PDA

View Full Version : Another gun show report

Olevern
04-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Small gun show today at a nearby community fire hall. First time I have been out (driving myself) since surgery two weeks ago.

On some pretty heavy-duty pain meds and not supposed to drive on them, so laid off the pain meds at 5 a.m. , then left to pick up a boy I mentor (Zack) at 11:00 a.m. and headed to the show.

I planned to arrive late so as to avoid the crowded isles usually encountered at/after opening. I didn't want to risk someone bumping into my recently repaired shoulder.

Only five dollars to get in and no charge for Zack. Also no charge for parking. So far, so good.

I took two guns with me to sell or use for trading material, a H&R classic carbine in 45 Long Colt (with a Redfield 1 3/4 - 5X scope) and a Taurus model 63 semi-auto .22 rifle. I had Zack carry one and I carried the other. I had prepared price signs on wooden dowels with $400.00 on the handi rifle and $325.00 on the semi-auto .22.

As you might perceive, I priced more for the show-goers (end users), not allowing much "meat on the bone" for a dealer to buy and resell. While these guns were (and are) excess to my needs, I had no immediate need to sell them. I was prepared to separate the Redfield scope from the H&R.

We entered the show and started to walk around, and I had to slow Zack down several times so I could look at the items on the tables. Zack was focused on bb and pellet guns.

Prices were high on most components and ammo, although AR's had come down from $2000+ of last month to a still high average of $1200+.

$35.00 a box of 9mm Remington ball. Junk .223's at a buck a round. Powder not too bad, normal prices for what was available, but not a great selection. Inasmuch as I just purchased a 7mm-08 rifle, I was looking for new or used brass or several boxes of factory ammo to get started with it. Found a baggie of 33 pcs of used brass on one table for $35.00, Really? passed.

On another table, not a dealer from the look of the eclectic assortment on the table, I found two unmarked, older, faded boxes of Nozler 7mm 140 grain partitions, asked price and was told $34.00 a box. Moved on without comment.

Laughed to myself at a $35.00 price on an old, used Lee round ball mold (this guy must sell on e-bay).

Found some factory Rem. 7 mm-08 ammo on a table in ratty old boxes for $34.00 a box (no thanks)

Had many express interest in the rifles I took, but no one anteed up my asking price, so chose to take them home with me.

Looked long and hard at a nice Ruger #1 in 7mm Mauser priced at $750.00 . Couldn't get him to come down a penny and, while he was willing to take the H&R in trade, he only offered $100.00 for it. He'd have been better off telling me he didn't have any interest in my trading mat'l than trying to steal one from me. Actually, I might have bought his Ruger at his asking price if he hadn't offered a hundred bucks for my gun.

Well, Zack getting tired and bored, so left and took him out for a late lunch, washed the van for my wife at the car wash, then took Zack home and watched him play 'minecraft' for awhile, then home to take some much-needed pain medication and take a nap.

Good to get out of the house, even if I had to put up with some pain to do it. And good to spend some time with Zack after several weeks holed up nursing my shoulder.

Lead Fred
04-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Quit going about a year ago. Nothing left but overpriced stuff that no one had bought when it was cheap.

TJF1
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Went to the big show in tulsa ok . Today the line was over a block
long at 9 oclock. Got in side and it was bad you could not get
up to the tables for the crowd. Primers any where from 40$ to 90$
a thousend powder was not bad about norm. People were
carring it out by 5 or 6 cases at a time 22 shells any where
from 20$ to 25$ a box to as high as 200$ a brick for 22lr
22 shorts 10$ to 20$ a box of 100.
I ended up buying a pound of longshot 20$ that was it terry