PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NM

skratch
04-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Howdy, I'm a long time lurker, finally got around to registering. I'm a cannon shooter and just thought I'd post a link to my cannon build. It's a lot of fun. :smile:
Thanks, John,,,,,

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1343250903/0#0

Nobade
04-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Howdy Neighbor!

Nice work you have done with that cannon. Those posts were nearly a year ago, made any more progress with it? Are there any other cannon shooters down your way? A shooting match would be something to see!

-Nobade

skratch
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I finished the build about that time. Took it out shortly after and fired it several times with different loads. Lots of fun. There's one cannon shooter in Alb. another in Socorro. That's all I know of. I was going to get together with the guy in Alb. for a shoot but health problems prevented it at that time. Maybe someday I hope.

nekshot
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Welcome aboard, Wow you really use big balls , are they pure lead?

skratch
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome nekshot! Yes, they are pure lead, also I made a mold to cast cement cylinders. I make a shell with aluminum foil that contains the powder and projectile. They shoot great and make a large cloud of dust when they hit. :)

What part of S/W MO do you live? I lived in McDonald Co., extreme S/W corner until moving to NM about 9 yrs ago.It was a little community called Powell on the convergence of Big Sugar and Mike's creeks.

nekshot
04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
christian county, were taxes are unchristian, not complaining too bad as I am a transplant from Pa.

skratch
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Fire and smoke !

Fly
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I love it!But that's alot of lead to waste.Back in the day they used cast iron.
The cement is a neat idea.Got to love BP!
Fly

skratch
04-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello Fly, when we shoot the lead balls most go into a hill side or berm, then we retrieve the balls when possible and even pick up a lot of boolit lead. All go in the melt pot, casting a 1&15/16 " ball is a lot different than rifle boolits. I have a mold that was designed for cannonball type fishing weights, getting the metal and mold temp is a challenge! The balls weigh about 24 oz, cement maybe half that.

The problem is finding BP is getting hard to do. Each firing is 600 to 800 grs depending on the projectile, which is actually a mild load. Worth it though! ;) :-)

Bullet Caster
04-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the best danged site on the internet. I like big guns too although I've never built one. Nice job. Have fun and be safe. BC

smokemjoe
04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Nice looking cannon, You have spend many hours on it, I have a bowling ball mortar, and a beer can mortar, Have you got a long range there where I could shoot it, 1,000 yard +, Thanks- Joe

skratch
04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Joe, there are several places on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas to shoot 1000+ yds. The above photo was taken on BLM about 6 miles from our home. If you ever come out our way bring them and we'll have a shoot.

I'm thinking about a bowling ball mortar for my next project.

John,,,

Fly
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Hello Fly, when we shoot the lead balls most go into a hill side or berm, then we retrieve the balls when possible and even pick up a lot of boolit lead. All go in the melt pot, casting a 1&15/16 " ball is a lot different than rifle boolits. I have a mold that was designed for cannonball type fishing weights, getting the metal and mold temp is a challenge! The balls weigh about 24 oz, cement maybe half that.

The problem is finding BP is getting hard to do. Each firing is 600 to 800 grs depending on the projectile, which is actually a mild load. Worth it though! ;) :-)

skratch make your own batch, of powder my friend.We have a great bunch of info at the top of this form on how to do it in a safe way.Any help
PM me.Averege cost for home made is less than $3 a Ib.
Fly

skratch
04-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Fly, I'll check it out :smile:

John,,,,