PDA

View Full Version : Sears "J.C. Higgins" Mauser

richhodg66
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I know Sears at one time had sold sporterized Mausers, this one doesn't seem to be a military, no cut out to allow the use of stripper clips, otherwise appears to be a '98 Mauser (also has better bottom metal than a military).

I found one that seems decent in .270 and I'm looking for a donor to mount a barrel on that came from an Interarms Mark X. I believe these both to be essentially '98 Mausers and think this barrel should fit. Am I correct?

The rifle is plain, but decent looking and has a cheap scope mounted. The shop's asking price is $400, which seems a tad high to me. Are they out of line?

Uncle Grinch
04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
You probably have a Sears FN Mauser. Check it out for "Made in Belgium" stamping. They made a plain model and a fancy version, Don't have my book handy, but I'm thinking Model 50 and they are stue Mausers.

richhodg66
04-06-2013, 09:40 PM
This one says FN Belgium on it somewhere. Bolt handle is obviously commercial too. The stock is plain, no checkering.

If I can make it back there this week, I'm gonna try to talk him off that price a bit. I have a .35 Whelen Improved barrel and dies I got, need a rifle to put it on. Had a .270 mauser sporter already, but gave it to #1 son who's in the service and needed a few guns. This one looks to be a better candidate for this anyway.

Will After market triggers like Timney's for '98 Mausers work with this one?

HangFireW8
04-06-2013, 10:11 PM
This one says FN Belgium on it somewhere. Bolt handle is obviously commercial too.

I have some experience with these... while they are very high quality, FN's idea of bore diameters back then were a little bizarre. My 30'06 has a PERFECT .310"/.300 bore. I've heard .270's being even more overbore, like they were using worn 7mm cutters or something.

Many jacketed bullet shooters never know why they don't get fine accuracy, because slugging bores is not a common debugging step outside the cast world.

HF

richhodg66
04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Good information, but not a poblem as I want to put a differeent barrel on it. I'd never owned a .270 til recently, then promptly gave it away because the boy needed a rifle and I wasn't attached to that one (I'll give him some better stuff when I know he's in a little more secure situation).

This seems like a good basis for what I want. It has a fairly low swing safety, but I'd liek at some point to install a Model 70 type or something to it if I go through with the purchase.

M-Tecs
04-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I have a Sears "J.C. Higgins" FN Mauser model 50. It has a chromed bore and it is better than an AMO gun. Standard after market triggers will work. The trigger is a weak point. The trigger is hinged/pinned to the trigger guard with a long projection from the sear coming down to meet it. The trigger is not attached to the action.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/j_c_higgins_50.htm

M-Tecs
04-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Manual for download here http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_50.pdf

richhodg66
04-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Good stuff, thanks. I think I'm gonna make a trip back there and buy this one for my Whelen improved project.

Utah Shotgunner
04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I have a Sears "J.C. Higgins" FN Mauser model 50. It has a chromed bore and it is better than an AMO gun. Standard after market triggers will work. The trigger is a weak point. The trigger is hinged/pinned to the trigger guard with a long projection from the sear coming down to meet it. The trigger is not attached to the action.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/j_c_higgins_50.htm

I have some experience with these... while they are very high quality, FN's idea of bore diameters back then were a little bizarre. My 30'06 has a PERFECT .310"/.300 bore. I've heard .270's being even more overbore, like they were using worn 7mm cutters or something.

Many jacketed bullet shooters never know why they don't get fine accuracy, because slugging bores is not a common debugging step outside the cast world.

HF

These two need to be combined.

The barrels made by FN as mentioned by Hangfire are NOT the same barrels as mentioned by M-Tecs.

The barrels on the J.C. Higgins/Sears rifles were NOT made by FN. The actions were imported and barreled by High Standard. These barrels are known to be VERY accurate and very much within specification. Why they were chrome lined, I can not remember at the moment.

The FN FACTORY barrels in 30-06 were typically on what is known as the '1952 Model' and will be stamped as such. I have never heard of the bore diameter problems as mentioned, but anything is possible.

What is important is to know if you have a JC Higgins or an FN factory barreled action. The Higgins/High Standard barrels are sought after and retain some value.

EDIT: Just before submitting, I thought of something. Almost didn't mention it as it is tangental and may just confuse.
Many, many Argentine Mausers were imported into this country by Century Arms. Originally chambered in a 7.65x53, Century has trouble selling them. So they rechambered them to 7.62x63, known here in the USA as the 30-06. Perfectly safe, but accuracy suffered due to the oversize bore.

PS Thank "Google Alerts" as one of my standing searches brought me here. I like those JC Higgins Mausers and comb the net for them.

W.R.Buchanan
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I'd leave the metal in tact and maybe do something with the stock. Those guns are highly sought after and were a definate cut above in quality.

Besides you can probably get a lot more use out of a .30-06 than a .35 Whelan Imp. ? Just think about it .

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.
Randy

HangFireW8
04-08-2013, 10:28 PM
These two need to be combined.

The barrels made by FN as mentioned by Hangfire are NOT the same barrels as mentioned by M-Tecs.

The barrels on the J.C. Higgins/Sears rifles were NOT made by FN. The actions were imported and barreled by High Standard. These barrels are known to be VERY accurate and very much within specification. Why they were chrome lined, I can not remember at the moment.

High Standard made very good barrels indeed back then. If I had a rifle with a HS barrel in good condition, I would very much leave it alone (except to shoot it a lot!)

HF

atr
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
I had one model 50 in 30-06,,,,FN action, plain stock etc. It really was an accurate rifle and I only sold it to help pay for college. I put alot of rounds throught that rifle. I do remember replacing the trigger with a Timney and with the 4x weaver scope on it there wasn't anything I couldn't hit.
$400 may be a bit much....maybe
I agree with HangFire....I too would leave it alone if the the barrel was not shot out
good luck

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi-Standard Barrels on 03A3's were also the preferred barrels, and they are recognized by having 4 grooves as opposed to the usual two grooves on Remington barrels.

Randy

richhodg66
04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
I haven't been able to get back to that shop during business hours. I'm really looking for a donor Mauser and don'thave much desire for a .270 (don't need another caliber to load for). The same shop had a '99 Savage I'm kind of interested in, maybe I can make some kind of package trade deal.

HangFireW8
04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Manual for download here http://www.gunknowledge.com/Documents/JC%20Higgins/JCHiggins%2050%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Sorry, that link isn't working for me. Even substituting %20 for space, the real problem is there is no real web site at that URL, just a generic search page.

M-Tecs
04-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Worked the other day but no more. Edited to this http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_50.pdf

one more site http://www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/I-J.html

Ben
04-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Yes, the trigger on the Sears Mod 50 certainly left a lot to be desired. Considering the manufacturing capabilities of the FN plant in Belgium, I've always wondered why they put that junk trigger on that rifle ?

It will most likely have to GO.

Ben

fouronesix
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Here's a close cousin to the one you are looking at. FN at about the same time, also put together their own version in-house. I think they called it a "Deluxe Sporter" or something like that. Also, this one happens to be in 270. It was one of my better gunshow "impulse" purchases of the last few years. It was easy to install an aftermarket trigger. The only possibility I can think of would be a little wood removal for certain triggers?? Mine's a superb shooter of Jbullets. I'd certainly think twice before passing up the one you're considering. If you get it, shoot it first to see how it acts, only then, if not so good, consider it a donor for the 35 AI.

Added a pic of an easy to install and not very expensive fully adjustable aftermarket Bold trigger.

richhodg66
04-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Well, I picked it up. Should be able to get it to a range next weekend and I have a couple of kinds of factory ammo from the previously mentioned Mauser sporter I sent my son. Got a decent deal too as I made a package deal for it and another rifle he had I actually wanted more.

If this one shows itself to be a real shooter, I'll swap it with #1 son for the sporterized one to use for my .35 Whelen Improved project. I must admit, it's an appealing rifle. Lately, I have become more appreciative of older guns with more attention to quality. I'd much rather have one of these than a Savage Axis, Remington 770 or one of the other bottom rung new rifles.

fouronesix
04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Isn't that the truth and glad you were able to get it. Even if it doesn't shoot as is, it will be an excellent platform for something else. I just shake my head when looking at some of the current manufacturing then compare it to what was done not long ago.

richhodg66
04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I bought a nicely sporterized Mauser in .30-06 a while back. Didn't need it, but it was too good to pass up at $350 (the Leupold scope and mounts were worth more than half that), good after market trigger installed, commercial after market barrel, about the only thing I'd improve is to put a Model 70 safety on it, but it has a good low swing type on it. I just can't believe guys would buy the plastic fantastics that are selling when there are used steel and wood rifles out there for about the same price if you look around.

I haven't worked with that rifle much yet, and I hate to rebarrel an '06, but that one could become this project if it doesn't shoot well enough to suit me.

richhodg66
04-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Well, I got the JC Higgins Mauser to the range with a few rounds of Winchester factory 140 grain loads. After a couple of groups to zero it, niether one of which impressed me, I shot a three shot group for record. I called the third shot as a flyer on my part before I ever looked through the spotting scope and it clearly was a flyer that brough the group size to about three quarters of an inch at 100 yards.

I think I'll rebarrel a different Mauser and leave this one alone to give to #1 son. That likely won't happen very soon, if this one is still around during deer season, I'm pretty sure it'll find its way onto a tree stand with me at least once.

The trigger on this rifle is great! Clearly not the two stage type most Mausers have. I'm liking this rifle. With some quality glass and good handloads, there's no telling what it's capable of.

fouronesix
04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
That makes me feel better anyway since I was one of those saying grab it! :)

It is good to hear that it shoots well, aside from any of the recommendations. Even if it didn't, it would have been an excellent platform for a nice rifle.

About 8-10 months ago I saw a Rem 721- 30-06 barreled action with all metal sitting in a local pawn shop. Bore looked OK and nothing seemed amiss. Hmmm?- I've had a factory 721 stock sitting in my storage for about 20 years. Well- I need another 30-06 bolt gun like I need an extra hole in my head. Since then I'd thought about it once in a while. Then about 3 weeks ago, in a moment of weakness!, I stopped back by the shop not expecting to see it. It was still there, so on impulse I made a reasonable offer well under the tag price. Sold! Great now what? Brought it home and it fit the stock like a glove. Spent almost 2 days cleaning copper and carbon fouling out of the bore. Had an older Weaver K4 with mounts sitting in the drawer- seemed a perfect match for the era of the rifle. Finally, it was nice and calm this morning. Put together 5 test rounds of 4895 and 150 gr Jbullets. Yep, just like yours, practically a one hole group! And, it's nice to get lucky and stumble into one that wants to shoot without a lot of piddling around.

Maybe more important than even the accuracy- when comparing some of the mass produced junk (uhhh rifles) today with even a run-of-the-mill Rem 721 (poor man's Win M70) from the 1950s- the difference is hard to ignore. And, those commercial Mausers from about that time are even better!

Target today. 5 shots, 50 yards. #1 shot out of cold clean barrel, the remaining 4 into the group shown. Will probably try some 314299 cast loads if I get a chance between other "projects".

richhodg66
04-22-2013, 08:03 PM
I worked with a 722 I got for my brother while he was overseas in .300 Savage for about a year. Personally, I like that series of rifles better than the 700s. I'd have most likely jumped on that 721 given a similar situation, though I'm really a Model 70 Winchester fan more than a Remington fan.

I may end up haning onto this one and just buying a box or two of factory ammo now and then for it. Pretty good hunting rifle and sometimes it's good to have one around you don't mess with much but you can pull out and use anytime.