PDA

View Full Version : Component "shortage" or conspiricy...

prs
04-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I went into this shortage pretty well stocked; three cases each of small and large primers, I thought. But I shoot pretty often and I am getting low on small pistol primers. By this time the manufacturers should been able to flood the market. What is going on for real? Midway is no longer predicting when supplies will be arriving. Just about everything you need for reloading, except what you really need.

prs

Love Life
04-05-2013, 12:55 PM
The manufacturers can't flood the market. There is to much demand. The demand and back order for ammo is ridiculous and they have priority for components.

The damand and back order for components by reloaders is ridiculous. Reloaders do not have priority. Add in JIT, low end of year inventories, etc and you have the perfect storm.

My advice (which is free)? Cut back on shooting until this blows over or get a pellet gun.

runfiverun
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
primers will be the last thing to come back on the shelves.
they don't set up to just run off primers for sale, they sell their excess primers.
it's a marketing thing.
you can sell excess primers for 3 cents each or sell them shoved in a case for 6 cents each.

Jim
04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
..... get a pellet gun.

A pellet rifle won't replace my centerfire or rimfire rifles, but it sure helps to fill in the void. It seems to 'scatch the itch' for me to be able to sit on the front steps and bounce around a soda bottle hanging from a bracket by a string.

I ordered two 1250 rd. boxes of pellets from the LGS. Added to the estimated 500 or so I already had on hand, I have about 3 Ks worth of ammo to shoot my pellet rifle with. Some times, just 10 or 15 minutes of bouncin' that soda bottle around is all I need to get my fix for a few minutes of trigger time.

Love Life
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I have about 3 Ks worth of ammo to shoot my pellet rifle with.

Why are you hoarding all the pellets, Jim? Oh the horror!!!

P33v3
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I hear that Speer in particular is having more trouble than others keeping up. Seems like Hornady is a little easier to get for ammo manufacturers.

Jim
04-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Why are you hoarding all the pellets, Jim? Oh the horror!!!

Well, I guess I stuck my foot in it, huh? Me an' my big mouth. [smilie=b:

Now I've digraced the forum and I'll be labeled an outcast for the rest of my life. All my friends here will turn their backs on me for this dispicable act of thoughtlessness and selfishness. :sad:

My life is over. I guess the best thing for me to do is shoot myself in the foot with my pellet rifle and end it all. :cry:

Will you feed my dog?

Love Life
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I'll feed the dog, but the cats are on their own. I heard Mr. Bill was a rabble rouser...

BIGRED
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I have been shooting the pellet gun alot. made a trap to catch my bullets, every little bit of lead adds up.

square butte
04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Janet will feed the dog - and take care of you once you have shot all your toes off and put out both your eyes. We'll come visit you in the poor house.

Jim
04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Janet will feed the dog - and take care of you once you have shot all your toes off and put out both your eyes. We'll come visit you in the poor house.

Well, at least I got one friend left! :bigsmyl2:

Love Life
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
You'd have more friends if you weren't using up all the pellets. Just sayin...

Jim
04-05-2013, 04:23 PM
You'd have more friends if you weren't using up all the pellets. Just sayin...

Tell ya' what do, Dick. I'll make ya' an offer ya' can't refuse. Come on out to Floyd an' I'll share my whiskey AND my pellets with ya! I'll even put ya' up. You can sleep on the couch with Dolly and George.

Sound like a plan?

1hole
04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
"Component "shortage" or conspiricy... "

It's because of the Builder Brothers and Masons, funded by the UN, just to agrivate us.

GabbyM
04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
One look into my closet and you'd see where any conspiracy starts and ends. If you would discount when I shot trap at six thousand shotgun rounds per year. I've more center fire rifle ammo components than I've ever shot in a ten year period. Had most all this before the rush following our shocking election results. After which I piled on with another $800 or so worth. If I'd had more cash in hand I'd of bought ten times that amount. So now all my nuclear family has an ammo supply. Just last weekend I turned down another friends primer request at todays prices. It's just not for sale. I only give it away to my family.

My daughter just drew an AZ Elk tag. Her newlywed husband has been in the draw without success for five years. lol. He'll get to tend camp and cook while she hunts. Then of course help pack it out. For some odd reason I don't think he will not love the experience. They have ammo for this year and I've got them covered down the road. I've also a few months worth of my modest income in cash stored in a personal vault. I did that after the third time my E*Bay dot com brokerage account was hacked. I no longer do business with E*Bay since after they moved transaction offices from California to India they simply do not seam able to secure there accounts. Imagine that. It only cost me fifty dollars per incident but my accounts were hit for thousands. Thus a no confidence vote from me. An example. We are about to plant forty acres of corn and beans. This will cost at least eight thousand dollars. We have more than that in the bank but I don't have that much cash. So do I have enough cash? Do I have enough ammo? Food?

If you are living pay check to pay check you have not yet elevated yourself above Parental dependent, indentured servant or slave.

KohlerK91
04-05-2013, 09:29 PM
There are primers out there to be had. I know of commercial loaders that have at least 100K CCI small pistol primers on hand.

They are not for sale as components. (I asked to buy some) They are worth more to him as loaded ammo than selling even at $60 per thousand by themsleves.

As for ammo supply; Sure he could load 100K rounds of ammo and sell out in a few weekends, instead holds back the supply on purpose, keeping prices elevated. I suspect many others out there are doing the same.

So as far as a conspirecy ...........................Maybe.

John Boy
04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
A pellet rifle won't replace my centerfire or rimfire rifles... 5000 primed empty 22LF cases loaded with BP would get you of the hump:grin:

prs
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
John Boy, that is not a bad thought. Heck, I could just resort to my cap'n ball revolters and front stuffers. I've got several cases of Swiss. Maybe I could make a PRS boolit in .22 rimfire. Or use #11 caps as small pistol primers or drill my cases to accept 410 shotshell primers. Yeah, that's the ticket!

prs

FLHTC
04-06-2013, 04:54 AM
The Department of Homeland Security put out bids for 1.6 billion rounds according to the local newspaper. They're preparing too. That's about 8 rounds for every man, woman and child in this country. And people think its due to hoarders.

dragon813gt
04-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Read the contract terms and what the ammo manufacturers have said about it. It's an "up to" bid and it's over years. It will only take a small percentage of their capacity to produce it. I don't think they need hollow points but the government buys ammo in the same fashion all the time.

FLHTC
04-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Its over 5 years and where are the terms???
Don't you think the same equipment used for hollow points makes FMJ too? Ammo companies don't have presses for every style, they have change overs.

But still, that equates to over 5,000 a second, every second for five years.

btroj
04-06-2013, 06:58 AM
They use many presses for many bullets. I bet they have some presses almost dedicated to a single projectile.
It isn't a conspiracy. It is basic business. If I can make 100K of something per week and get orders for 100K per day then things back up, don't they? I can't just buy new presses or hire new people. People need training. Presses need to be built, set up, and calibrated. Can I get enou raw materials from suppliers to double my production? When things die back down can I afford to keep the equipment I just bought? Well it even pay for itself? Do I have room for it? What happens when I lay off those newly trained people?

The ammo the govt ordered is a drop in the bucket compared to what has been bough lately by private individuals.

It will all come back. Give it time.

FLHTC
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't say non stop production of six thousand a second for five years straight is a drop in the bucket. We're talking one point six billion.

Kevin Rohrer
04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
During WWII, the US made 1.8 BILLION rounds of small arms ammo PER MONTH. Any shortages we are experiencing now are due to the end-of-year slowdown and hoarding (which has happened before). The drought will be over by the end of May, especially as our military needs are decreasing.

My only shortage is in 30/06 and 7.62 brass.

FLHTC
04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
During WWII, the US made 1.8 BILLION rounds of small arms ammo PER MONTH. Any shortages we are experiencing now are due to the end-of-year slowdown and hoarding (which has happened before). The drought will be over by the end of May, especially as our military needs are decreasing.

Some interesting information you have there. Where did you obtain it? Google " ammunition production during WWII" and compare your data to that. You'll find some impressive figures but not the 130 billion rounds you claim.The US didn't produce one half of that, even supplying the Chinese.
Why would you compare today's shortage to WWII production anyway?
How many swords did England produce during the 100 years war? Lets throw that in there too.

Kevin Rohrer
04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I don't feed Trolls.

FLHTC
04-07-2013, 04:58 AM
I really expected something more intelligent than that.

btroj
04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I tend to agree regarding feeding the trolls.

Fine FLHTC, it is a conspiracy. That should make you happy.

I am back to my life which is sorely lacking in conspiracy.....

FLHTC
04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
I tend to agree regarding feeding the trolls.

Fine FLHTC, it is a conspiracy. That should make you happy.

I am back to my life which is sorely lacking in conspiracy.....

None of my comments reflect a belief that it is a conspiracy but you obviously didn't grasp that. I simply implied that the governments purchase is a tremendous amount, coupled with private purchases. Please quote my posts where i used the word "Conspiracy". Before you get on with your life that's sorely lacking......conspiracy?

Wis. Tom
04-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Our govt. is broke. Quit borrowing more money to buy more bullets, and everything else, for that matter. WE and our children, and our children's children, are buying this ammo. Defund Homeland Security, and a pile of other money pits, that the govt. borrows, to fund. That happens, and problem solved.

FLHTC
04-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I actually had to research the definition of "troll" since i last recall it being associated with the Norse culture.
Ah, its an internet slang term. I so wish the moderators would permit me to use the "slang" I feel fitting as replies.
Oh well, at least the thought is there.

357maximum
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
The general public has more ammo than the guvment will ever have....why do you think they are doing what they do to make us all into villans? Cannot control everything til the serfs have no guns/ammo.

I have no componenet or ammo shortage here. I still suffer my normal "lack of dedicated workforce" issues though. :lol: Plan ahead or pay later, this cycle of craziness will happen again, and again, and again................

daniel lawecki
04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Went to cabela's at 10:00 am. The parking lot look like rush hour in LA there was not much of anything reloading. I,m sorry to say I pickup some j bullets. The manufactures just can,t keep up. No shortage of gun buy,s at the counter. So on that note I,ll tahe my 17hmr revolver to the club and shoot.

38superdave
04-07-2013, 04:03 PM
I live a few miles from MidwaybackorderUSA, drive right past them on way to Graf & Sons even though Midway has customer pick. Doesn't do me much good constantly out of stock. Midway's success is now their failing with over 1 million customers, that's a lot of pressure on their ability to supply.

Graf & Sons has kept up with my shooting needs with exception to Hornady 121 grain HAP bullets, that's another story best saved for the range. Hornady issue not Graf issue, nothing a swage press, some Corbin dies and a good lead wire and copper jacket cup supply won't solve for NRA Action pistol.

My point is, shop around, supply is out here just have to look around a bit. Grafs put an order limit on their wholesale customers so the opportunist have been leashed at Graf & Sons at least.

Checked inventory this morning, Vihtavouri N320 is back in stock and my primer supply is strong, high time to get started with new Corbin equipment.

Load Safe,

dc.

38superdave
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Its over 5 years and where are the terms???
Don't you think the same equipment used for hollow points makes FMJ too? Ammo companies don't have presses for every style, they have change overs.

But still, that equates to over 5,000 a second, every second for five years.

True, Hornady will not shut down a press for a die change until machine goes down for maintenance. I waited, like everyone else did in 08 for 208 Amax, called once or twice a month for over six months and got the same response, "not in our production schedule," have no idea when next 208 production run will be.

Not sure how many machines Hornady runs but it's no where near the dies used.

dc.

gandog56
04-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Really? Try buying any powders or primers online lately? I am afraid I contributed to the panic. Remembering what happened the FIRST time Obama got elected, I stocked up on EVERYTHING last November. Already wishing I would have bought at least 1000 more of all the primers I restocked. Or maybe should have just bought 5000 the first time.

MtGun44
04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Ok, let's throw out some rough numbers. The FBI background checks for Nov 2012 were a bit
over 2 million, for Dec over 2 3/4 million and Jan 2.5 million. This is 7.25 million guns sold
in THREE MONTHS. So, let us suppose that maybe only 75% were new gun owners. Then
let us assume that these folks want some ammo for their new guns.

Further let us assume that of the 80 million gun owners, perhaps 15% got scared about gun
control and ammo taxes being thrown about on the web and wanted to stockpile a bit of
ammo. This adds 12 million more buyers, so we have ~5 million that have NO ammo
and 12 million that want to stock up a bit.

Let's suppose that the new buyers want to buy 10 boxes of ammo (like 50 rd pistol ammo),
and the old owners that are getting nervous want to upgrade from 5 boxes on the shelf to
maybe 15 more boxes of 50 on the shelf. So we have 5 million times 5 = 25 million boxes
and 12 million times 15 boxes = 180 million boxes of ammo. So we are needing to come
up with 205 MILLION BOXES of ammo - IN ADDITION to the normal amount being shot
up every month. How much is that ? NO idea, but the ammo manufacturers are set up
to provide EXACTLY that average amount being used. Think about it, it does not build up
in the warehouses over time, they continuously adjust production to match the long term
average usage.

Now they need 200 MILLION BOXES ( if 50 rds per box = 1 BILLION rounds) EXTRA.

And they need it in 4 - 5 months. So the makers have to make EXTRA ~200 million rounds
per month to catch up.

Not hard to understand what the problem is.

WE are the problem, combined with a scare that makes a bunch of us want to have MUCH
more ammo on hand than we used to keep.

By the way, I think these estimates are probably way low.

Bill

PS, NOW, we will want to store even MORE because we are scared of future shortages, so those
that had 2000 primers on hand will want to have 20,000 primers on hand. Those that had
200 primers on hand want 3000 on hand in the future. RIGHT?!

It will, therefore, take a heck of a lot LONGER to get things back to normal.

Love Life
04-07-2013, 05:13 PM
What I am about to type could get me in major trouble with the Masons, Government, and illuminati.

I was told:

Time travel will be invented 200 years from now. A group of southerners came across the technology by accident while trying to distill what they called "The super batch" of moonshine. A moon shine so crisp and refreshing, that any and all alcoholic beverages would pale in comparison. For years they pursued this batch. They tested cooking temps, techniques, ingredients, and even tried ceremonial dances. All for naught...

One day while testing a new flux capacitor one of the members mysteriously disappeared into thin air. Little did the others know that he had, in fact, disappeared back in time. While scratching their heads on what happened, another member reversed the flux capacitor. Lo and behold Billy Joe Bob mysteriously reappeared. He had wild stories of being transported back in time. The other members were skeptical, but they all tried it and verified that they had indeed discovered time travel.

So they took out millions upon millions of dollars in loans. With the fiat currency they bought precious metals. Once they had secured enough currency they all traveled back in time to...late December 2012. They immediately set about buying every AR/AK/semi-auto rifle and hand gun they could. They bought millions of them. With the weapon purchases they also bought all the ammunition every ammunition seller had. Their plan was coming together...

Why you ask? They bought all these weapons and ammo and transported them back in time to 1860. I suspect in the next couple months you will all notice the National Colors change. The history books will change. The very fabric of our existence will change. Some of us will still exist. Others will just disappear...

Be prepared.

I wish I didn't have this knowledge and my family and I are now in grave danger, but I had to get the word out.

That is what is causing the great ammo shortage of 2013.

R.Ph. 380
04-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't believe a word of it, Why if I were to bel......

357maximum
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
What I am about to type could get me in major trouble with the Masons, Government, and illuminati.

I was told:

Time travel will be invented 200 years from now. A group of southerners came across the technology by accident while trying to distill what they called "The super batch" of moonshine. A moon shine so crisp and refreshing, that any and all alcoholic beverages would pale in comparison. For years they pursued this batch. They tested cooking temps, techniques, ingredients, and even tried ceremonial dances. All for naught...

One day while testing a new flux capacitor one of the members mysteriously disappeared into thin air. Little did the others know that he had, in fact, disappeared back in time. While scratching their heads on what happened, another member reversed the flux capacitor. Lo and behold Billy Joe Bob mysteriously reappeared. He had wild stories of being transported back in time. The other members were skeptical, but they all tried it and verified that they had indeed discovered time travel.

So they took out millions upon millions of dollars in loans. With the fiat currency they bought precious metals. Once they had secured enough currency they all traveled back in time to...late December 2012. They immediately set about buying every AR/AK/semi-auto rifle and hand gun they could. They bought millions of them. With the weapon purchases they also bought all the ammunition every ammunition seller had. Their plan was coming together...

Why you ask? They bought all these weapons and ammo and transported them back in time to 1860. I suspect in the next couple months you will all notice the National Colors change. The history books will change. The very fabric of our existence will change. Some of us will still exist. Others will just disappear...

Be prepared.

I wish I didn't have this knowledge and my family and I are now in grave danger, but I had to get the word out.

That is what is causing the great ammo shortage of 2013.

I am pretty sure it was the ultimate boolit lube they was workin on, but the rest sounds bout right. :lol: :mrgreen:

swheeler
04-08-2013, 12:28 AM
:veryconfu[smilie=l:

I'll Make Mine
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
They bought all these weapons and ammo and transported them back in time to 1860. I suspect in the next couple months you will all notice the National Colors change. The history books will change. The very fabric of our existence will change. Some of us will still exist. Others will just disappear...

Be prepared.

This is completely silly. It's obvious that if the past is changed, an alternate world is created and anyone who wasn't at the change point will notice nothing, but those who made the change can only return to their present in the new timeline. So, while Billy Joe Bob might return to 2213 to see what kind of world would result from the South winning the Civil War in 1862 (and I suspect he won't like it much; may not even see much of a difference), the only part of this that we of 2013 would notice is the sudden vanishment of millions of ARs and thousands of tons of ammunition.

Love Life
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
This is completely silly. It's obvious that if the past is changed, an alternate world is created and anyone who wasn't at the change point will notice nothing, but those who made the change can only return to their present in the new timeline. So, while Billy Joe Bob might return to 2213 to see what kind of world would result from the South winning the Civil War in 1862 (and I suspect he won't like it much; may not even see much of a difference), the only part of this that we of 2013 would notice is the sudden vanishment of millions of ARs and thousands of tons of ammunition.

You just proved my point. It seems it has already started.

Bullet Caster
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
While at work at the veteran's store here in Pigeon Forge, TN, a man from the ammunition industry came and we discussed the non-availability of ammo and components. The man (who will remain nameless) said that the govt. was purchasing everything manufactured from ammo to components as soon as it is released. Added to this fact are all the govt. manufacturers of ammo who have contracts with the feds. This is the first stage of disarming America.

Since not wanting to ruffle feathers about 2nd amendment rights, the feds are trying the "back door" approach to complete gun control by making ammunition and components not available to the general public. He told me that since everyone is against gun control, the feds are trying this approach to gun control by keeping ammunition from the general public.

I asked how long do you think this will continue. He said until all ammunition was diverted to the feds and contracts could be changed for all ammunition manufacturers and component manufacturers to sell only to govt. agencies. If you don't have any ammunition, you cannot shoot your firearm. I know that Dept. of Homeland Security just purchased over 480 tons of ammunition. What in the world does the fed. govt. need with .22 rf? Merely to keep it out of the hands of the public. Since the govt. is buying all the ammo, then it really belongs to us. That's our tax dollars at work. We need to take it back from the feds. BC

357maximum
04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
:lol: ROTFLMAO :lol:

That same caca came up the last time all the gunowners had their heads collectively up their *censored* over ammo and components. This too shall pass..

Love Life
04-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm sticking with the time travel story.

1Shirt
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Haven' bought a pellet gun YET, but did get a blowgun, and it is kind of fun, silent, and ammo is recycleable, and cheap!
1shirt!

10-x
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
L.L......you must have read "Guns of the South"...........LOL. IMHO there are way to many "weasels" out there, gubbermint type and gougers/speculator type.

Bullet Caster
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Dick, I'm more inclined to believe the time travel story. At least it makes sense. Lol. BC