PDA

View Full Version : Visitors coming.

frkelly74
04-06-2013, 05:29 PM
We are having our daughter and her husband and her 5 kids come to live with us until they can get their house sold. The neighborhood where they live is getting to be inner city. It is not far gone enough so that the City doesn't bother and harass homeowners with fees and stupid little rules but there have been shootings in their neighborhood. And the kids can't ride their bikes outside without someone wanting to "Borrow" it. So we have been working on both our house and theirs to get it ready to show and so that they can be comfortable with us. We had installed a pretty nice in-law apartment above the garage years ago and we have re done that one for us to sleep in and they will have our master suit and their kids will bunk in the bedrooms in the basement. We also have three adopted kids still at home and they will be in the other bedrooms on the main floor. It will be tight but should work alright. I have installed one new bath tub in the upstairs apartment and one new toilet ( which I must say is a thing of beauty function wise. It replaced an old silent flush job from the late 60's and is in there just a saving water as I write, And it doesn't seem to plug up, Yay!!!)
Now the house is 5 bedroom and 4 bath with a big Kitchen. 12 people will share the space. Should be interesting.

runfiverun
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
that whole 4 bathroom thing will be your saving grace.
we have 5 bedrooms and one [1] bathroom with 6 living here, things get a bit tight in the mornings and evenings sometimes.

Chamfered
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Best of luck frkelly. You should be able to make it, we have 8 kids living in a 1625 sqft ranch. Counting the finished basement though it gives us 3 baths and 6 beds. How lucky we are to have are faimily with us. Blessings to you for your adoptions. Adoptive parents are the most overlooked heros in our country, any one can do it but so few do. Peace.

TXGunNut
04-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Wow, gonna need a truck to haul groceries for a crowd like that! Good luck on getting the house sold and another one bought. In my part of the country the real estate market is making a pretty good comeback and interest rates are low. Good time to be in the market.

41 mag fan
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Better invest in bigger pots and pans to feed a household that size!!

PS Paul
04-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Man, sounds like a challenge, BUT these kind of things CAN help a family become closer, provided everyone works to that end....

I recently "inherited" my daughter's boyfriend who is now living with us. He is 18 and his mother kicked him out because after he graduated high school, he would not look for a job OR go to college. So, I gave him three choices: go to school (I would help), get a job, OR live on the street. He found a job. ha ha!!

Now things are hunky dory!

Good luck, FR!
PSP

MT Gianni
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Daughter, SIL and their two moved in last Sept and out in March. They are in a nice rental adn more stable than things were. Keep it positive and work together.

Bad Water Bill
04-07-2013, 02:57 AM
I remember my mom talking about her childhood in an apartment building.

ELEVEN children plus mom and dad and ONE bathroom.

What did folks do with just a ONE holer OUT BACK?

41 mag fan
04-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Windows....that aint rain you're feeling on your head!!

WILCO
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Man, sounds like a challenge, BUT these kind of things CAN help a family become closer, provided everyone works to that end....

The Waltons:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7_u0kcQRo

blackthorn
04-07-2013, 10:54 AM

The cold or heat (with bugs) made sure there was no newspaper reading AND there was no tub/shower to lollygag in!!