PDA

View Full Version : 54 sharps question

charger 1
04-05-2013, 06:13 AM
In desperate need of an answer but been all over the forum and can't get an answer. I'll try here. Got a chance at a farmingdale shiloh 54 carbine. Don't want to get into the ring tail paper cartridge thing. Does anyone have a mold they get good solid 1" groups @ 50 with in this type gun?. If anyone could please answer. Got a chance at a deal but don't want it if it wont hit spit

Mike Brooks
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
NEI sells a nice ring tail mold that will shoot a 1 hole group @ 50 yards. You don't have to use a paper cartridge with it, I don't. I just drop the bullet in and then the powder, works great.

Shooter
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I had a Italian paper-cutter Sharps. I used Lee's .54 REAL bullet .
I never shot groups with it. I did kill a groundhog at about 50 yards.

Fly
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I just got one.I have a ring tail mold.But the bullet I'm using is a mini ball.54cal.I,m using
the plasic insert deals I got with this gun
There really slick.You pour a given amount of powder you like in it.Then I stick a lubed
mini in the end of this thing.I make them up before going to the range.You just push
the bullet in holding the barrel down & it drops the powder in behind it.Pull the sleave
& close the breach.
http://www.shelltube.us/HowWorks.html
I have a video I will add as soon as I can find it.Lyman or Lee .54 cal
mini ball molds work great with those guns.
Fly

charger 1
04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
How dirty or how much blow back through the action is there?

dualsport
04-05-2013, 01:10 PM
I've always wanted one of those Sharps. Can one of you guys point me at a good source of info. I'd like to read up on them. Thanks. (I've avoided buying one for years because I thought they were not so accurate-maybe I've been misinformed?)

Fly
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Bud I get NO blow by.Hell the one I have is a IAB.There is nothing wrong with this rifle.The one your thinking
about is better quality than mine for sure.But you read all this **** from people & it scared me, buying a gun
that has been blashed over & over.

My gun goes off ever time with CCI caps that they say will not work.If you buy that bad boy, PM me & I will help
you any way I can.That rifle will shoot lights out.

Fly

Fly
04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
I've always wanted one of those Sharps. Can one of you guys point me at a good source of info. I'd like to read up on them. Thanks. (I've avoided buying one for years because I thought they were not so accurate-maybe I've been misinformed?)

Well do they shoot like a Gibb's at over 300 yards?No, do they shoot as accerate as a brass case Sharps, no but they do shoot very
well up to 200 yds.I have never shot past that YET.But I love mine.You must remember these are black powder rifles.Any BP rifle
takes alot of tuning.If you don't like doing that, go smokless.

To me that is the fun in owning them.
Fly

charger 1
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
well do they shoot like a gibb's at over 300 yards?no, do they shoot as accerate as a brass case sharps, no but they do shoot very
well up to 200 yds.i have never shot past that yet.but i love mine.you must remember these are black powder rifles.any bp rifle
takes alot of tuning.if you don't like doing that, go smokless.

To me that is the fun in owning them.
Fly

the one i'm looking @. 1100$

charger 1
04-05-2013, 07:00 PM
THAT's what I was afeared of

54 CALIBER BLACK POWDER ONLY right on the side of the barrel. Way to ugly a gun up

Mike Brooks
04-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I have three percusion sharps. A 50 Farmingdale carbine, a .54 Farmingdale military and a .54 Pedersoli military. I have never shot past 100 yards (on the bucket list to shoot farther) but at 100 yards they are capable of one hole accuracy. The Farmingdales will shoot longer than the Pedersoli with out the action freezing up. The pedersoli is good for 10 to 15 shots before drooping the block and relubing, which is not a big deal. They all pas a bit of gas but it's not a big deal. All three of my percusion sharps out shoot my 45-70 Sharps at 100 yards.

Mike Brooks
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
BTW, $1100 for a Farmingdale Percussion is a fair price. That's about what I paid for mine, The pedersoli was $700. All used.

Nobade
04-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Local gun shop has a Pedersoli military rifle, 54 cal, brand new for $1000. I have been watching it for about 6 months now. I am hoping somebody else will buy it or they will mark it way down...

Still a pretty good price for a new rifle though.

-Nobade

Fly
04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Well you can look at it like this.They will NEVER DROP IN VALUE, even with black powder only on the barrel.(wink)

Fly

pmer
04-06-2013, 09:08 AM
The Sharp's web site has info in there forum section. They are neat though. I can imagine the DI pacing back and forth yelling about how these breach loaders far surpass the outdated ML.

Fly
04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
The Sharp's web site has info in there forum section. They are neat though. I can imagine the DI pacing back and forth yelling about how these breach loaders far surpass the outdated ML.

In what way, do they mean far surpass muzzleloaders?What form are you reading?just curious.

Fly

Southron
04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Over the past 40 years, I have owned two original percussion Sharps, a Farmingdale Sharps and now I own a Pedersoli New Model 1859 Sharps. I shoot mine in N-SSA competition:

www.n-ssa.org/

All have been wonderfully accurate. With my Pedersoli I have no problem shooting "One hole groups" off the bench @ 100 yards.

When I first got the Pedersoli, it would shoot about a dozen rounds before "locking up" due to black powder fouling (I never had that problem with my Farmingdale Sharps.) Anyway, I did a $20.00 "O" Ring job and now my Pedersoli Sharps is good for 60 to 75 rounds before the action starts to get difficult to work.

This is a BIG DEAL in N-SSA competition because the Carbine Team Matches are RAPID FIRE MATCHES.

Regarding a bullet mould-

I use a Pedersoli Sharps Bullet Mould:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7977

The Pedersoli mould uses Lyman Handles.

I make my cartridges using Ladies Hair Curling Papers. They are the right size, cheap and completely combust. Some other Sharps shooters use the Double Wide Cigarette papers but they are expensive as they have a lot of hidden Federal and State Tobacco taxes buried in their price.

You won't go wrong with that Farmingdale Sharps!