PDA

View Full Version : Seating Gas Checks with Lee Sizer

Jon
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I've seen that some don't lube the bullets before seating gas checks with the push through sizer. The directions say to lube with Alox, and then size/seat gas check.

Is one method preferable? I'd rather not lead up my sizer if I don't have to, but I can see gas checks seating better on unlubed bullets.

bstone5
04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I use a little of the Imperial sizing wax before pushing thru the Lee sizer.

I use the Imperial sizing wax on plain cast bullets and powder coated bullets.

Installing the gas checks works best if the Lee sizer is inverted and a hand press is used to push the check and bullet thru the press.

The common press is the 1/2 ton press from Harbor Freight.

P.K.
04-06-2013, 07:56 AM
If you are using a flat nose design just flip the boolit over and push it through that way. If your mold is tossing them fairly well and they clip right on try dipping them in LLA and letting them dry. Then size.
A set of these makes dipping pretty easy no matter what design: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/stainless-steel-jewelry-tweezers-111724/

gundownunder
04-06-2013, 08:24 AM
It doesn't take much lube to go through the sizing die.
I use a rag with a little olive oil drizzled over it, pile a bunch of bullets on the rag and wrap them up and give them a bit of a rub.

I use the beer can gas checks and they don't handle the cookie cutter to well when I pan lube and the cookie cutter won't work on unsized bullits so after I drizzle and size I pan lube, then shove them back through the sizer butt first to seat the check.
Yeah, I know it's tedious, but it works.

TangoDownPro
05-31-2013, 02:35 AM
It doesn't take much lube to go through the sizing die.
I use a rag with a little olive oil drizzled over it, pile a bunch of bullets on the rag and wrap them up and give them a bit of a rub.

I use the beer can gas checks and they don't handle the cookie cutter to well when I pan lube and the cookie cutter won't work on unsized bullits so after I drizzle and size I pan lube, then shove them back through the sizer butt first to seat the check.
Yeah, I know it's tedious, but it works.

That sounds solid to me. I care less if it's tedious or not. It works, and works well. That is what matters to me. Figure I am already tedious and extremely meticulous about my reloads...can't hurt to be the same when I start casting. The more I read posts in this forum the more excited I am to get started. Wife is going to hate me.

Jim
05-31-2013, 06:25 AM
I've been checking with Lee push-thru dies for years and don't pre-lube. When I get a new sizing die, I polish the throat with a bit of 4/0 steel wool on a section of cleaning rod or some such in an electric drill. Makes it way mo' bedduh!

Garyshome
05-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Put some on some crappy bullets I got in a DEAL, makes the boolits useable

blikseme300
06-08-2013, 08:00 AM
I just spray a light mist of case lube over the boolit prior to sizing in a Lee sizer. The lube is cheap as it is self mixed using Lanolin and alcohol.

willyboy
06-09-2013, 01:30 AM
I've never had any problem just useing Alox. The trick with any lube is don't over do it.

HARRYMPOPE
06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
I have never used lube with the Lee's and think the lack of it help to seat the GC.I bet i have over 15,000 though my .309 and haven't see any lead building up.

John Boy
06-10-2013, 02:08 AM
i pan lube all my bullets after I seat the GC with the Lee Lube Sizer naked of an lube