PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with aluminum GC's vs traditional GC's ?

FN in MT
04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Being unable to find any .35 GC's I purchased some aluminum GC's.

Any issues between the aluminum and the traditional Lyman copper/brass Gas Checks when lubing on a STAR?

uscra112
04-06-2013, 12:49 PM
My only experience with aluminum gas checks is that 90% of the first couple dozen I lubesized in a Lyman 450 came off when I plucked the boolit out of the die. Not pleased at all. I had about 300 of them dry-seated on the shanks, to be crimped in the sizing operation. Peeled them all off and replaced with Hornadys, which worked just fine.

I have seen Hornady .35 gas checks on Gunbroker very recently. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334896176

FN in MT
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks 112. I'll have to keep an eye out for normal , old Hornady GC's I guess. Then again...the aluminum's may work...we shall see.

captain-03
04-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Had the same experience with aluminum on some 30cals ... stayed in the RCBS lube/sizer. Thought about running them through a Lee sizer die first, then through the lube/sizer. Have not got around to that since I have a few boxes of Hornady ...

waksupi
04-06-2013, 03:06 PM
If the aluminum ones are coming off,they are telling you the metal they were formed from is too thin.

357maximum
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
If you contact Larry Blackmon @ (cell) (318) 372-1634 or (home) (318) 387-3266 He will gladly take your CC# and send you all the 35Cal GatorChecks @ $20 per hundred that you wish to buy. Any orders 5K and over come with FREE shipping. Larry (Doc Gator) is a great guy to deal with too....not affilliated with him, just a very happy user of his products. He is officially retired from the eye doctor gig now so you no longer call his secretary...you call him direct.

sthwestvictoria
04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I was gifted some sageoutdoors aluminium GC in .30
These certainly stay on my Lee 309-150-FP and 309-170-FP boolits, they stay on while seating and loading and firing - I have a boolit trap and pull the GC out of it with the recovered alloy. Accuracy is good, 1 1/8 groups at 50metres with aperture sights are my best groups so far.
There is another thread about this which raises some concerns about aluminium oxide being an abrasive compared to copper, I don't know the answer to this.

uscra112
04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
If the aluminum ones are coming off,they are telling you the metal they were formed from is too thin.

I think what it's saying is that these aluminum checks lacked the little turned-in burr on the inside of the cup that the Hornady checks advertise about. That was a fault of the original Lyman checks. too.

Only case I can think of where a process engineer would deliberately design his punch and die sets to be dull, (so as to leave that burr). I come from the automotive process engineering world, so believe me when I say that it must give him nightmares.