PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-125-RNFP in 9mm

awaveritt
04-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I have read numerous posts on here about folks using this boolit in 9mm autos. I have this mold and have loaded hundreds of these for use in my cowboy guns. But my son needs some 9mm ammo for his Ruger P89. I don't currently own a 9mm, and he's a few hours away. I'd like to load up some for him to try, but am wondering about seating depth. Without being able to do remove his barrel and perform the "kerplunk" test, I'd like to know what folks are using for COAL. Would I be in the ballpark if I just barely covered the crimp groove on the boolit? Or is there some other suggestions based on your experience. I'll just load a handful for him to try when I see him at the end of the month. Also, any other info appreciated - powders, loads, etc.

Wireman134
04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
1.070" OAL works well in the Beretta 92 and Ruger LC9 I load for

awaveritt
04-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks, wireman, I'll play around with that number. I'll be working with a starting load of Bullseye and will pan-lube with 45/45/10 Beeswax/Crisco/Lanolin. I also have the TL-356-124gr mold but that tumble lube design leaded badly in his bore. These will be sized at .357 with a Lee push thru sizer die. Hoping these will fit a lot better.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-05-2013, 05:04 PM
The Ruger P-series are pretty forgiving in regards to feeding...you should have no problem with function.

I seat that boolit to 1.065 for a Taurus PT 24/7 it's a little more finicky than my Rugers. My Ruger could handle a longer COL, but it cycles the 1.065 just fine.

I don't recall where the crimp groove falls ??? I don't crimp them, I just Iron out the flare.
Jon

GabbyM
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
125 grain Lee RNFP is a great 9mm boolit.
Without looking up the COL they seat deep enough to hide the crimp grove so that's a non issue.
My mold drops at around 128 grains. I've loaded a few thousand over Alliant 20/28 using the Unique max load non +p.
they shoot slower than the 122 grain TC bullets but pressure doesn't seam to increase much if any. 9mm for me seams to shoot more accurate with the charges backed off more below sonic levels. Heavier boolit gets you below super sonic without reducing power.

Only issue I have with the Lee bullet is it holds a glob of lube which can turn indoor ranges into a smoking section. But I need to do away with micro crystalline wax in my lube.

jameslovesjammie
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
You definitely want to check your OAL with this bullet. I know Rugers typically can take longer loads, by this bullet in my wife's CZ75B has to be loaded to 0.988".

rintinglen
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
1.065 for me. Longer hangs up in my Sig P-6, though not in my S&W M-39-2.

awaveritt
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
You definitely want to check your OAL with this bullet. I know Rugers typically can take longer loads, by this bullet in my wife's CZ75B has to be loaded to 0.988".

No pressure signs with that short OAL? I had some PM's with one of the posters who's had good success with 1.020, which just covers the crimp groove. I'm going to try that for my son's Ruger P89 for starters. Thanks to all for your replies.

BTW, I used to have a beautiful stainless CZ75B. Dang, I wish I still had it!

jameslovesjammie
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
No pressure signs with that short OAL? I had some PM's with one of the posters who's had good success with 1.020, which just covers the crimp groove. I'm going to try that for my son's Ruger P89 for starters. Thanks to all for your replies.

BTW, I used to have a beautiful stainless CZ75B. Dang, I wish I still had it!

I never loaded any. I made a dummy round and was half afraid that with this short OAL, even a starting load will be of questionable pressure. I load a Ballisti-Cast 125 grain round nose and Mihec 140 grain flat point instead that give me much better OAL's (1.129 and 1.040", respectively).

thehouseproduct
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I have loaded several thousand so that it just covers the crimp groove like mentioned above. Works great in all my 9mm's. Now that it is mentioned, it does smoke a lot but I normally shoot outdoors so its a non issue for me.

libilaw
04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I Just picked up a box of these from a casting company called bumble bee cast bullet co that were already sized to .357. Using the drop in the barrel test to make sure they will chamber, the only load that i could get to work was at a coal of .957! I made another round at 1.007 that would chamber but it took effort to eject. The gun I am using is a karren high power clone. Am I sol with these boolits?

Rodfac
04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
With Missouri Bullets 124 gr TRN, BB, I load to an over all length of 1.125" with good functioning and moderate pressures. I use Win 231 or HP38 (same powder, different label), or more recently WST. That COAL works for a Sig P226, a Sig P290, a Glock 19, a Glock 23 with a 9mm Lone Wolf bbl, and a Series 70 Colt Gov't Model 1911A1. In working up loads for them, my goal was a functioning load as close to 100% reliability as I can get it, commensurate with good accuracy. Velocity, so long as the round functions correctly with good accuracy, plays no part in the work up process. These goals allow me to confidently practice quick controlled pairs.

It must be remembered that any difference in seating depth, can and will affect chamber pressures, sometimes severely. Proceed with caution. In selecting a seating dept, in the absence of published data for that particular bullet, I seat to the longest COAL that will function through the magazine, allow good case neck tension, and is fairly accurate for defensive practice drills. All of the above pistols pass the "kerplunk" test. HTH's Rod

revolvergeek
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
This is getting to be one of my favorite molds. I have had good results with the 358-125-rnfp and various charges of Red Dot in 9mmP, .38 spl and .357 mag. I shoot them as cast and tumble lubed in a mix of LLA/JPW. In 9mm I seat them where the crimp groove is just below the case mouth, and I do run them through a Lee FCD also.

I am going to try it in .380 soon.

BCRider
04-21-2013, 04:19 AM
I Just picked up a box of these from a casting company called bumble bee cast bullet co that were already sized to .357. Using the drop in the barrel test to make sure they will chamber, the only load that i could get to work was at a coal of .957! I made another round at 1.007 that would chamber but it took effort to eject. The gun I am using is a karren high power clone. Am I sol with these boolits?

I would say so. The OAL is pretty darn short for ensuring that they will cycle out of the magazine and up into the chamber.

I'm guessing that this must be a short and fat sort of bullet shape Otherwise it makes little sense that it has to be loaded that deep in the casing.

A load that deep also means that the pressure is going to be higher for a given weight of powder. You'll need to sneak up on the final load with more care since the book recipes simply do not allow for that sort of deep seated bullet.

thehouseproduct
04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/22/ygaqu6y5.jpg
Here are mine loaded with 4.6grs WST. OAL is 1.020". Cycles all my 9mm guns great. FWIW the same boolit and charge make nice little cloverleafs in my 38 special.

crabo
04-21-2013, 10:46 PM
What alloys are you guys using and do you water drop?

thehouseproduct
04-21-2013, 11:23 PM
50% Pb / 50% WW water dropped with a little tin.

GunFun
04-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Thanks, wireman, I'll play around with that number. I'll be working with a starting load of Bullseye and will pan-lube with 45/45/10 Beeswax/Crisco/Lanolin. I also have the TL-356-124gr mold but that tumble lube design leaded badly in his bore. These will be sized at .357 with a Lee push thru sizer die. Hoping these will fit a lot better.

I have used TL-356-124gr bullet in 9x19 with good success and no leading in my Tarus PT99 AF (~M9). I used Bullseye, 50/50 pure and WW and water dropped. Tumble lubed lightly using Recluse's 45/45/10 and loaded as cast (.358). I wonder if water dropping or eliminating sizing would make the difference for you.

Angus
04-22-2013, 02:40 AM
I am shooting it water dropped, sized to .358, and seated so the crimp groove is completely exposed out of my SR9. It feeds fine and was decently accurate over 5.4gr of Power Pistol. I just came up from loading another 50 over 5.5 of Unique. Mine are lubed with Tac1, mixed brass. The PP loads were lit by CCI SPs, this Unique batch are lit with Federal SP magnum match.

crabo
04-27-2013, 12:44 AM
I was shooting my 9mm AR with this boolit on Thursday. The impact it made vs a round nose factory fmj 115 grain was a considerable difference. Should make a good small game boolit. I was using 5 grains of power pistol, but it didn't have enough oomph to eject consistently.

GabbyM
04-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Crabo: In the long barrel AR try 7.+ grains of Blue Dot. Probably around 7.5 grains.
I've run lots of 124 J bullets over 7.7 to 8.0 grains but that does tend to stretch the primer pockets of most brass.
You'll need one of the brass brands with larger case capacity. AA#5 is another good powder. I very much dislike Power Pistol in 9mm. 5.0 grains of Unique or 20/28 would also be much better than the PP. Have some AA#7 here to try but have not got around to it. Planed on it under my 147gr FN. If you need more recoil in that AR a 147 gain boolit will give you that. I use a heavier spring to shoot the big bullets. Else they leave the line to land on cars in the parking lot.

Blintersifrid
04-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Accuracy load for the Hi-Point 995 carbine is 6.1gr Blue Dot under a 124 or 125gr boolit (or 115gr J-word).
I imagine it'd work nicely in your AR platform, too.

'Sifrid

GunFun
04-27-2013, 07:51 PM
good to know. I've got one of those. I know that 147 RNFP J bullets of unknown manufacturer wanted to tumble and keyhole at ~ 100 yards. I am curious about whether anyone has tested this at range for the 125 grn bullets.

crabo
04-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Gabby, thanks for the info. I was going to try Unique when I loaded up the next few. I also have some blue dot, but have lots of AA#5.

I love the Lee boolit for my .357s in 38 Special cases with 3.5 of Bullseye. I have also used it in my 38 Super and it feeds well. I hope to find a good 100 yard target load for my Marlin 94 .357 also.

flipajig
04-28-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm loading it for my P95 and PC 9 with good results in both. At 50 yds I was able to maintain in my opinion great accuracy this was off hand with no rest and Oppen sights as for 100 I haven't shot it on papper but whe shooting cans and the such I'm able to hit them quite regular.
As for penetration we bucherd a pig recently and one shot behind the ear compleat penitration the Boolit exited on the lower left side of the jaw the pig hit the dirt and tastes great.
Flip