PDA

View Full Version : How do you sell a rifle on a place like gunbroker?

Ohio Rusty
04-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Lets say I have a rifle I'm going to sell on Gunbroker. If you post a rifle to sell, the auction ends and then you have a buyer ....then what ?? Do you just package the gun, take it to a UPS store and ship it to a FFL address the buyer sends to you? How do you know you are shipping to a FFL or dealer ??
Who pays the shipping to the FFL ... you or the buyer ?? Never have done this before so I want to make sure I do it right.
Thanks .........
Ohio Rusty ><>

runfiverun
04-06-2013, 11:35 AM
you have them send a copy of their ffl to you.
they pay the 30.00 whatever shipping.
it's generally ups.
you might could talk to your local shop about them shipping it for you.

uscra112
04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Specifically you must ship it to an FFL. Getting a physical copy of the FFL's Form 8 isn't absolutely necessary, but it help you establish that you did your due diligence. You can look up the FFL's license number on the BATFE web site to verify that what you received is a valid license. I've scanned and emailed the license document, and in one case a seller just asked that I provide the license number so he could verify it on the web site. Just make sure you ship ONLY to the registered place of business for that FFL, as stated either on the Form 8 or better yet on the web site.

I'm understanding that some jurisdictions now require that the shipment emanate FROM an FFL, (Kalifornia). In which case you have to take the gun to an FFL in your state and pay them to ship it. This may now be true for NY, CT, Maryland, and even Colorado, so be wary of those places, what with all this new panic legislation. The NRA site may be of help in researching these new laws.

Long guns can be mailed - Priority Mail. Handguns cannot - you have to ship those UPS.

(Hope I got all the right - I have only bought on GB, never sold one.)

Love Life
04-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I have them mail me their FFL or gun shop's FFL. I then have my gunshop mail it out. My gunshop charges $35 to ship. Makes life easy for me and may work for you as well.

Adam10mm
04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
A lot of FFLs won't send a copy to individuals due to the ATF warning a few years ago. The FFLs will give them their number to check with the ATF's EZ check system and that is all they need.

Bad Water Bill
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
If there is a waiting time for possession BATFE clock starts from the time the firearm leaves the sellers FFL according to a looong discussion at another site which confirmed with BATFE.

However the recipient FFL can still make his OWN rules to CYOA.:bigsmyl2:

Marvin S
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Go to GB and click on selling tutorial. It is really easy and will answer all of your concerns. I say up front buyers FFL must accept from a non FFF or else pay extra for FFL to FFL.

shooter93
04-06-2013, 07:34 PM
We NEVER use UPS to ship firearms anymore. We had way to many damaged ones and it was not from our packing but their Gorillas. Then toss in the huge fight for the insurance claim with some of them having to go to the magistrate before they paid. We always use USPS Priority mail shipped FFL to FFL. Never lost one or had one damaged since. It doesn't have to be a Priority box...rifles don't fit them, lol....any package can be shipped Priority mail pretty much. I list as a 35.00 charge and it rarely goes over that unless it's insured for a very large amount. We have even shipped a double rifle valued at 75,000 through them.

41 mag fan
04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Fed Ex 3rd day air is cheaper than UPS on shipping handguns. From what I understand all handguns have to be shipped air freight, but I might be wrong on that too.

Adam10mm
04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
They have to be shipped overnight. FedEx will allow FFLs to ship 2nd day air.

Monttexan
04-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Regarding the previous 2 posts and shipping firearms via FedEx. I worked for FedEx for 10+ years. I quit in April of '06 and things MIGHT have changed since then. The entire time I worked for FedEx all firearms had to be shipped Priority Overnight. They want to get them in and out of the system. You could ship 2 day, or Express Saver (3 day) to save money, but IF the package goes missing they would not pay any claim because you would have bypassed the Priority Overnight shipping requirement. The odds of FedEx losing a package are very low.....the tracking system really is very good, but ...stuff happens. I still have friends "on the inside" so if anyone wants to verify if the rule is still Priority Overnight for firearms shipments I can do it easily with a phone call and then post here.

41 mag fan
04-07-2013, 07:47 AM
They have to be shipped overnight. FedEx will allow FFLs to ship 2nd day air.

Thats right...thanks freak for jogging my memory....it's been that long for me!