PDA

View Full Version : Rowell #1 has a leak

longshot1154
04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Was out in the shed today smelting wheel weights and when I went to pour the lead into the muffin tin, I noticed that I have a steady leak out of the bottom of my Rowell #1 ladle that I purchased from Rotometals through Amazon. This is only the second time I've used it. I ended up using a second soup ladle under the Rowell to catch the drippings. I'll send them a message through Amazon to see about getting it replaced. I didn't notice this the first time using it as I was pouring into my molds and was holding the ladle over my smelting pot. There are no obvious cracks in the ladel, the dripping is coming from the center of the bottom, right on the casting marks, and only when it gets hot. I let it cool down and the first ladle full didn't drip until it heated up, then a fairly steady drizzle.

Anyone ever seen this before?

jmort
04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I was going to order one. Hopefully this is an aberration.

longshot1154
04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I was going to order one. Hopefully this is an aberration.

I think it is. Everything I've read about them was good and that was why I bought it. I was going to buy the Lyman as I'm left handed and the Lyman allows pouring from both sides, but went with the Rowell because of what I read. I have sent them a message, hopefully will hear from them next week sometime.

Horace
04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I've used one for two years no issues.

John Boy
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Call RotoMetals for an exchange

longshot1154
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Well I sent the e-mail to Rotometals at roughly 9:26 PM, EST. Received a response from them at 9:47 PM, asking for some photos. Sent them the photos this morning and they are shipping another out on Monday. Great service. Knew my issue had to be a fluke, due to the great reviews about the ladle and from what I just experienced, outstanding customer service from Rotometals.

Dan Cash
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't understand the complaint. It is a bottom pour ladle is it not? :)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Ya got a point there Dan :veryconfu

Glad to hear they are taking care of that problem.

Great ladles, and the best I have ever used.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

dragonrider
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Though I would not use one myself I have heard nothing but good about Rowell ladles. Those of us who are ladle folks seem to like them so I would say that a leak in one is as Jmortimer hopes "an aberation".