PDA

View Full Version : Browning BLR in .358 Win

Shuz
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
I've got a table at a three day gun show and have been offered a clean .358 Win BLR with a Redfield 4x scope. He's asking $600.00 and it sounds a little high to me. In your estimation, what would be a fair deal. Gun is in NRA excellent condition.

MT Gianni
04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
I bought one 3 1/2 years ago for $500 and thought I stole it. No rings or mounts. The kicker would be if it had more than one magazine as they run $45-$60. Pre-81 blr mags that hang down below the gun are unobtanium and run well over $125 on e-bay when they show up. I bought a newer one for the 81 BLR from an inmate here labelled 257 Roberts that feeds the 358 well.

wv109323
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
I ran across a BLR at a pawn shop. It was about 90% condition and had a couple of serious bangs in the stock. Price on it was 799.00. Gun prices today seem to me to be at least 20% higher than I think is reasonable. In my opinion $550.00 would be more correct but the .358 is rarer.

W.R.Buchanan
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Do you actually want the gun? If you do then get it. if you don't then try to grind him down.

The price is fair, as they don't come up that often.

I have a rule, and I try to follow it as much as possible.

1. If something that I really want comes under my nose and I have the money to buy it,,, I buy it. The decision was already made.

2. If it is something that I kinda want, and I have the money but want other things more, I might buy it, might not.

Or if I see it's a screamin' deal on something I know I can make money on I'll probably buy it.

I have regretted not buying quite a few things that I wish I had pulled the trigger on, only to find that they are now gone and not coming back anytime soon.

I try to minimize the feeling of "future regret" as much as possible.

Randy

onceabull
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Sold one of mine (steel frame.Md. in Japan,no scope,no mounts) during show set up locally about 18 Mo.ago, $595 to another indie, obviously a tad too cheap, but too busy the next two days to go see what he had marked it up to....fwiw Onceabull[smilie=b:

FergusonTO35
04-06-2013, 10:20 PM
The Redfield scope might be worth over $100.00. That and the BLR for $600.00 is a great deal!

Shuz
04-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Well, I bought the set up, gun, scope, mounts and 1/2 box of factory ammo and have been deluged with offers to buy it for $650. I rather doubt that it will follow me home tomorrow. I was offered $20.00 for the 1/2 box of ammo and sold it, and so am now into the set-up for $480 total. Do youse guys think I should let it follow me home? After all, it ain't a .35 Whelen! What's the twist rate on this beast? Will it stabilize a 358009? Oh, well, maybe it will shoot an RCBS 35-200 satifactorily.

waksupi
04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Shuz, you know you will hate yourself if you let it go. At least shoot it, you can always sell it at the next show if you don't like it.

Shuz
04-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Ric--You devil you, talked me right into keeping it!
Ray

MT Gianni
04-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Mine does not do as well with the 3589 as with the RCBS 200. Besides that Shuz, haven't you drawn your allotment of moose tags?

historicfirearms
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm jealous. I've been searching gun shows for a 358 BLR for years. I finally found a nice one laying on a table at a show last year. It was like new, and man, did I ever want it. Problem was that the dealer didn't want to sell it. Why would you bring a rifle to a gun show, put it on your table, and not want to sell? Oh well, the search continues.

Shuz
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
MT Gianni--When I hunt meese, I go to British Columbia where there is no drawing required. However we, as non-residents, do have to use a BC qualified outfitter. We do have rather large grey squirrels that have been infiltrating our pine squirrel population. Therefore since they are so much bigger, I figger I need more oomph like the 358009!
Looks like I'll get a chance to see how each boolit works, as the BLR did follow me home.

waksupi
04-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Enablers of the world, unite!

tgator
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I have an old NEI 358-282 mold that throws 290gr. They have to be seated well below the neck to
chamber in my BLR (pre 81) but they shoot extremely well. You won't regret the purchase and I doubt you'll resell soon!

Tim

Shuz
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
OK, I took my .358 Win BLR down to the range with a few rounds just to see how it would shoot. It went bang alright, but the 2/ Ea 5 shot groups at 50 meters were about 2". I didn't have the chrono set up as it was too late in the day. The load was an RCBS 35-200 at Saeco 8 and .359 diameter with 23g of 2400,WLR primer, and necked up .308 Win R-P Brass. OAL was 2.562.
I had trouble with the magazine clip right off the bat. The cartridges did not wanna stay in the clip, but wanted to jump out as I tried to load it. Is there a secret to how to load the clip? The clip has cal.243 ,cal.308 and cal.358 inscribed on it at the rear of the clip, so it would appear the it is the correct clip. This clip hangs down about 5/8 of an inch when inserted into the rifle. Is this gun a pre 81 BLR? The serial number is 3046xRR12x(with the x's designated on the gun by a number). Can anyone tell me what year it was made, etc?
The trigger had an enormous amount of creep. Is that normal for these guns? What is the twist rate? Can anyone point me toward a tutorial on takedown. HELP!

Shuz
04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Bump to the top to see if I can get any help with this new toy!

waksupi
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Did you start with the basic slugging of the bore?

Shuz
04-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Did you start with the basic slugging of the bore?

Ric, I've not had much success with bore slugging. Especially with this gun, how do I get the slug out of the bore once it's in there if I don't know how to disassemble it? What I am trying to do is try various sizes of boolits until I find one that works best.So far with this gun I started with .359. It's not the accuracy I'm concerned about as much as what is the Model number, how do I take it down and put it back together and how to load the clip without the cartridges flying all over the place. I'd also like to know when this gun was mf'd. Also, are all the triggers on these BLR's as creepy as this one?
I know you are a great fan of the .358 Win, what gun(s) are yours? What powder(s) have you found to work best with cast boolits?--Ray

MJR007
04-12-2013, 06:41 PM
My 358win is a 700 with a Douglas tube. Varget is my go to powder.

waksupi
04-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Ric, I've not had much success with bore slugging. Especially with this gun, how do I get the slug out of the bore once it's in there if I don't know how to disassemble it? What I am trying to do is try various sizes of boolits until I find one that works best.So far with this gun I started with .359. It's not the accuracy I'm concerned about as much as what is the Model number, how do I take it down and put it back together and how to load the clip without the cartridges flying all over the place. I'd also like to know when this gun was mf'd. Also, are all the triggers on these BLR's as creepy as this one?
I know you are a great fan of the .358 Win, what gun(s) are yours? What powder(s) have you found to work best with cast boolits?--Ray

On lever actions, I have driven them completely through the bore, and letting them fall in the chamber. I've never taken apart a Browning, so can't help you there. You may need a dis-assembly book.
I'd look around for another magazine, and compare the magazine lips. .308 based cases are REAL finicky about feed from a magazine. I only have bolt actions, and had some trials and errors before I got things functioning okay.
The powder I've been using most is WC 852(f) with the heavier boolits.

MT Gianni
04-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Ray a flat magazine base is a newer model the older 81's had a tapered base. It might have some bent lips as I had a mag that would not keep cartridges in unless I held my tongue right.

ironhead7544
04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Once had a M88 Winchester in 358. Wish I had it back. Was fun to shoot cast revolver bullets with a Squibb load of Unique. Almost no noise and accurate at 25 yards. I remember having a bit of a hard time finding the right cast boolit load for it. It was fussy but I worked one up. Sorry, dont remember the load. Would like to have a BLR like yours.

starmac
04-13-2013, 10:55 AM
From what I have heard, the browning can be a real bear to get back together if disassembled.

pietro
04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
This clip hangs down about 5/8 of an inch when inserted into the rifle. Is this gun a pre 81 BLR? The serial number is 3046xRR12x(with the x's designated on the gun by a number). Can anyone tell me what year it was made, etc?

Shuz
04-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the help! I've been doing a little research on this rifle and as pietro pointed out, it was made in 1977 and is what is known in Browning circles as a pre-81 BLR. The actual model number is BLR. Many folks have cautioned about not taking this gun apart because of the difficulty in getting it back together properly. Some folks go as far to say that some gunsmiths won't touch them! For those not familiar, the lever and bolt, are a rack and pinion type set up, and I understand that the teeth timing on re-assembly is critical to head space. There is not a screw visible anywhere on the outside of the rifle. Various pins hold it together. As for the clip, I did a search on an auction site and found one starting at $249.99!!! On another site, a guy says he once paid $150.00 for one! Looks like I gots one expensive, but somewhat rare new toy that I'm sure to have fun with and hope nuthin breaks! Meantime if any of you see a pre-81 BLR clip laying around, that fits the .308 family of cartridges, please let me know.

dakota
04-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I have one like that 358 with scope. They are selling for more than that on the auction site I look at quite often. I really like my 358 BLR BTW. good shooter, quick and easy to get on target. The only issue I have is be careful to lock the magazine in place. I've had it fall out when I first started shooting it. Second put only three cartridges in the magazine -- it seems like 4 fits, but in my experience -- don't. I have two magazines for mine. At the prices you've quoted, I could let one go.:popcorn: