PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore Is doing it again!

gunfan
04-06-2013, 01:33 PM
PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE 32 S&W LONG (32 Colt New Police) 100gr. W.C. (Item 10B)

After countless customer requests for ammunition that will make this cartridge lethal to humans, Buffalo Bore is delivering. There are millions of small revolvers still in circulation chambered for this cartridge and if an ammo company was to make effective self-defense ammo, the little revolvers would have a meaningful purpose for personal defense against humans. Current (as of this writing in 03-2013) factory ammunition offerings include soft pure lead bullets of round nose configuration at very low velocity. Round nosed bullets do little terminal damage as they tend to slip and slide through mammalian tissues and the very low velocities don’t help much either.

In order to make this cartridge meaningful for self defense, we designed hard cast (not soft) bullets that will not deform on impact and will maintain their flat nose profile as they penetrate through muscle and bone and because of their flat nose, they crush (not slip and slide) through mammalian tissues, doing considerable damage along their path. We alloy and lube these bullets properly so they will NOT substantially lead foul any normal barrel. Then we added velocity by using modern powders that will give extra velocity and remain within the SAAMI pressure limits of 15,000 PSI. The result is a fairly lethal cartridge that brings new usefulness to millions of these old pistols. Depending on how much clothing must be penetrated and how much bone is encountered, expect 17 to 23 inches of straight line penetration in mammalian tissue with this load. At 100grs., this bullet is the same weight as other current weak factory offerings, but is going around 200 fps faster than any other commercial load we could find that utilize 100gr. bullets. This particular load, utilizing a full wad cutter profile bullet, is the load I would carry for defense against humans as that big flat nose does considerable terminal damage.

The use of jacketed expanding bullets in this weak cartridge would be a mistake as even if you could get a jacketed bullet to expand at these velocities, doing so would limit penetration significantly enough that the bullet would certainly under-penetrate and as a result would likely not be lethal to humans. Additionally, hard cast bullets create less friction inside the barrel than jacketed bullets and thus we are able to obtain significant velocity gains at lower pressures, than would be possible with jacketed bullets.

This ammunition is safe to use in ANY solid frame revolver that is in ordinary shooting condition. “Solid frame” means any revolver that is not a top break frame. “Ordinary shooting condition”, means ANY revolver that is in condition to fire any modern factory, 32 S&W LONG ammo, without malfunction. Have a competent gun smith check your revolver for “ordinary shooting condition” if you have doubts, as many of these revolvers are very old and some imports were made of questionable quality as manufacturing techniques and materials were not advanced ten or so decades ago. Take your gunsmith a copy of this press release so he will understand the context of your questions.

To add versatility, this ammunition can of course be fired in ANY/ALL revolvers chambered in 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal.

Note that we have continued our practice of using real over-the-counter revolvers to develop our published velocities of this ammunition. The duplicitous practice of using extra-long laboratory barrels to develop published velocities is deceptive to the customer. Real world users of firearms and ammunition need to know how the ammunition is performing in the real world, where it matters. Note our velocities, below.

872 fps ---- S&W model 30 Hand Ejector, 3 inch
835 fps ---- Ruger SP101 327 Federal, 3 inch
935 fps ---- S&W 1st model Hand Ejector, 4 inch
936 fps ---- Ruger Single Six 32 H&R mag., 5.5 inch
895 fps ---- Ruger Black hawk 327 Federal, 5.5 Inch

missionary5155
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Greetings
Just looked the the max loads listed in the 1973 issue of Lymans and these loads are right in there with those listed. Everytime I read these announcements I am reminded how good it was to grow up around reloading and casting.
Mike in Peru

gunfan
04-06-2013, 04:15 PM
And again.

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE 32 S&W LONG (32 Colt New Police) 115gr. LFN (Item 10A)

After countless customer requests for ammunition that will make this cartridge lethal to humans, Buffalo Bore is delivering. There are millions of small revolvers still in circulation chambered for this cartridge and if an ammo company was to make effective self-defense ammo, the little revolvers would have a meaningful purpose for personal defense against humans. Current (as of this writing in 03-2013) factory ammunition offerings include soft pure lead bullets of round nose configuration at very low velocity. Round nosed bullets do little terminal damage as they tend to slip and slide through mammalian tissues and the very low velocities don’t help much either.

In order to make this cartridge meaningful for self defense, we designed hard cast (not soft) bullets that will not deform on impact and will maintain their flat nose profile as they penetrate through muscle and bone and because of their flat nose, they crush (not slip and slide) through mammalian tissues, doing considerable damage along their path. We alloy and lube these bullets properly so they will NOT substantially lead foul any normal barrel. Then we added velocity by using modern powders that will give extra velocity and remain within the SAAMI pressure limits of 15,000 PSI. The result is a fairly lethal cartridge that brings new usefulness to millions of these old pistols. Depending on how much clothing must be penetrated and how much bone is encountered, expect 20 to 30 inches of straight line penetration in mammalian tissue with this load. This bullet is 15grs. heavier than any other commercial load we could find, yet it is going substantially faster than any (about 100 fps faster) commercial load we could find.

The use of jacketed expanding bullets in this weak cartridge would be a mistake as even if you could get a jacketed bullet to expand at these velocities, doing so would limit penetration significantly enough that the bullet would certainly under-penetrate and as a result would likely not be lethal to humans. Additionally, hard cast bullets create less friction inside the barrel than jacketed bullets and thus we are able to obtain significant velocity gains at lower pressures, than would be possible with jacketed bullets.

This ammunition is safe to use in ANY solid frame revolver that is in ordinary shooting condition. “Solid frame” means any revolver that is not a top break frame. “Ordinary shooting condition”, means ANY revolver that is in condition to fire any modern factory, 32 S&W LONG ammo, without malfunction. Have a competent gun smith check your revolver for “ordinary shooting condition” if you have doubts, as many of these revolvers are very old and some imports were made of questionable quality as manufacturing techniques and materials were not advanced ten or so decades ago. Take your gunsmith a copy of this press release so he will understand the context of your questions.

To add versatility, this ammunition can of course be fired in ANY/ALL revolvers chambered in 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal.

Note that we have continued our practice of using real over-the-counter revolvers to develop our published velocities of this ammunition. The duplicitous practice of using extra-long laboratory barrels to develop published velocities is deceptive to the customer. Real world users of firearms and ammunition need to know how the ammunition is performing in the real world, where it matters. Note our velocities, below.

781 fps ---- S&W model 30 Hand Ejector, 3 inch
715 fps ---- Ruger SP101 327 Federal, 3 inch
840 fps ---- S&W 1st model Hand Ejector, 4 inch
821 fps ---- Ruger Single Six 32 H&R mag., 5.5 inch
754 fps ---- Ruger Black hawk 327 Federal, 5.5 Inch

Bwana
04-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Had to look up the loads I use in my H&R 32 Long "trunk monkey" gun. They consist of a 175gr Lee cast rifle boolit (.940" loa) seated to 1.29 loa with a WSP primer in an FC case with 3.5gr of AA7. This produces 670 fps. That is 175 ft lb of energy and a PF of 117.

gunfan
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
We .32 Lovers are a stubborn lot, aren't we? ;) :D

Scott

jmort
04-07-2013, 12:41 AM
I sure do like Buffalo Bore. That should shoot through and through.

gunfan
04-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I sure do like Buffalo Bore. That should shoot through and through.

This should bring to a close the incessant whine: "The .32 Long isn't sufficiently powerful for personal defense." These factory loads will make all the 4" barrel S&W Model 31 and Colt Police/Pocket Positive revolvers "stand up and perform a tap dance" without overstressing their frames. Penetration is what will make these light, handy revolvers, once again, an excellent choice for carry where a heavier handgun might be left on the nightstand.

Kudos, Buffalo Bore!

Scott

45 2.1
04-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Now the non reloaders have what most reloaders have already tried. There is a step up, but not with hard boolits.

gunfan
04-07-2013, 11:48 AM
The nice part of these additions is the hard cast bullets will make certain the damage is permanent. The Wadcutters should definitely make the difference. (Nasty hole-cutters these!) ;)

Scott

45 2.1
04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
The nice part of these additions is the hard cast bullets will make certain the damage is permanent. Scott

I think you need to hunt with these for a full year and shoot everything from coyotes on down to see what they do.............. you might see some things you haven't seen before.

gunfan
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I think you need to hunt with these for a full year and shoot everything from coyotes on down to see what they do.............. you might see some things you haven't seen before.

Back in the day, MANY years ago, the .32 Long wadcutters were well known for their killing properties. As a matter of fact the story of my father killing the Japanese sniper during WWII was done with .32 Long wadcutters. I know how well they work. (Had they not worked, I wouldn't be here!)

Scott

45 2.1
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Scott, the whole point of that statement was to get you to realize that it is "where you put the boolit" that is important. Casters have had those boolits for a very long time. Anyone who shoots the mouseguns should know that for them to be effective, the boolit needs to be placed exactly..... After all the 22 rimfire has killed almost every animal in the world, but it is hardly suitable for any of them. Lets hope you can do as well as your father in his ability to make use of a small caliber.

TheGrimReaper
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
I love Buffalo Bore. I admire them for pushing the envelope.

gunfan
04-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I have been shooting the .32 caliber revolvers for a number of a years. I have long appreciated how efficient a well-placed bullet of this caliber can be when it finds it's mark. Raising the "performance bar" for the .32 Long, Magnum and .327 Fed. Mag. is great The more performance that can be garnered by judicious loading, the better. The .32 Long is going to become a more efficient cartridge because of it.

Scott

FergusonTO35
04-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Wish somebody would make a six shot .32 revolver again.

gunfan
04-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Wish somebody would make a six shot .32 revolver again.

If you contact Bowen Classic Arms, they'll build one for you, using a Model 17 (or 617) barrel (cutting it to .32 caliber) from S&W and spin it on a "K" frame, then index a 6-shot .32 caliber cylinder to it.

VOILA! You will have what you want! (Most shooters have it chambered for the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge for added versatility.)

Scott

Smoke4320
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
My wife will love shooting some of these .. An old colt 32 is her favorite

buff51
01-15-2016, 05:50 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to ask you knowledgeable folks if you think these Buffalo Bore loads would be safe in a Colt Pocket Positive (?).

FergusonTO35
01-15-2016, 11:55 PM
According to BB they should be as long as the gun is in good condition.

It is unfortunate that this fine old cartridge is now relegated to the retirement home with other golden oldies. Underpowered and overpriced in factory form, receiving only attention from weirdos like me. I've always thought that a smartly loaded .32 S&W Long would be an outstanding snubnose cartridge.