PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop Plate Lube

Marlin Junky
08-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Can the Bullshop lube be used on very hot molds? I have a mold that casts well when my metal is over 800F and I was considering the use of Bullshop Plate Lube next time instead of #2 pencil lead.

MJ

dromia
08-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Yes it can be used hot I have a few moulds that need around 850 to cast well and Bull Shop lube works just fine.

My latest use for it is on Lee Collet dies, a touch on the collar along iwth some polishing stops it sticking.

I wish I could buy just one Lee product that didn't need fettling :roll:

SharpsShooter
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Yes it can. The stuff is magic. Makes your mould behave itself.

SS

jonk
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I honestly don't see the advantage of the stuff over just running the molds dry, which I assume is sacrilige, but I'm just being honest. Opening the sprue is no easier or harder- that is more a function of how tight the sprue plate screw is. It might cut down on minor leading of the top of the mold, but that's no biggie- about the only true benefit I see is lubing the V ribs on a lee mold with a small dab of it. That said I've slopped it on everything according to directions and it seems to work fine at any temperature.

SharpsShooter
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Running the mould dry translates into greatly increased wear on the alighnment pins and over time will gall the top of the mould. Galling occurs when the alloy builds up unseen on the bottom of the sprue plate and gradually wears semi-circular grooves on the top of the blocks as you swing it.

Bullplate was not designed to make the sprue plate swing easier, although its lubricating properties do help. It was designed to protect the mould if you cut too early and smeared the alloy on both the top of the blocks and bottom of the sprue. I have used it at 875* and it continues to work properly.

It is especially beneficial when using aluminum moulds because at casting temperatures aluminum is much easier to damage than its iron brothers.

SS

Marlin Junky
08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
My intentions for using it, is to prevent smearing at the cut off point. Like I said, I have a mold (a brass 260 grain, .35 cal MM) that performs best when my metal is over 800F and at that pouring temp, sprues take a long time to harden. While pencil lead does help, it is not as effective on this mold as it is on RCBS/SAECO molds while using 750F to 800F alloy.

Should I only apply the Bullshop lube to the underside of the sprue plate, and will one application last for two hours of casting? Obviously, I don't want any trace of the lube getting into the mold cavities.

MJ

475/480
08-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I use Bullshop lube on the underside of the plate and on top of the mould,it lasts for about 1- 1.5 hr before I need to lube again .

Sean

Should I only apply the Bullshop lube to the underside of the sprue plate, and will one application last for two hours of casting? Obviously, I don't want any trace of the lube getting into the mold cavities.

MJ[/QUOTE]

Marlin Junky
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I use Bullshop lube on the underside of the plate and on top of the mould,it lasts for about 1- 1.5 hr before I need to lube again .

Sean

Sean,

Where, on the top of the mold? Just in the path of the sprue holes? You keep it away from the cavities, right?

MJ

klausg
08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
MJ-
Dittoes to the above; a very little amount of that stuff goes a long way. If you over-apply it will get down in the cavities and you'll be cursing the stuff. In addition to the sprue plate and top of the mould, I also put just a touch on the alignment pins/holes. I have one Lee six cavity that doesn't like to open or close without it.

-Klaus

Dale53
08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
The directions that come with Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube is to get the mould up to temperature. Then, cut the sprue leaving the bullets in the mould. Use a q-tip to apply lube across the top of the mould block (it won't hurt if you get a bit of lube on the bullet base) then, using a clean DRY q-tip remove nearly all of the lube. Do the same to both sides of the sprue plate.

I swear by it!

Dale53

45nut
08-28-2007, 04:29 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3412

there is the true path from the source.

Marlin Junky
08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Do the same to both sides of the sprue plate.

I swear by it!

Dale53

Dale,

You mean, lube the top of the sprue cutter? I purchased a couple bottles (I think) when it first became available (haven't tried it yet) and the directions got separated from the product.

MJ

stanley2
08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
You can find the instructions in the following post:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=41614&postcount=21

It is a great product!!!

Marlin Junky
08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. One last question: does it (Bullshop Sprue Lube) have a shelf-life (expiration date)?

MJ

Dale53
08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Someone on here gave an excellent tip right after it became available. Shake the bottle, remove the lid and then just use the lube that is still sticking to the inside of the lid. That meters a very small amount of lube. I tried it and now it is the way I do it.

Dale53

Phil
08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I use it on molds and to make bullet lube with. Wouldn't be without it, and get paranoid about running out. I've been casting bullets since the fifties and when it comes to making cast bullets its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Cheers,

Phil

SharpsShooter
08-28-2007, 08:05 PM
BTW it works great as a case sizing lube too. I put a bit on my index finger and lube the case very sparingly and it is great

SS

Buckshot
08-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Yes it can be used hot I have a few moulds that need around 850 to cast well and Bull Shop lube works just fine.

My latest use for it is on Lee Collet dies, a touch on the collar along iwth some polishing stops it sticking.

I wish I could buy just one Lee product that didn't need fettling :roll:

.............Now look, if you just bought it and used it, would it be ............like part of you? I mean, all you did to aquire it was to pay some money for it, but then it's just like any ole thing else you buy. There's no 'Oneness' with you, no personal karma or anything else. It's not a part of you like that Lee Collet die is. There is a bit of You in that die now, and it should hold special meaning for you.

Now if you're sitting there at the reloading bench with that die in your hand, and someone comes in and asks what you're doing you can say, "Me an my die are having a beer". They may think you're totally whacked out of your gourd, but that won't matter to you because you know better, right?

Glad to help out.

..................Buckshot

PatMarlin
08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Has anyone used that bull slime as boolit lube yet? ....:mrgreen:

Poygan
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Yup, Bullshop himself, mixed with beeswax. I also use it as a bore conditioner after I clean the barrels.

crabo
08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
What is the formula/ mix ratio of sprue lube to beeswax? I want to order some and haven't heard back from Bull Shop. I don't want to order too little or too much.

Bullshop
08-30-2007, 01:19 AM
crabo
Sorry I have been absent. Have been in the mountains with my boys setting up a moose camp. Headed back tomarrow God willing and may be gone for a bit.
The mix is 3 to 1 by weight wax to BP. 12 oz wax to 4 oz BP makes 1 lb speed green boolit lube.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Sundogg1911
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
since the first time i tried it, i'm convinced that it is liquid gold! I use it as mold hinge pin oil, sprue plate lube. I lube most of the contact parts on my master caster with it. I think it must have some special propertys coming from alaska. Some secret ingredient, like walrus snot or something makes it magic [smilie=1: (Are there Walrus's in Alaska?). I wouldn't even be suprised if they find that it cures cancer!
:-D .....ok....maybe i'm getting a little carried away, but It is great stuff and I have no more lead smear on the bases of my bullets. Well worth the money and one drop goes a long way