some brass So that I could anneal them and get started on some blackpowder load development once real shooting weather arrives.

The ammo boxes contained two series:
1) Confirmation rounds for some of the more promising loads from the previous range session (Lyman 375449 PP to .382 over 31.0-32.5 IMR3031 in starline 2.125" brass)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/PP_ly375449.jpg

This will make a good hunting load with solid 1"-2", 100 yard performance. 32.5gr of 3031 gets me over 1800 fps with good groups, no leading and no gas check. To date these have been cast with WW at 12 BHN. In the future I'd like to try them cast with 8 bhn range scrap and 5 bhn pure lead.

Just for fun I took some of my wrap-rejects and loaded them up in the shorter, blown out Winchester 30-30 brass over the same powder range of IMR3031. I seated them to the same overall length. The necks on these were tighter and I tore the outer layer of several patches slightly while seating them. What was surprising was that even with the bad wrap job these shot nearly as well as the good ones. The thicker brass gave me ~30 fps more velocity across the charge range over the longer, thinner starline 1.125" brass.

2) a quick test of fillers (Packing Pellets and COW) using IMR 4227 and 2400.

BS/MM 383-265, sized .383,BHN 12,50/50 lube
Starline 2.125 brass (new, not fire-formed, expanded .379, lots of neck tension), CCI200, 5 shot groups

Powder .. Charge .. filler ...... fps .. sd .. es .. Group @ 60 yds
-------------------------------------------------------------------
IMR4227 . 17.0 gr . none .... 1261 . 82 .221 ... 8.25"
IMR4227 . 17.0 gr . COW .... 1396 . 26 . 61 ... 3.00" (4 in 1.00")
IMR4227 . 17.0 gr . PPellet . 1421 . 17 . 48 ... 4.56" (4 in 2.99")

IMR4227 . 18.0 gr . none .... 1293 . 31 . 87 ... 5.72" (4 in 1.61")
IMR4227 . 18.0 gr . COW .... 1446 . 10 . 26 ... 1.58" (4 in 0.80")
IMR4227 . 18.0 gr . PPellet . 1496 . 15 . 38 ... 1.69"

2400 ...... 16.0 gr . none .... 1483 . 18 . 45 ... 2.06"
2400 ...... 16.0 gr . COW .... 1513 . 19 . 49 ... 1.51" (4 in 0.59")
2400 ...... 16.0 gr . PPellet . 1506 . 04 . 11 ... 1.30"

2400 ...... 17.0 gr . none .... 1549 . 07 . 14 ... 2.37" (4 in 2.00")
2400 ...... 17.0 gr . COW .... 1576 . 01 . 03 ... 1.83" (4 in 1.48")
2400 ...... 17.0 gr . PPellet . 1553 . 09 . 20 ... 2.59" (4 in 1.61")

2400 ...... 18.0 gr . none .... 1625 . 27 . 65 ... 1.72" (4 in 1.44")
2400 ...... 18.0 gr . COW .... 1627 . 04 . 10 ... 1.87" (4 in 1.00")
2400 ...... 18.0 gr . PPellet . 1623 . 07 . 19 ... 2.16" (4 in 1.32")

COW = Cream of Wheat (40S&W case full over thin cork wad I punched from a sheet)
PPellet = Piece of styrofoam packing pellet large enough to fill the empty space in the case, as suggested by Bullshop

Observations:

- Either filler resulted in a dramatic improvement over no filler loads with IMR4227. I like the concept of substituting something cheap, like filler, for something expensive, like powder, and getting more velocity and smaller extreme spreads in the process.

- The no filler IMR4227 loads shot dirty (unburned powder). The IMR4227 loads with filler left the barrel clean.

- Fillers did not dramatically improve the 2400 loads, but they didn't hurt either.

- COW as a filler seems to offer slightly better performance than the packing pellets and the packing pellets better than 'no filler' loads, across the board.

Going forward:

I received a smooth side, adjustable paper patch mold from KAL Tool & Die. More here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=303983#post303983). I plan to start working with these in pure lead and 8 BHN range scrap over black powder this spring/summer.

I received my copy of the Boomer Mikey group buy mould (381-265-pb) but haven't done any casting with it yet. I plan to cast some up and move my grease groove/smokeless load testing over to this boolit.

-ktw

500 FAN
03-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Hello,
I Am New Hear, So Hello To All, I Purchased A 1885 Uberti With A .374 Bore/ .382 Groove, My Question Is, Are There Any Comercial Bullets Out There That Would Work With This Combo? I Use Laser Cast In My 45/70's With Smokeless And They Work Great, But There Biggest 375 Cal Boolit Is .381. Any Ideas ?

ktw
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Are There Any Comercial Bullets Out There That Would Work With This Combo?

I bought some from The Bullshop (link at bottom of page) to keep me busy while collecting up some of my own molds. These are described earlier in this thread (post #30, BS/MM) and large enough to work in your rifle.

I have plenty of these on hand and would be happy to share some with you given that we are in the same local area. If you like them you can order more from The Bullshop.

-ktw

ktw
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Two new boolits to add to the lineup in post #30

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/gb268_kal-pp.jpg

The one on the left is the Boomer Mikey Group Buy 381-268-pb. The three on the right are all the same KAL paper patch bullet (more on mold here) (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=303983#post303983).

G) Group Buy Lee 381-268-pb
Casts at (WW + 2% tin): .3815"-.3820"
Weight = 273.3 gr
Length = 0.998"

I have beagled this mold slightly to throw .3825-.3835" bullets.

H) KAL 369-2.5T-200
Casts at (Pure Lead): .3680"
Weight = 270.5 gr
Length = 1.006" (as pictured, mold is adjustable for length)

I have also finished loading my first 50 paper patch, blackpowder rifle rounds. I am hoping to get out to shoot them sometime next week.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/bp-pp.jpg

-ktw

Buckshot
03-29-2008, 04:19 AM
...............Good looking boolits, all the way around. I got the GB mould also but haven't used it yet.

...............Buckshot

Jon K
03-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey Rick,

KAL, do they have a 300-350 gr PP mould?

Jon

Red River Rick
03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Jon K:

The mould that Ktw bought from me is adjustable. The approx. maximum weight of a bullet that could be dropped from this mould would be around 400 grains.

Hope this info helps.

RRR

ktw
03-29-2008, 11:24 PM
...............Good looking boolits, all the way around. I got the GB mould also but haven't used it yet.

I struggled with the Group Buy mold and straight WW for a couple of casting sessions. Even after lapping it was difficult to get the mold to let go. The solution I finally arrived at was a hot mold and supplemental tin. Being a cheap SOB, I hate to add tin to my WW if I don't have to. With this mold I have to, but once I do it drops bottom poured, well filled out boolits with only a light tap.

The smooth sided KAL boolits are much easier to get good wraps on than those 375449s.

-ktw

ktw
04-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I shot my first 50 rounds of blackpowder loads today. I've got a lot of work to do. ;-)

I used the RS Wright book (Loading And Shooting Paper Patch Bullets) as my primary reference when putting these together. I made some mistakes.

- I lubed the paper patches with a light coat of my regular muzzleloader conical lube (a concoction containing Beeswax, Castor Oil and Murphy's Oil Soap). I probably shouldn't have. It soaked in and softened the patches slightly. Next time I plan to load them dry.

- I used a 0.10" lube cookie (White Label BPCR) between two cardboard wads that I punched out of a cardboard soda can box (.020" each). It looked like a lot of lube when loading them. It wasn't enough. I never got any sign of lube at the muzzle. Plan to try a 0.20" lube cookie next time.

- I compressed the powder charge with the .375" neck expander in my RCBS cowboy die set. This left the over-powder wad somewhat dished. Need to get a proper flat-ended compression plug.

- I neglected to open the case mouths (Lee Universal Expander) for bullet seating until after I had already loaded the lube cookie and second card wad. This left the second card wad slightly dished and caused some lube to migrate around the wad. I should have done this after powder compression and prior to loading the lube cookie.

I loaded two different powder charges and two different bullet alloys: 10 rounds of each combination, plus 10 extra for sighters and foulers. COL was 2.870" in all cases. I threw all the charges using a Lyman 55 measure then checked them on a scale. Charges were all compressed to leave 0.366" of empty neck above overpowder wad.

- Starline 2.125 brass (necks annealed), CCI 200 primers
- 44.7 or 47.7 grains GOEX FFFg (weighed out at +/- .2 gr by weight in all cases)
- 0.020" cardboard overpowder wad, 0.10" lube cookie, 0.020 card wad.
- 5bhn pure lead (.3740" patched diameter) or 8bhn range scrap (.3745" patched diameter)

This COL put the boolits out long into the rifling. I was able to thumb seat the pure lead loads into my Uberti for the first 2 rounds after wiping. The third round in a fouled barrel needed help (push with dowel). I couldn't load any of the 8bhn alloy boolits fully with thumb pressure, they all needed the dowel for full seating. The lighter charge gave me a shade over 1300fps. The 3 additional grains of FFFg boosted velocity by ~50fps.

After about 10 shots with intermittent barrel patching I resorted to wiping after every shot. I plan to try a duplex load next time to help control the fouling in front of the chamber, drop bullet weight from 270 grains to 255 grains for a shorter COL and stick with pure lead for easier loading.

My best target of the day, in all it's glory. Seven shots at 60 yards. The 7th hole was just off the top of the page. I like to think of it as a good three shot group with four additional fliers. ;-)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/1885bp-best.jpg

-ktw

500 FAN
04-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Ktw,
Finally Got Out To Try The Bullets From Bullshop That You Gave To Me . They Worked Great. My Load Was 18gr. 4227 With Bullshop 264gr. Boolit Lubed With Spg. Cci Bench Rest Lr Primers.starline Long Case. I Turned The Case Primer Side Down To Get The Powder Over The Primer And Carfully Inserted Into The Chamber To Keep Powder At The Back Worked Great. 3/4" @ 100yds. My Gun Is A Uberti 38-55 Single Trigger Modified Armi-sport Long Rang Tang And Globe Front With Insert Front. Thanks To Ktw For The Bullets And To All Of You For The Loading Data.

Ktw, Do You Know What The Lead Mix Was On Those Bullets As I Would Like To Order Somemore They Worked Great!!!7007

ktw
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Ktw, Do You Know What The Lead Mix Was On Those Bullets As I Would Like To Order Somemore They Worked Great!!!

I ordered them in his "standard wheelweight" alloy, nothing special. I did size them to .383. You might want ask him to do that for you if you don't have a sizer.

-ktw

500 FAN
04-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Ktw,
I Was Thinking Of Trying Some Cow In My Load, But I Have Read Alot Of Horror Storys, What Did You Put Between The Cow And The Powder To Keep Them Seperated, And Was There Any Pressure Sign?/

ktw
04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Ktw,
I Was Thinking Of Trying Some Cow In My Load, But I Have Read Alot Of Horror Storys, What Did You Put Between The Cow And The Powder To Keep Them Seperated, And Was There Any Pressure Sign?/

I punched out wads from a thin sheet of cork material. This comes in rolls from places like Office Max or Menards. The roll I have measured .095" thick on my calipers. I didn't buy it for this purpose - this was leftovers from another project. I suspect a regular cardboard wad would work just as well.

It did raise pressure (increased velocity, cleaner burn). That was the point of adding it. I would suggest trying it to clean up the burn characteristics of otherwise dirty loads when using the midrange powders at well below max charge weights.

I would be more cautious about simply adding a lot of COW to an already stiff load of fast burning powder.

-ktw

Mumblypeg
05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a Cimmeron- Uberti 1885 High Wall on the way and was thinking about getting some brass so I would have it when the rifle got here. Stareline shows two lengths, 2.082" and 2.125", which one should I get or should I wait on the rifle?

ktw
05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Mine has the longer chamber. I have been primarily using the 2.125" Starline brass in it.

I have done some shooting with shorter, blown out 30-30 brass at 2.010(-)". It has worked reasonably well with smokeless loads, but the necks are thicker than the Starline brass. Depending on the groove diameter in your rifle, this may or may not present a problem with chambering groove diameter bullets.

I have not tried the 2.080" brass by Starline or Winchester.

-ktw

bullshot
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
KTW
What did you use to size to .383?

ktw
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a .382 push through sizer I ordered directly from Lee and a .383 (custom size) Lyman H&I Sizer I ordered from Buffalo Arms Company. Both companies will provide them in any size you want on request.

-ktw

500 FAN
05-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I Have Used Nothing But Long Starline Brass, With Very Good Results. Also The Bullshop Bullets That I Received And Use Are Exellent.

Mumblypeg
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info about the cases, but now i have another problem... The rifle came today, Bought off of gun bloker( I said it right) it was used and one of the things that made me want it was the fact that it had a mid range creedmore tang sight on it. Best I can tell worth about $200. Now the rifle is OK but some monkey at the USPS jumped up and down on it and broke the sight off. Yea I know the sender should have taken it off and wrapped it separate but he didn't and yes it was insured BUT... the only thing thats broke is the piece between the base and the bottom of the sight, the hing part I guess you could say. The USPS wants the whole package if I go for insurance, not to mention all the paper work which is a PITA! The sight it seems was made in or came from New Zeland. I've checked that web site and it shows no info on parts only whole sights. I don't want to send the gun back, I just want to fix the sight. It's a ( I know you have been waiting for this) Pedersoli. Does any one know where I might get the part I need for this brand??

Jon K
05-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Lee Shaver...........here's the link

http://www.egunsmith.com/Default.htm?intro.html

Jon

4060MAY
05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=65&cat=Sights

parts place for most Italian stuff

bigjim
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your broken sight from UPS. I just ordered and received a 38-55 highwall from Az. and that was my main worry about shipping damage. I'm new on this forum just found it a short time ago but talking to other members of shooting and reloading websites that seems to be a major problem with UPS breaking firearms especially gunstocks that are shipped through their company. I have read where this has been going on for some time now and you hope that UPS would find the people doing this and fire them. It's bad enough to receive a damaged package in the mail and have to turn around and go through the hassel of an insurance claim where they try to make you look like the bad guy. Keep us informed of your claim with UPS as alot of people would like to know how they will handle this.

Good shooting,
Bigjim
U.P. Deerhunter

Brownie
06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
my Uberti catalog lists the Hi-Wall in these calibers, 30-30, 38-55, 40-65, 44-40, 45LC, 45-70, 45-90, 45-120, 308WIN. 30-40KRAG.

Mumblypeg
06-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Bigjim,
I just saw your post from back when (may 30th ?). There is so much stuff on here to try to keep up with.
It was not UPS that broke the sight, it was the U.S. Postal Service. I've never had a problem with UPS but anyway I decieded it wasn't worth the trouble to make a claim so I just ate the loss and bought a Marbles tang sight. At some point I may see if somebody here would machine the broke part as I can't find just that part although it might not be worth the cost. But you know what? I think the Dog Will Hunt! I loaded up some 249gr pb commercial boolits on top of 18grs of IMR 4227 and they shoot pretty good. About a 2-1/2" group at 100yds. I think I can pull that in a little with some work. Heck, that's better than my 55yoa eye can see. Yea, Eye... can't see out of the other one right now but that's another story. I was just thankful that I didn't have a lemon. So now I was wondering what's the best BOOLIT before I buy a mold for this thing. 249, 265 or 335grs? I kind of want a plain base but I could do a GC if that's what really shoots. I know somebody else here had good results with the 375449 Lyman though I'm leaning toward the375248-249gr. I think I'm gonna really like this 38-55!
Bern

Mumblypeg
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Bigjim
BTY Did you get yours? How does it shoot?

Jon K
06-12-2008, 12:21 AM
So now I was wondering what's the best BOOLIT before I buy a mold for this thing. 249, 265 or 335grs? I kind of want a plain base but I could do a GC if that's what really shoots. I know somebody else here had good results with the 375449 Lyman though I'm leaning toward the375248-249gr. I think I'm gonna really like this 38-55!
Bern

The 375449 is a good choice for your Uberti. Forget the 335 grain Lyman(1.312" oal), it is too long for the 1:18 twist. I will have to disagree with the 375248, as your gun is more than likely .379 + on the groove diameter. I have had 3 different Lyman #375248, and each has been .377-.3775. If you want a 250-255 gr PB try the Saeco #738, or Lee 379-250-RF. Magma also has a boolit mould which looks like the Lee 379-250RF, but is .3805. Saeco also makes a 300 gr #571.

I can send you samples of the Saeco 738, 571, Lyman 375449, & Magma 250. PM me, if intereted.

Jon

Mumblypeg
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
PM sent Jon

bigjim
06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Mumblypeg

Sorry I haven't answered your reply sooner. I don't spend much time on the computer in the summertime. My highwall is the Winchester reproduction made in Japan. I have only shot one box of factory loaded Winchester ammunition out of it to break in the barrel. I wasn't happy with the results from the factory ammo. It was a 255 grain jacketed bullets. For some reason Winchester had the Japanese make their own barrel for this receiver. All the other highwalls that Winchester has made have the badger barrels on them. I don't know why they did this because everyone I know that has the Badger barrels on their rifles say they really shoot good. I too am in the process of buying and trying different bullets before I buy a mold for this rifle. I am still gathering more reloading supplies for this caliber. All of my bullet making and reloading dyes are for the four single shot 45/70 rifles that I shoot. So I too am in a learning curve on the paticular caliber. I know alot of people have had good luck with your rifle once you figure out what the rifle likes. Most guys do good with a 380. diameter bullet of about 300 grains and cast 30 to 1 or 20 to 1. You will just have to try several different bullets until you find the right one that your rifle likes Most of them seem to shoot a longer bullet too. Hope this gives you some ideas as I don't have that much experience with this caliber. Let me know how you are doing from time to time and I will compare notes with you.

Good shooting,
Bigjim
U.P. Deerhunter

Mumblypeg
06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey bigjim,
Jon K was kind enough to send me some projectiles to try in the 38-55. So far I haven't been thrilled at the results but not so bad that I'm ready to make a boat anchor ouy of it either. The Lyman 375449 seems to have shot the best so far but the Magma 250's are close. 4227 is the best powder out of what I'v tried, 18.0grs.
The 300grs seem to be a little wild. I don't have any reloader 7 to try. IIRC that's a good powder to try. I guess the best group has been about 2 inches but that was only once and the others open up a bunch. All are shot at 100yds. If that was consistant I could live with it but I really expect to do better. I have another ubertti in 30-30 that I've shot 1 1/2" groups but put it aside to work with the 38-55 for awhile. I'm still working on it. I'll keep you posted...

Jon K, Thanks for the boolits. I OWE you man and I'll let you know about that item after a few more shooting sessions I hope.

Jon K
06-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Mumblypeg,

The 300 grain Saeco shot very well for me with 5744, 4759 & Unique. Although 4227 looked the best and most promising on the chronogrph, it didn't group. Tested it in Uberti High Wall, Win '94, H&R BC, T/C (Van Horn Barrel).

I just tried the 5744 in my new CPA Stevens 44 1/2, and it seems to shoot very accurate, although I will shoot mainly BP in it.

Experiment, that's half the fun of cast boolits.

bigjim
06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Mumblypeg,

Sounds like you are on the right track so far. It is going to be awhile yet before I will be able to start reloading for my new rifle. I bought 50 rounds of Starline brass and have received them and annealed them. Those long cases fit my chamber good. I ordered a rcbs die set. I plan on using .380 dia. bullets to start and my question is I want to thumb seat these bullets and need to know what size neck sizing plug I need to get? Do you think a .378 dia. would work? Also running low on lead. Haven't bought any in a few years. The 45/70 that I cast for sure take up alot of lead. Just wondering where there is a good deal on purchasing some over the internet.

Take care,
Good shooting
Bigjim

Mumblypeg
06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
bigjim, Keep looking on this sight. Some other theads have guys selling ww and other metal all the time. I would think the swaping and selling thread would have it. We are always talking about finding or not finding wheel weights(W-W) to melt down to make boolits.

ktw
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I plan on using .380 dia. bullets to start and my question is I want to thumb seat these bullets and need to know what size neck sizing plug I need to get? Do you think a .378 dia. would work?

I would try thumb seating one in a fireformed case. You may not need to size/expand at all. If you do want to size, I would think .378 for a .380 would be ok for seating in a press but too tight to thumb seat.

-ktw

Jon K
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
bigjim,

Make sure you slug the barrel first before you commit to a expander plug that ay be too small.

Expander plug w/.3805 boolit, I use a .379x.382 expander plug from BACO.
Follow up with a very light taper crimp, just enough to keep the boolit from falling out.

Works for me.

Jon

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
the twist is what kept me from ordering one. I have a Shiloh Sharps with a 1:12" twist Krieger barrel in 38-90. The barrel is a true .375" not a .38. Land & Groove are .367"x.375". I shot well at the Quigley other than forgetting to reset my sights (from the 600yd setting) when I went to the Buffalo at 784yds. I have been Emailing Dick Trenk RE the Pedersoli Target Model HiWall in 38-55. Smart people, they went with the 1:12" twist. I can shoot sub-moa with my 375gr semi-spitzer, and under 2moa with the 335gr Lyman.

Rich

GLL
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Rich:

Can you please provide details about the Pedersoli 38-55 Target High Wall? I would be interested in getting one !

Jerry

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Dick says they are just starting to filter in, a lot of distributors at the SHOT Show were interested, but rifles were not going to be available until May, so they held off ordering. Since then, they have been apprehensive about the market for a target version, even though it is a Hunting Model with good long range sights and DST's.

Rich

ktw
07-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I got side tracked this summer with work and some other higher priority load development projects, leaving me less time than desired to work with the Uberti. I did get to the range with it last Friday.

The Saeco 571's did remain stable out to 200 yards and turned in some impressive groups in the process.

I had a whole 50 round box of my 375449-paper-patched-over-3031 loads and spent most of my time playing with sight settings at 200 and 300 yards. The range has a 12" gong hanging out at 330 yards. After about 4 sighters to establish sight settings I had no problem ringing it about 80% of the time. With a little more practice I think I can make up those misses.

I could not see any of my paper targets well enough through the peeps at 200 yards. I ended up spray painting entire paper plates. Those worked well at both 200 and 300 yards.

-ktw

STCMSW
02-13-2009, 02:53 AM
What a great thread!
I have a Winchester 1885 HW repro.
Have 1 box of WW 255gr & 1 box of Buffalo Bore 255 gr both jacketed SP for sighting in & barrel break-in.
Got 50 WW bag brass & 100 each of 250 gr .377 & .378 from Dave @ Montana Bullet Works to start with.
Paperwork with the rifle has it as a 1-18 twist , Bore Diam's: Lands .368 Grooves .376 .
Looking for loads & boolit mold to get. Have several hundred lbs of Lyman#2 alloy.
Don't know if that is good in this rifle.
Did load 20 rounds of .377 & .378 using 5744. 5 each from 20 gr to 23 gr.
Now, the snow here is still bad, so don't know when I'm going to get out and shoot this beauty, but want to mold & load more.
Any help will be appreciated.

Jon K
02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
STCMSW,

That load combo 5744/250 gr will shoot good, let the gun tell which it likes best. It would still be best to slug the bore, then you know exactly what you have, often printed specs won't even make good toilet paper.

Have Fun shooting,
Jon

mod70
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Has any one done a cast of the uberti 38-55 chamber as to what case length they are chambered for?
Thanks!
John Roberts

Buckshot
07-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Has any one done a cast of the uberti 38-55 chamber as to what case length they are chambered for?
Thanks!
John Roberts

.............Mine handles the original (long) brass. The 2.125" as available from Starline.

..............Buckshot

ktw
10-31-2009, 11:05 PM
It's been a while since my last update. I didn't get a lot of shooting time in this summer. Only had the Uberti out three times. I have not done any further load development work with it. Most of the shooting I did do was with a couple of smokeless loads I had worked up earlier; working on sight settings and gaining some more experience with the peep sites at 200 and 300 yards.

I was also delinquent in getting around to compiling up my targets and range notes for the summer. I finally finished that up this evening and to cap that project off I am posting this update.

My favorite load is still the paper patched Lyman 375449 over 32.5 grains of IMR3031. I can cast this out of wheelweights and wrap with the Mead Academy tracing paper or cast it out of 8 BHN range scrap and wrap with a slightly thicker tracing paper I have on hand for a final wrapped diameter in both cases of .382. I haven't seen any significant difference in group size between the two. The 8 BHN slug gives me approximately 50 fps more velocity and hits slightly higher on the targets.

Both loads have been giving me reliable 2.0 to 2.5 MOA performance over 10 shots at both the 200 and 300 yard lines. The rifle and load may well be capable of more, but based on my limited my experience with the vernier sight I have been thrilled to be doing that well at those ranges.

I did finish up a partial box of loads with the SEACO 300 grainer at the 200 yard line and see what I suspect may be instability in some of the holes on the targets. I'm going to have to load up a few more and try them on the 300 yard target to be sure. I've only been pushing it 1400 fps with 2400 to date. A load with a little more velocity might be in order.

The rifle has been a hoot to shoot on the plates at 200 and 300 yards. Most days I am shooting there alone but I did have one session where a couple of guys stopped by just in time to see me go 10 for 10 on a 10" steel plate at 300 yards. Those guys are still talking about it a couple of months later.

-ktw

giorgio
01-31-2010, 06:30 AM
I too have an Uberti 38-55 Highwall ,I bought it at the factory,I live in nortern Italy.
I got the shotgun style stock,the double point Kentucky style stock is painful,for me.
No double triggers,(stecker) I hate them.
I shoot .379 bullets,I have not measured bore nor throat,a mistake,but as it shoots satisfactorily,I just load and shoot.
Good results with a 37- 250 -FN by RCBS, and a similar design from a four cav saeco mold,Though it casts 376-377 bullets.
I had 1 - 1 1/4 moa groups with Lyman378674,but I hate to work with single cavity moulds.
My latest mould is a four cavity 300 grainer,gas check mould By Veral Smith of LBT,I have tried it at 25 meters only,because of the foul weather.
I have to wake up and prepare the rifle for a 200 meters match in mid march.
I'll put on a Pedersoli vernier tang sight and a Lyman 17A front sight on an US ramp.
I'll use the front sight for lateral adjustements,using a sight pusher,and the rear Vernier for vertcal adjustements.
The Soule tang sight would be better for both tipes of adjustements ,but I have only one of them ,and it is on a 45/70 rifle.....
Some day I might screw on the flat octagon barrel of my Highwalls a Marlin Weaver base,and experiment with modern scopes, I think that the Highwalls are the very best and safe single shot replica rifles.
As far as I know their latest barrels are made by old and good Pratt & Withney american machines that Uberti bought from Armando Piscetta,a respected name in replica guns and old ex GI rifles.

Don McDowell
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I recently got ahold of one of these rifles.
I'm using the lyman 335 gr bullet cast from 20-1 pan lubed with sagebrush alox , and loaded in winchester cases with 22 grs of 5744. Accuracy on paper looked reasonable enough, and there was no problem hitting the metal gongs at Alliance Ne all the way out to the 965 yd bear.
Only real gripe is the hokey deal with the set trigger, the back trigger needs to be set before the front will release the sear, and that squirrely shaped crescent butt plate with the knob for the cleaning rod cover will sure get your attention.
Have now cut the butt of to a shotgun butt, and think things may work better now.
Got ahold of some fiber wads so now will go on with some blackpowder trials.

hk33ka1
01-03-2011, 02:33 AM
I've been considering either the Pedersoli 807 High Wall or the Uberti in .38-55. I'm wondering if the Pedersoli might be the better choice based on standard mold availability among other things. Any one with experience slugging Pedersolis and their diameters compared to the Uberti? I have a Lee 379-250-RF mold thats dropping WW at .381. Considering ordering a sizing die too but want to have an idea of what size to start with.

DHB
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I know this is a CB wesite. I have a Cimarron 38-55 for sale now. That's not why I'm replying though. I installed a tang sight and fired it twice with (God Forbid) jacketed bullets, I had bought already loaded and got a two shot group of less than one inch at 100 yards. The following week I lucked into an original Winchester Highwal in 38-55. This is just to show not all Cimarron's are over sized. I also have a 40-65 (Cimarron) I've never gotten to shoot well.
D

500 FAN
01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello all,

Every once and a while I get a second to log in. I purchased a uberti 2 yrs ago now and have done lots of testing with smokeless and just started with Swiss. My chamber slugged out at a whopping .382 At first I was going to send it back but with the help of Bullshop, came up with a bullet 265gr. .383 that works well with 18gr. 4227. And although the testing has just begun on the black. Shot this weekend at 200yds. 6 goups of 5 worst was 4"x4" and best 1.250.!!! Average was around 2.5" Load was Starline long brass, winchester LR primers, 45 grains swiss 1.5, circle fly wad, and the 265 bullet. Chamber although generous in diameter, is short so bullet is just off the rifling. no crimp. only lowered to smooth off bell. So the moral of this story is even though the barrel diameter is larg with the right combo lots of potetial.

bullshot
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
HK33KA1
If you buy a 38-55 buy the Pedersoli High Wall. I have one of the first to come into the country. Nice rifle, finish & fit is excellent. Unfortunatly I can't give you realistic reports. Mine slugs .379.5. I have tried sizing at .380 and .381 using the Lee boolit and the Lyman (I think #) 378684. I shoot only smokeless and have good luck with both boolits with IMR4227 and Unique using Starline 2.125 brass. Too many projects and not too much range time. will agree with DHB that the Cimarron/Uberti's IMO don't shoot well. I had one in 40-65 I couldn't make shoot well, that was just rebarreled to 40-70 Sharps BN. Waiting for dies for that puppy. Have one in 30-40 Krag that won't do much better than two in at 100 yds. Maybe another candidate for a new barrel.

hk33ka1
01-19-2011, 02:05 AM
I've ordered a S807 Pedersoli in .38-55 and should have it in a week.

hk33ka1
01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
My Pedersoli has arrived and it's very nice. Haven't shot it yet, but my unsized .381" Lee boolit in a Win case chambers tight and only then with a bit of force. I think I'm going to wait until my .380" Lee Sizer arrives and try that. I'd like to slug mine too, but don't have any lead in the size range (.390" or so) Just .358" and .458"

oneokie
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
My Pedersoli has arrived and it's very nice. Haven't shot it yet, but my unsized .381" Lee boolit in a Win case chambers tight and only then with a bit of force. I think I'm going to wait until my .380" Lee Sizer arrives and try that. I'd like to slug mine too, but don't have any lead in the size range (.390" or so) Just .358" and .458"

Try slugging with one of the .381" boolits, you may be surprised.

Don't use a wood dowel.

pbcaster45
07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I've been periodically getting advice from Buckshot on my Uberti 38-55 Highwall. I'm not very skilled at shooting with open sights and cast but I'm getting there. Here's my last message to him.

Buckshot,

It looks like I might have a good barrel on my Cimmaron High Wall but - I can't be certain yet (I'm a lousy shot with open sights!) I ended up getting a tang sight from Steve Baldwin (he lives 20 miles from me).

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/CimarronHighWallRSide.jpg

This is the best load so far.

Bullet: Buffalo Arms 275 gr. FN (.380/SPG/1-20 alloy)
Powder: 21.0 gr. IMR 4198
Primer: CCI-200
Case: Winchester (.377 inside neck diameter)

Five shots at 100 yards.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/100yardswith38-55HighWall.jpg

It was pretty much a 50 yard gun (for me) with the factory sights, now its like having a whole new rifle!

pbcaster45
07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Went to the range today to chronograph some loads in the Uberti and this rifle is really starting to perform! And to think I thought it was just a pretty lemon! Got to give credit to that Steve Baldwin tang sight - its awesome!

Five shots at 100 yards (1.3 inches)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/BuffaloArms275grFN379.jpg

Bullet: Buffalo Arms 275 gr. FN (.379/SPG/1-20 alloy)
Powder: 21.0 gr. IMR 4198
Primer: CCI-200
Average Velocity: 1578.21 fps
ES: 42.85
SD: 14.79
Comments: Used neck sized Winchester brass and mild crimp. Very clean burning with no visible leading.

Ten shots at 100 yards (2.10 inches)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/CastPerformance260grLFNGC380.jpg

Bullet: Cast Performance 260 gr. LFNGC (.380)
Powder: 20.0 grs. Accurate 5744
Primer: Wolf Large Rifle
Average Velocity: 1523.78 fps
ES: 30.32
SD: 14.10
Comments: Not as clean burning as IMR-4198 but cleaner than H4895.

Hiwall55
05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Buy a lyman 330gr. and have some one bore the grooves out to .381, thats what I did to my 38/55 . BP or 20.5 gr. of 4227 ,its a tackdriver!!

pbcaster45
10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Here's a little update.

I had this box of Oregon Trail 240 gr. RNFPs (.380) that have been sitting around for years. I just couldn't get them to shoot before, I just assumed it was the bevel base, lube, or some other thing. Well, I was getting low on bullets so last weekend I gave them another try. I tried using neck sized cases and seating out beyond the crimp groove (just enough to close the action) - and it worked! I'm back in business! The portion just in front of the crimp groove only measures .371 - I should have checked this out the first time. Forgot to measure the group but it looks like roughly one inch at 100 yards?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/38-55withOregonTrail240grRNFP.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/OregonTrail240gr100yards.jpg

Bullet: Oregon Trail 240 gr. FN (.380)
Powder: 20.0 grs. IMR 4198
Primer: CCI-BR2
Case: Starline 2.125 (.378 inside neck diameter)
LOAL: 2.700

Buckshot
10-22-2012, 02:53 AM
.............That Oregon Trail slug looks suspiciously like the Lee boolit :-)

............Buckshot

rbertalotto
10-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Loving this thread on 38-55. I recently got a Lyman Mini Sharps and a Winchester (Japan) 94 in this cartridge.

I'm finding 9g of Unique is fantastic! Both guns like the LEE 250g bullet with SPG lube. Both shooting .380 bullets. Anything smaller might tumble in the Lyman which has a larger bore than the Winchester.

A Pedersoli 38-55 in on my "to do" list

doctorggg
10-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Loving this thread on 38-55. I recently got a Lyman Mini Sharps and a Winchester (Japan) 94 in this cartridge.

I'm finding 9g of Unique is fantastic! Both guns like the LEE 250g bullet with SPG lube. Both shooting .380 bullets. Anything smaller might tumble in the Lyman which has a larger bore than the Winchester.

A Pedersoli 38-55 in on my "to do" list

Roy,

Are you using any fillers with the 9 grains of Unique?

Thanks,
Gregory

rbertalotto
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
No Fillers.............My understanding is that unless you really know what you are doing, you should not use fillers in large volume, smokeless powder cases. A "Ringed" chamber could result.

I keep hearing about UNIQUE in many straight walled rifle cases and I just had to try it. So far in 38-55 and 45-70 have been fantastic. The most accurate smokeless loads I've ever shot out of both the cartridges.

doctorggg
10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
No Fillers.............My understanding is that unless you really know what you are doing, you should not use fillers in large volume, smokeless powder cases. A "Ringed" chamber could result.

I keep hearing about UNIQUE in many straight walled rifle cases and I just had to try it. So far in 38-55 and 45-70 have been fantastic. The most accurate smokeless loads I've ever shot out of both the cartridges.

Thank you for the info. 9 grains just seems like a very small amount of powder in such a large case. I am just beginning my search for "The Load" in my Win 1885 Highwall (Japan.) Gregory

John Boy
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
First Range Test - the 38-55 Ideal 375166 (http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13911)

Buckshot
10-23-2012, 12:38 AM
...........I have a thread on Leverguns: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=166527 with my M93 Marlin, 10.0grs of Unique and the Lee 379-250 F boolit.

................Buckshot

pbcaster45
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
.............That Oregon Trail slug looks suspiciously like the Lee boolit :-)

............Buckshot

I noticed that too, if only I could get those Oregon Trails for the original price ($44 seven years ago) - inflation! Next step is to try some IMR-4227...

pbcaster45
10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought I'd posted this before but the big accuracy improver for me (besides the sights) was using a Meacham Neck Sizer Die with a .391 bushing (for Starline brass). The Lyman Neck Sizer works well with the thicker Winchester case but not the thinner ones from Starline.

Meacham Die with a Buffalo Arms Mold (JIM379275) for the 38-55

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/ReloadingStuffforthe38-55.jpg

Hank10
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I see the same thing on the SASS forum as here, folks trying to shoot fat bullets
.380+ and having problems. I have four 38-55s, a Win 1894 from 1897 another from 1972, a Browing/Miroku Hi Wall and a H&R. Maybe I was just lucky but I got some Win cases from Midway, I had an old mould 375296, 276 gr, fpgc, sized .279put in 25 grs. 2015, lubed with alox/beeswax 50/50 and accuracy has been wonderful in all 4 guns. That was my 1st load and I've never changed it I've won just about every long range (300 to 600 yds.) match I've shot the lever and the Hi wall in. I've now changed the mould to 375449, same bullet but casts a little smaller, available from Lyman, the old 296 is discontinued. They are so close i didn't change a thing but the bullet, shoots in the same group. Bought 2 double cavity 375449s that I now use. For 600 yds. I up the charge to 29 grs with my peep maxed out. I've slugged a lot of barrels but have never slugged any of these 38-55s just this one load and they all shot so good nothing else was required. Just saying, it may be simpler than you think. Hank10

rbertalotto
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks Hank...Gonna have to try 2015. Got some around here from my benchrest days