PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 rifle advice

MJR007
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Over the past couple years I have collected a few boxes... of cast boolits in 45-70 in trades. The rifle has been on the "want to try list" for a long time but my 358win keeps getting all the love. I have spent a bunch of time over at Buds and am leaning toward the H&R short barrel but most of my boolits are 500gr. I like the short barrel for black bear on bait, the blinds can be tight. I really need a scope at this point in my life. Any ideas on any other brands or rifles under $450. Thanks for the input, and yes I used the search function.

Nobade
04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
A used Marlin 1895 if you can find one. Scout scope or red dot setup, well forward of your eye. I occasionally see them for less than $450, but they're getting rarer all the time.

-Nobade

04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd go with the H&R. Even with those heavy boolits. It's a hunting machine and it doesn't get any simpler. Scoped with a low power scope and it's a dream to hunt with. 2x7 Burris, 4x Weaver -- can't go wrong.

Texantothecore
04-05-2013, 09:12 PM
I would go with h&r. Those rifles are as much fun as you can have with a gun. And remember that you can get shotgun barrels and rifled barrels for it and trade barrels with simple handtools.

CLAYPOOL
04-06-2013, 12:38 AM
I have one of the new stainless , thumb hole stock..Miss M says its the pretty rifle...still haven't shot it a years or so later..selling the cows and hay stuff, fenses etc.. Going to double the build on gun room/range/gun business...# 2 Concealed carry class for Florida out of state premit and hopefully ILLINOIS requirements..April 13 @ Thompsonville Il. Contact Steve Kalaher..618-663-5925..Registered Firearms Instructor (pepper Spray trainer also)..He will take extra time forpeople asking for it..I stepped back while he helped with Miss. M she haddent shot in 20 years or so..

CLAYPOOL
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
No time limit on helping...!

rexherring
04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Hard to beat the H&R for price. 500 grainers will give a good recoil because they're light. A Marlin 1895 Guide Gun is a great gun too, you do have followup shots quicker, strong action, and the shorter models handle good and fast.

But, for the price, you could buy 2 H&R's and have a second caliber for something else.

NickSS
04-06-2013, 04:02 AM
I have one of the H&R with the short barrel and it lets you know that you have a gun when you touch it off. I personally can handle 400 gr bullets loaded to about 1400 fps in mine with out hurting myself. 500 gr I use a magnum recoil shield on my shoulder and I can shoot it all day long with loads up to about 1600 fps without a few shots is all I want to face. I keep it for one reason. For a hunting gun it is hard to beat for close in work. I have mine fit up with a Wiliam's FP receiver sight and it is fast and accurate to use

MJR007
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
I do like the 1895's a lot but used rifles around here are in short supply. The H&R seems to fit my needs better. Interesting no other brands showed up. Thanks again for the advice.

Artful
04-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Well your $450 cap sort of takes out the Ruger singleshots, T/C encore or even Bolt action conversions on SMLE/Enfield/Siamese Mausers. If you were a do it yourself kind of guy I would suggest a Mosin conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GG4iEDAT1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekTNJDHGB8

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
I saw a nice Marlin a couple weeks back at a G.S. for about 450 and not being a H&R fan, I'd sure wait for the Marlin if you can't spring for a RUGER #1 which would be my first choice!

TC would also be good.

Have handled some of the H&R or Handi rifles, and just couldn't bring myself to look any closer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

MJR007
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I do have soft spot for Ruger #1's. Still don't know what rifle, sooner or later it will find me.

Whiterabbit
04-08-2013, 01:12 AM
you can convert mosin to 45/70?

mdevlin53
04-08-2013, 06:14 AM
There is a nice rolling block on the site right now, bit more than you want to pay but it loves 500grains.
I know this is self serving but what the hey!

Nobade
04-08-2013, 08:38 AM
you can convert mosin to 45/70?

Yes, it's easy. But unless you do it yourself it'll bust the $450 budget.

-Nobade

dualsport
04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Ruger made the #3 in 45-70. Might be cheaper than a #1.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Duelsport,

Yep, you are correct. However, I have a couple friends which had the "pleasure" of shooting a 45/70 in a RUGER #3 and as I recall the story, one shot each was MORE then enough!:groner:

I like the #3, but would want #1 wood on one if I had it! Takes a slight adjustment to the action lever, but not a really big thing.

After shooting my #1 - 45/70 with the factory irons, I suspect that some of the pain involved with the 45/70 in the #3 was due to the large amount of drop in the butt stock.

Then there is that hard and curved butt plate!!!!

With the low head position required for me to attempt to shoot the #1 - 45/70 with irons, it was a very abusive and PAINFULL!!!! experience.

Thankfully, I fully intended to scope the rifle, and with the higher head position needed for the scope use, the butt stock was no longer beating - PAINFULLY!!! - my face and cheek.

The pain was at the level that I wondered if I was "man enough" to shoot this rifle.

Sure glad the higher head position made the difference, as I really enjoy carrying and hunting with a #1 and the short and light and fast handling #1S - 45/70 with the 22" barrel is a delight in the woods, while a 465gr WFN cast is just so over the top awesome with taking BIG game.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Nobade
04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I owned one of those 45-70 #3 rifles for a time. It really isn't a whole lot of fun to shoot. My current #1 is way nicer, but it has a 34 inch barrel on it. Kind of gets the noise away from your head.

-Nobade

jeo22
04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I enjoy shooting my 45/70's, Encore rifle and Contender pistol,I just don't load'em up with 'bone crushing' loads for fun shooting.
Lot's of reduced loads in the forums here if you look around and the 45/70 works great with reduced loads.

You can always crank 'em back up for hunting.

Whiterabbit
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
or leave them reduced since I imagine deer and pigs don't care how fast a .458 diameter chunk of lead is flying when they are hit with it.

By the way, if you really want an H&R call Boise Gun Co. They had one on their racks for a long time, I'm not sure if they still have it. But if they do it's been there for years without selling (it was there for years without selling when I saw it there every time I visited).

So might be open for price negotiation and they do lots of internet business and are thus set up for easy shipping.

Just another thought.

-S

MJR007
04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Thank you Whiterabbit.

tacklebury
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
There's a nice 32" Barreled Wesson and Harrison over at GBO for a good price. ;) The FULL price buffalo Classics go for only $405 and mine shoots 1" or less groups when I do my part at 100 yards with the provided iron sights. ;)

This is a picture of my current .45-70 Buffalo Classic and below it is a picture of it's best group with irons. ;)

.87" c-c group with 50 gr. Reloader7 under a 300 gr. bullet.

***edit***
I should state that there was about a 30 mph cross wind this day at my buddies range. I think that's why the group went left as far as it did, but the wobble was from a particularly heavy gust that hit just as I was pullin the trigger. lol

dualsport
04-09-2013, 01:41 AM
The #3 I used to hunt with was a bear to shoot. I found a replacement recoil pad that helped a lot. IIRC it also fit a Mini 14 and a 10-22. In those days I wouldn't have a reduced load, not manly. I'm smarter now. It was a sure fire killer though. Dropped pigs in their tracks.

Texantothecore
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Shoot, you can throw a .45-70 round and kill a pig or deer. I think of mine as artillery rather than a rifle.

'Cause it is....

Artful
04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
I kept my #3's in 223 and 375 big bore but 45-70 is not in the safe

badbob454
04-10-2013, 02:15 AM
i had the h&r 45/70 was great such a strong gun you can really load her hot. +p+ mine was a full length , sold it figure i can do anything with a 30-06 as i can with the 45/70 but less drop out aways , your 358 win sounds like a keeper , but, ''sigh'' , but you gotta buy sompin, to shoot them big boolits ...

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Yep, the 45/70 is not for everyone, especially if easy hits at distance is desired.

However, I knew that when I bought into hunting with with big cast bullets with my RUGER #1S and there are other rifles in the closet if long range is an issue.

But, it is really hard to beat the experience of hunting with a BIG cast bullet in a cartridge born in 1873 that still gets er done in such fine fashion.

Being the Ol'Coot that I am, I have a hard time with the folk that try to make the 45/70 into what it was never intended to be. Face it, there are just better calibers such as the 30/06 spoken of in the last post if a person isn't happy with what the 45/70 just does so very well in the conditions and ranges where it shines.

They still make 375s, 35s, 338s etc etc etc etc., so why in the world degrade the 45/70 when what is being attempted at times, is better done with a different cartridge?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bigted
04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I am with ya Crusty...however I have done a whole bunch with the lowly ol 45-70 from mag type loads with 600+ grain elephant killers in the #1 to the latest with the .490 balls pushed thru the .460 inch lee push thru die and loaded with 8 grains of unique for a whole bunch of fun and those lil elongated pills will pile up on one another at 35 yards in at least two of my 45's. blackpowder is usefull and fun and a host of other loads ive tried and accomplished as well as fell flat on my face with.

I believe that the lowly 45-70 has been and continues to be the best round I have ever used. it covers a host of uses from elephant killer to mouse trippers. it has continually provided me with hours of thought provoking times as well as the base for uncounted amounts of experimentation...this is ongoing and with no end in sight...thankfully.

however having said this I will also say that there is no way that my 45's will ever do at long range what my 25-06 will do and the 25's will bring in the caribou and wolves from way too far away to be accounted for with any of my 45's...not that they wouldn't get there and do the job but ... at 5 or 6 hundred yards with the 25 it mostly shoots to point of aim for accurate killing shots where the 45 would or could be off as much as feet at those ranges and the proficient kill shot would be iffy at best and I will not take the chance of hitting and wounding an animal at those ranges with the ol 45...targets tho... are another matter as the paper will not have to crawl off and die an awfull death to say nothing about a wolf finding it and start eating from a still moving and howling animal and from the wrong end