PDA

View Full Version : custom seater plug needed

jason f
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Does anyone on cast boolits make custom seater plugs. I need a lee seater plug for the 429303. Lee has halted custom work and I would rather pay someone on here for one. Thanks Jason

Curlymaple42
04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I had seater plugs made for the 50 Beowulf LEE die sets by a local small machinist. Wasn't too expensive. Maybe someone on here has a lathe.

scb
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
You could contact theperfessor a vendor sponsor here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112298-Conformal-No-Tools-Needed-Lyman-RCBS-Style-Nose-Punches

His system is for nose punches but I don't see why it couldn't be used on seating stems.

1hole
04-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Lee's self centering seater "plug" is easy to remove and it's quite easy/fast to custom fit any bullet you want to it with a bit of epoxy putty.

Wax a cartridge loaded with your bullet of choice. Mix a bean sized ball of the putty and place it in the seater cavity and then push the bullet nose straight into the putty. Let the putty harden, remove any excess and install the plug back in the die, you will have a perfect fit.

If you screw up, scratch the putty out with a pocket knife and do it over.

r1kk1
04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Lee's self centering seater "plug" is easy to remove and it's quite easy/fast to custom fit any bullet you want to it with a bit of epoxy putty.

Wax a cartridge loaded with your bullet of choice. Mix a bean sized ball of the putty and place it in the seater cavity and then push the bullet nose straight into the putty. Let the putty harden, remove any excess and install the plug back in the die, you will have a perfect fit.

If you screw up, scratch the putty out with a pocket knife and do it over.

Sage advice and cheap enough to do for several custom seating stems.

Take care

r1kk1

MtGun44
04-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Flat seater works fine for a wide range of boolits.

Bill

jason f
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM

It would definately deform the tip on these.

MtGun44
04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I would suggest that there are a heck of a lot of designs that have a flat point
of some type and that those pointy things are pretty rare oddballs.

Bill

Wayne Smith
04-07-2013, 07:03 PM
PM Buckshot. I think he will do it if you decide you still need one.