PDA

View Full Version : Help lee slug mold

hatcreek
04-07-2013, 08:56 AM
666516665066649While casting 1oz slugs last night, the key way pin broke off the mold, is there anyway to fix this or am I SOL? You folks have always been very helpful in the past, I hope someone has a magic bullet fix for this, thanks in advanced. HC

pipehand
04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
You could try to re-rivet it, but personally, I'd give Lee a call and see if they could ship a complete part with the bottom plate. Good luck.

SuperBlazingSabots
04-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello Brother HatCreek, remember you helped me when I needed help.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Hollowbasepinscopy.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeDriveKeymodificationcopy.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeDriveKeycopy.jpg
Now its my time for a pay back, Brother!
There will soon be one in your mail box!

It's a pleasure to be part of this Great Slug Shooter's Family!

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

longbow
04-07-2013, 10:44 AM
If you have a lathe or access to a lathe, it would be easy to face off the nub then drill and tap for a screw.

Looks like the mould has a few miles on it but Lee might replace the part or fix it for you. It's worth a try.

I am planning on doing what Ajay suggests and that is to order a few core pins and modify them to check out performance differences.

Longbow

hatcreek
04-07-2013, 01:40 PM
You rock AJ, thanks a million.

hatcreek
04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks pipehand, I did contact Lee waiting on a reply. HC

SuperBlazingSabots
04-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Hello HatCreek, I just checked from my favorite store MidSouth Shooter's for a Lee Drive Key slug mold but sadly they were out of stock on most Lee molds, and the same goes for MidWay, all out of stock and the funny thing is E Bay is selling some of them for as much as $40 to 45, what a rip off!

Here's what's funny even Lee Precision is out of stock on the mold, its like you go to a restaurant with your family for dinner and they are out of food!

How can that be, shooter's are buying any thing and every thing pertaining to gun's.

I'll see if I can find the extra pin's that I know I had or else I'll have the pin shipped from Lee to you first thing Monday!

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

jmort
04-07-2013, 03:21 PM
"Here's what's funny even Lee Precision is out of stock on the mold, its like you go to a restaurant with your family for dinner and they are out of food!"

Lee Precision rightly sends them all to distributors first. Once they get back in stock, we will once again be amazed at what $20 will get you. Incredible value.

dverna
04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
"Here's what's funny even Lee Precision is out of stock on the mold, its like you go to a restaurant with your family for dinner and they are out of food!"

Lee Precision rightly sends them all to distributors first. Once they get back in stock, we will once again be amazed at what $20 will get you. Incredible value.

Very true. I have a lathe and thought about trying to produce my own mold as this is lowest "tech" mold (except maybe buckshot) that someone could tackle at home. At $30 shipped is makes no economic sense to do it, I may still give it a try just to get the experience.

turbo1889
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
No fancy tools needed to fix that, just take a drill bit and drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the aluminum base plug where the aluminum rivet is located and then take a good thick strong screw and install it in the bottom where the rivet used to be to hold the base pin in place on the little metal bracket thing underneath the mold.

I've fixed the Lee slug molds literally nearly a dozen times that way. Usually only takes a few thousand casts from the Lee slug mold for that hinkey aluminum squash rivet assembly they use to break like that. You just drill a hole and install a screw instead and it will last until you wear out the alignment waffle grooves on the mold bad enough that its time to toss it and get a replacement.

hatcreek
04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks AJ you really don't have to go through all the trouble, I'll figure out something. It is scary trying to find reloading supplies, just recently I started to cast and reload .357 mag, I have the powder, brass but could not find primers, to my surprise when renewing my membership at our sportsman's club they now sell powder, primers, and ammo, I asked the guy at the counter when they started selling the above and his response was "well you can't buy it anywhere else", I went back to my truck to retrieve my check book.. HAPPY DAY'S ARE BACK AGAIN. Thanks HC

hatcreek
04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks turbo i'll keep it in mind if push comes to shove. Hc

ReloaderLarry
04-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Mine broke ages ago.

If you have a rivet gun, this is a very easy fix.

That screw method sounds handy, just make sure you dont use too deep a screw !