PDA

View Full Version : Tikka T-3 in .308 Win.

Lefty SRH
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I found a LEFT HANDED Tikka T-3 today in one of my LGS. I don't normally buy foriegn company rifles but this one really caught my eye. I shouldered it and the LOP felt really nice. The trigger was rather light for a hunting rifle and very crisp. The barrel was a light contour stainless and about 22" long.
I am considering offering them a trade for one of my bolt rifles thats RH and in .308. I'm tired of fighting a RH bolt.

Are these Tikkas known to be accurate, (not necessarily for cast or jacket in particular), strong, well built reliable rifles?
Over all I was impressed with the rifle.
Can anyone offer some opinions/experiences on the Tikka T-3?

bruce drake
04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
They are good rifles. And if you don't buy it, let me know where it is so I can buy it!

Lefty SRH
04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
They are good rifles. And if you don't buy it, let me know where it is so I can buy it!

Hahaha, not so fast Bruce..... :)

What kind of accuracy can I expect from the T3?

Cane_man
04-05-2013, 04:46 PM
i have a Tikka T3 .243 and a Tikka T3 .223 and they both shoot 1/2" MOA at 100 yards with the Barnes bullets i use... the rifle will shoot fantastic out of the box, enjoy

they are "value" rifles, the barrel, bolt, and action are all quality but the rest is marginal imo, i have the "Hunter" T3 for both that has the wood stock, plastic trigger guard, plastic safety

bruce drake
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
I know Highpower Rifle shooters who have converted T3 into Match rifles for shooting out to 600 yards so that will let you know they are good rifles.

Lefty SRH
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
The one I am considering is a Lite stainless model. Looks like I'm gonna have to go talk to them about trading.

Did anyones come with scope rings? This rifle comes with a set of 1" rings. I didn't get to see them, are the factory scope rings any count?

slim1836
04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I have a T-3 .308 with a bull barrel and quite happy with it. With jacketed 168 grain Sierra reloads I keep a nickel size grouping at 100 yards, not so good yet w/cast boolits.

Slim

Cane_man
04-05-2013, 10:53 PM
The one I am considering is a Lite stainless model. Looks like I'm gonna have to go talk to them about trading.

Did anyones come with scope rings? This rifle comes with a set of 1" rings. I didn't get to see them, are the factory scope rings any count?

both mine came with factory scope rings... they were a piece of cr@p imo so i bought after market

Lead Fred
04-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I had T3 in 300 win mag, tiny 3 shot groups, it was a bucking bronco.
After 3 rounds, your arm thinks its been kicked by a horse

GabbyM
04-06-2013, 04:02 AM
I had T3 in 300 win mag, tiny 3 shot groups, it was a bucking bronco.
After 3 rounds, your arm thinks its been kicked by a horse

They are light guns. Best suited for light calibers. 308 Win fits the bill.
My daughter has one in 270 Win. She's about 120 pounds wet. She likes it. Her husband has one in 7mm Magnum.

They will make a good three shot group. After that you need to wait for a cool down. About like a Winchester M70 Featherweight.

Lefty SRH
04-06-2013, 06:40 AM
both mine came with factory scope rings... they were a piece of cr@p imo so i bought after market

What rings did you go with?

JudgeBAC
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
My T3 .270 is a tackdriver no complaints at all. The factory rings work well on my gun, mounted a 2.5 x 8 Leupold with no problems after four years. This has to be one of the best buys out there right now for a factory rifle, smooth action, good trigger, accurate, lightweight, what else could you want from a factory gun?

Cane_man
04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
What rings did you go with?

leupold

texassako
04-11-2013, 10:56 PM
The Tikka T3 is basically an affordable Sako. A few difference like a removable magazine and the stock, but made in the same place. A left hand T3 would definitely fit the bill if I were in the market for a new rifle.

NVScouter
04-12-2013, 01:15 AM
I had the Tika T3 ultralight in .243 and sold if after shooting a deer with it. Best I ever got was 1"@100y due to the heavy trigger and whippy barrel. It was good for about 3 shots and started walking making cold bore site in very slow. Great to pack but a 200y rifle at best.

I think a wood stock and slightly heavier barrel would have made it a keeper. The grip is nice and fast and the bolt was smooth and big. Good designs as are the scope mounts for Tikas.

Lefty SRH
04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
What have you guys paid for your Tikkas? This shop has $800 on the price tag. I'll be trading but I don't expect much for my Savage .308.

NVScouter
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I paid $615 for mine two years ago. FYI the factory rings are good if you lap them as the coating did have uneven surfaces. I have a 1" alluminum tube that I coat with compound and tighten so I can barely move it and work it in. Even the best rings will be imporoved by doing this. My tube is actually off a GCX mount but any machine shop will likely have solid bar stock in the propper OD. Or buy the Brownells kit.

MBTcustom
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
I had a Tikka T3 in 30-06 several years ago. A little TLC, some burris rings, a Bushnell Elite 3200, and some good ammo and I could cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yards.
I traded the rifle strait across for a boat (yeah it was that sweet), I sold the boat to help pay for a wedding ring set, and then I ended up getting the boat back later. I tried to find that rifle, but I'm afraid it's gone with the wind.
Oh well, I replaced it with a Sako and I'm just about as impressed with it, as I was with the Tikka. They are the same company IIRC.

Frank46
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
I have a sako 75 hunter in 30-06. Best shooting 06 I have had yet. Had the stock cut about an inch and a pachmayer deaccelerator pad put on. Good combination. Frank

Lefty SRH
04-17-2013, 05:30 AM
I had a Tikka T3 in 30-06 several years ago. A little TLC, some burris rings, a Bushnell Elite 3200, and some good ammo and I could cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yards.
I traded the rifle strait across for a boat (yeah it was that sweet), I sold the boat to help pay for a wedding ring set, and then I ended up getting the boat back later. I tried to find that rifle, but I'm afraid it's gone with the wind.
Oh well, I replaced it with a Sako and I'm just about as impressed with it, as I was with the Tikka. They are the same company IIRC.

What flavor "TLC" are you refering to Tim? LOL

Lefty SRH
04-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Found another Tikka T-3 in another store (deparment sporting good store) and its tag was $680. It was RH but don't know the caliber. I'm having trouble taking the $800 (at the local gun store) bite on the LH .308. That would be the most I would have ever paid for a rifle.

Larry in MT
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I've got a LH T3 Stainless in 223.

They take some getting used to. The bedding system (now widely copied) gives me the creeps. It's an epoxied lug in the stock fitting into a dovetail in the action --- fine on a .223. Also has a plastic magazine. The stock is Tupperware, but a step up from the Savage tupperware. The supplied rings (cheapy) work okay on my .223. Even in a .308; it will have a long action.

On the positive side. The trigger really DOES adjust down to 2 pounds --- it's a pretty good trigger, also. Mine shoots 5 shots into about .55" @ 100 yards using my old Ballistic Tip reloads. The first shot from a cold/dirty/clean/oily barrel goes in the group. Mine weighs 6.2 lbs, it's my calling rifle.