PDA

View Full Version : New NOE mold on the way, now for some more help.

44 mag nut
04-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Okay, I ordered the NOE 40 cal 200/180 gr HP mold. Having never cast with a HP mold before, does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks to casting with it? I have only cast with straight COWW with the pot temp running around 725 degrees. Should I add tin to the mix or keep it simple with the straight COWW? If I need to add tin what is a good sours of tin?

Blammer
04-07-2013, 03:22 PM
try with what you have, make sure you follow the NOE directions for the mould, and get the mould HOT before you pour your first one.

FN in MT
04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
44mag nut,

I am FAR from an expert here....but CAN pass on a few tips with the NOE molds as I recently bought my first.

DO follow the instruction sheet. I gave my mold a few heating cycles and it then started to cast as well as release the slugs from the mold a lot easier.

This aftn was my 3rd or 4th casting session and in three hours I did about 1K of slugs. I don't think I had TEN bad ones. My only issue was slightly rounded bottoms on those rejects.

I use a hotplate set on medium to warm my mold blocks while my electric pot is heating up. Today was an absolute first for me. The first fill of the mold produced acceptable bullets. No further pours reqd and I was casting perfect slugs.

NOE molds are apparently up there with the very best. You Sir are in for a treat.

44 mag nut
04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I found this on YouTube, The pins for the HP had me wondering how easy this would work. I have not had a mold drop this easy before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXtwOqc1NY

emorris
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I got the same mold a few weeks ago. I cleaned it really good, smoked the pins and cavities, got it up to tempeture and started casting. The nose was not filling out real well until the pins got even hotter. I used stick on weights and it could have used a little tin to help fill out.

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
stick on weight's and some tin will make boolits that expand.
clip on ww's won't do near as well in the expansion department.

Blammer
04-09-2013, 09:20 PM
that is a MIHEC mould the NOE mould work differently than that video, but works just as well.

NSP64
04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
44 MAG NUT have you got your mold yet? I was looking at this mold also. What are you shootin it out of?

44 mag nut
04-10-2013, 12:49 AM
No, I have not received it yet. I'm hoping it will be here in the next day or so. I'll be using It for my XDM. I'll post here when I receive it. Now to find a Saeco die for it. Then off to the shop to open it up, as Saeco only has one die for it.