PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on lever values

charger 1
04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
I picked up a VERY VERY mint browning lever 308. Not a mark. First year prod. Never been scoped or holes for slings. Just frikin belgian made mint. A fella wants to trade me the last of the years savage 99's were any good (1960) in the same shape and same cal. I don't think even steven should be where I want to be is it? Both gus are mint I'll give em that, but to me the difference is between first year belgian prod and last year chicopee

pietro
04-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Depending upon WHICH model of Savage Model 99 it is, and the chambering, it may or may not be an even trade - not enough information on the Savage to say.

charger 1
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Depending upon WHICH model of Savage Model 99 it is, and the chambering, it may or may not be an even trade - not enough information on the Savage to say.

This is all I can get from him. Not that I would understand more anyhoo
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
"This early 1960 99F was the last year made in Chicopee, and the first year with the tang safety and gold trigger.
It has the brass rotary magazine with the cartridge counter and the same american walnut wood with hand cut checkering as the earlier 99's.
The one your talking about was the 99E with the cheap light coloured fruit wood and impressed checkering."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I'll say one thing I just got done cycling that BLR w/out lowering it, and I doubt very much the 99 was made anywhere near as smooth

starmac
04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I am not sure about the 60 model savage, but I prefer the older 99's over the brownings myself.
I'm not at all sure of the values though.

OverMax
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I wonder why your friend is willing to trade a used collectable Savage for a nearly new Browning? If it were me in your situation. I'd keep the Browning and see if your friend will up the ante on his end (substantially) Then I'd consider a trade. (Keep in mind your rifle is in near new condition. His is 50 years old at least? and in good shape for its age according to you)__ I doubt your friends Savage is 308 cal. More likely a 300 Sav cal. which is less powerful when comparing the two cartridges. (308 verses 300 Savage.) Anyhow that's my advice. Good luck with your dilemma Sir.

MT Gianni
04-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Mags for the pre 81 BLR are hard to find. I like to carry an elk load in one and a deer load in another as our seasons overlap as does their territory. I am biased but there would have to be some boot along with the Savage.

rintinglen
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
A Savage .308 M99 for a Browning BLR .308 pre-81 BLR?

I'm seeing a gap there, though not a huge one, assuming identical condition. I believe the Savage might go for around 650-750 with the Browning going for perhaps a C note more. However, there seem to me to be more Savage fans than BLR fans, and I think the Savage might go quicker. I prefer the Savages, but I don't think I'd do this trade straight up.

Shuz
04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
The BLR in .358 Win that I got at this past weekend's gun show in Spokane is my first BLR. Is there an easy way to determine how old it is? What is the twist rate? I would appreciate comments on what this gun might be worth. I'd say it is in NRA 95% or better condition. Thanks--Shuz