PDA

View Full Version : .30 carbine

reloader62
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Anyone ever have trouble with a Lee Zip trim for .30 carbine ? after sizing I have to 'flare' the case to get 'most' of them to go full depth to meet up with the cutter,they get stuck very easy,with a spot of lube too.:-?

AZ-Stew
08-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey, there, Hoosier!

I could be wrong, but I believe the Lee trimmers were intended to be used with other Lee tools (i.e., the Lee Loader), with which the first thing you'd do in the reloading process is knock out all the primers with their punch tool, leaving you with a bunch of un-sized, but de-primed cases. Since the cases aren't yet sized after depriming, the trimmer stud would easily fit inside.

You can either go that route (a reall PITA), or you can chuck your trimmer stud in an electric drill, threaded end out, and take some abrasive paper to the outside of it while you spin it in the drill (don't sand the threads). You'll only have to take off a few thousandths, which should go pretty quickly using 280 - 400 grit wet/dry paper. After reducing the diameter of the trimmer stud you should be able to use it with sized cases. I seem to remember doing this many years ago when I started handloading.

Let me know how it works out.

Regards,

Stew